EulersK's Roach Farm

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Behold, what has begun to fund this increasingly expensive hobby. I finally got around to making some cheap shelves to aid in efficiently selling these little buggers off.

These are the breeders - a colony of adult dubia roaches with a 1:3 sex ratio. Freshly separated from the herd this morning.
breeders.jpg

And here are the feeders, what I sell and feed to my collection of tarantulas.
feeders.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
May I suggest some delicious dubia tapioca? https://entomologytoday.org/2016/03/17/video-on-how-to-make-delicious-cockroach-tapioca/

I tried the recipe with some of my lobsters, and I must say that it is quite palatable. Especially if one doubles the amount of chocolate sauce used in the video! ;) Not sure how the dubias would taste though...
My senior year in college, I took an entomology course wherein the professor brought in insect snacks for the class. She made the typical salt and vinegar baked crickets that are so common, but she also made "chocolate chirp cookies" and roach soup. Just broth soup with cooked roaches floating around. The cookies tasted identical to normal cookies, but the soup was... interesting. It didn't taste bad at all, but the texture. Ugh.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
My senior year in college, I took an entomology course wherein the professor brought in insect snacks for the class. She made the typical salt and vinegar baked crickets that are so common, but she also made "chocolate chirp cookies" and roach soup. Just broth soup with cooked roaches floating around. The cookies tasted identical to normal cookies, but the soup was... interesting. It didn't taste bad at all, but the texture. Ugh.
What you're describing reminds me of the dinner table scene in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" where the characters are served a soup that has eyeballs floating in it. Just replace the eyes with roaches and I think you've got a direct comparison.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, skip to 1:34 of the video.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What you're describing reminds me of the dinner table scene in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" where the characters are served a soup that has eyeballs floating in it. Just replace the eyes with roaches and I think you've got a direct comparison.

Same idea, but it was much more of an Asian style broth soup with vegetables and noodles. It was very good, other than the roaches themselves. It definitely had an earthy taste, beyond just from the vegetables. I think the roaches would have been fine had the legs been removed - I got a leg stuck in my molar and I was done.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Same idea, but it was much more of an Asian style broth soup with vegetables and noodles. It was very good, other than the roaches themselves. It definitely had an earthy taste, beyond just from the vegetables. I think the roaches would have been fine had the legs been removed - I got a leg stuck in my molar and I was done.
Those damn cockroach legs! Always ruining everyone's meal! I guess that's why no one ever comes to my place for dinner. Maybe if I started removing the legs they'd come see me? ;)

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Should I take that cake as a suggestion, @EulersK? I would, but I have no idea how I'd work cockroaches into a cake recipe! :p

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
It's kind of hard to mess up frosting.
Wise words not doubt, but frosting is an art, my friend. Anyone can frost a cake, but not everyone can make it look good.

I seem to have an affinity for derailing threads, don't I? This post was originally about your roach breeding operation, right? I have no idea when food came into the mix, but it seems that food is always in the mix for me.

louise f

Arachnoangel

Love those Indiana jones movies. Too funny when she gets all that gross food. :D