Eucratoscelus pachypus YAY!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
After passing them up a few times and immensely regretting it after, I finally bought one! She will be arriving upcoming Tuesday and I'm super excited. The lady has a bodylength of 3 cm, so I'm expecting it to be around 9 cm DLS. Care seems simple, deep tub of substrate for vertical burrowing, waterdish and a pre-dug burrow beneath a piece of bark. One thing that puzzles me is the condition of the substrate that is recommended. Some posts on here say keep it as dry as possible, or it will get ill. Other posts say keep it damp or it will get ill....
Help, anyone?

Edit: not long ago I explained how my husband kept up to date on which spider I am talking about by referring to their looks or demeanor. He already has a description on this one...lol! Seeing them on a pic he commented 'it looks like she is wearing pants'
Hilarious!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I love these goofballs and they are fossorial without a doubt! I had a female and it was definitely a pet hole. lol

I kept mine on a coco fiber and peat mix with a small layer of a vermiculite along the bottom to allow for a little bit of water to get into the burrow for hydration every once in a while. I kept a water dish full all the time and temperature of 75-80 fahrenheit. The care is similar to an OBT.

Edit: Added the link to a "Husbandry" video.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I love these goofballs and they arI fossorial without a doubt! I had a female and it was definitely a pet hole. lol

I kept mine on a coco fiber and peat mix with a small layer of a vermiculite along the bottom to allow for a little bit of water to get into the burrow for hydration every once in a while. I kept a water dish full all the time and temperature of 75-80 fahrenheit. The care is similar to an OBT.

Edit: Added the link to a "Husbandry" video.
Thank you!

I don't have an OBT though, and probably never will ;) But this means i need to keep her dry, except for some damp substrate deep below? Or just keep her dry altogether like P.muticus?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Thank you!

I don't have an OBT though, and probably never will ;) But this means i need to keep her dry, except for some damp substrate deep below? Or just keep her dry altogether like P.muticus?
Ah, great choice you made here. E.pachypus is one of my favourite species. I keep both mine in completely dry enclosures with a water dish. The burrows they make are really interesting and I haven´t seen any other species making them in that manner.

Pmuticus704

Arachnopeon
This is a species I have been looking for... Who is selling them? I have not been able to find a seller

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
This is a species I have been looking for... Who is selling them? I have not been able to find a seller
I don´t know how the situation is in America, but they are easy to come by in Europe. I bought mine from two different sellers in the UK.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Yeah, they're not all that easy to find in the USA. It's likely because almost all of the adult specimens are WC and female, which makes it difficult to find males for breeding. Plus, they're not really all that sought after and those who have been "harvesting" them WC really aren't these days.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
="TownesVanZandt, post: 2585745, member: 109156I]I don´t know how the situation is in America, but they are easy to come by in Europe. I bought mine from two different sellers in the UK.
They aren't much for sale here as well, which is why i snatched it yp asap :D
@Pmuticus704
I don't think naming the seller is useful for you, since I am Dutch and you live in Ohio :p

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
They aren't much for sale here as well, which is why i snatched it yp asap :D
Hmmm. I have never thought of them as rare. I have an AF and a male that should mature within the next couple of moults. I had plans to sell him, but maybe I should attempt to breed them instead :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Hmmm. I have never thought of them as rare. I have an AF and a male that should mature within the next couple of moults. I had plans to sell him, but maybe I should attempt to breed them instead :)
You should! I have seen only 3 for sale here in the Netherlands in the past year.
I read that they are hard to breed though. Not sure why...

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After passing them up a few times and immensely regretting it after, I finally bought one! She will be arriving upcoming Tuesday and I'm super excited. The lady has a bodylength of 3 cm, so I'm expecting it to be around 9 cm DLS. Care seems simple, deep tub of substrate for vertical burrowing, waterdish and a pre-dug burrow beneath a piece of bark. One thing that puzzles me is the condition of the substrate that is recommended. Some posts on here say keep it as dry as possible, or it will get ill. Other posts say keep it damp or it will get ill....
Help, anyone?

Edit: not long ago I explained how my husband kept up to date on which spider I am talking about by referring to their looks or demeanor. He already has a description on this one...lol! Seeing them on a pic he commented 'it looks like she is wearing pants'
Hilarious!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Congratulations on my favourite species that I don't own yet I'm not jealous honestly.
I've been eyeing them up for 2 years and I keep putting it off I need to take action

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Congratulations on my favourite species that I don't own yet I'm not jealous honestly.
I've been eyeing them up for 2 years and I keep putting it off I need to take action
I know the feeling. I kept putting it off, only to regret it later and, like you, getting jealous as hell to see them sold. Problem is, they grow real slow, and for that reason, are quite expensive when sexed and bigger. Just go for it next time you see one for sale ;)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know the feeling. I kept putting it off, only to regret it later and, like you, getting jealous as hell to see them sold. Problem is, they grow real slow, and for that reason, are quite expensive when sexed and bigger. Just go for it next time you see one for sale ;)
I've been a really busy boy and I've found some they are all unsexed juveniles now I need to see if I have a spare enclosure

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
IMG_20170221_164646.jpg She's here, and she's gorgeous. I haven't called any T a sweety so far, but this lady definitely is a sweet girl :)
Not defensive at all (though that can change of course when settling in), a little speedy but nothing like my E.murinus or Psalmopoeus.
Very bad pics, I know but I only had my phone cam...at least you can see her sexy fluffy legs :)

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
i think the goddess has a challenger. :angelic: @Chris LXXIX
@Chris LXXIX
Well, since my Princess doesn't have her sexy legs quite yet, this girl is titleholder of the sexiest legs at the moment.
Or maybe they are both Queens, but simply two pieces of the same coin, or like yin and yang :), one friendly but with a sharp edge, and the other dark but with some positivity)
(Didn't know keeping Theraphosidae involved philosophy...:p)

louise f

Arachnoangel
Congratz on such a lovely species. <3 They are truly worth it <3:) I really love my girl. <3