Eublaberus sp. “Ivory” aka ivory head roaches

Zevil

Arachnosquire
Do I really need to use substrate for this species? Can I keep them without substrate in a tub with egg crates just like dubia?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think they work either way, they're pretty hardy. I've got substrate in mine, but anymore it's looking like they ate it and it's all just frass now.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I agree with the above, they don't seem to care. I use wood shavings with mine and they like to be buried in the substrate 100% of the time.

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They will survive and breed without substrate but they are obligate burrowers, even adults stay burrowed most of the time. Males might also chase each others and nip their wings all the time if they're out in the open.

Zevil

Arachnosquire
What do you guys think of them as a feeder compared to dubia?

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
In my case, I don't keep B. dubia (never liked this species, and I don't keep what I don't like)
The ivory are kinda "iffy" as feeders. The adults are good for some large predators, but skittish predators avoid them. The nymphs on the other hand, are better prey in terms of size, but they burrow super fast and their smooth curved body and spiky legs make it difficult for some predators to handle.

If you want to know my favorite feeder there's another active thread in this forum ("glowspots as feeders") where I talk about it, but beware! Apparently I am violating some unwritten law by feeding with an endangered roach species. Maybe I shouldn't tell anyone that I also feed using one of the most expensive roach species in the hobby currently...

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What do you guys think of them as a feeder compared to dubia?
They grow significantly larger than B. dubia but are less prolific and they start burrowing as soon as they hit the substrate, dubias will burrow as nymphs but adults don't usually do it
E. posticus are more prolific than the ivories in my experience but they smell a lot worse especially when they are kept crowded (I no longer keep this species)
Dubias have become the most popular feeder roach for a good reason, they don't stink (as long as they are kept dry and you do regular maintainance), can't climb smooth surfaces nor fly, breed fast enough and are easy to sex.

Zevil

Arachnosquire
What is their lifespan? How long it takes from a newborn to reach maturity? How long is the gestation period?