Eublaberus prosticus

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We were just given 20 "Eublaberus prosticus" (a.k.a. orange head roach) from a friend and after we transfered them into a 20 gallon tank on dry peat moss we noticed all of the mature adults were hanging in or around the water dish. :?
Is this normal? should the substrate be moist?
After searching AB and other various sites we could find nothing that referenced to dry or moist substrate?
Any suggestions other than the normal roach diet for these guys?

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They don't need moist substrate but they need a water source such as fruits, vegetables, water crystals, something like that. They like more protein then some other roaches, so you can give them dry dog or cat food. Don't keep them with any other roach species as they will sometimes eat them when they are molting. So I have heard, I've only kept them solo myself. They are hardy and breed very fast. I like them.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info... We just got these very cool guys and really want them to flourish.
Are there any particular veggies to avoid?
They don't seem to care about the banana we gave them; just took a sniff and walked away.
Any suggestions? :?

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't really know what to avoid. I've gotten very lazy lately so I use a lot of baby food, Gerber's organic. Apple, pear, blueberry, squash, sweet potato, carrot, all good. I have cats, so I grind their food in a cheapo electric coffee grinder. And I've even taken to using premade water crystals, not even making my own I'm so lazy. I think these guys like melon--anything watery.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the info...again. hehe

Thanks for the info...again. We gave them some kitten chow, but didn't grind it up. They seem to be eating it just fine, though. :? I'm going to give them some cabbage tonight and see how they like that. Maybe some apple slices, tooooo These guys are so COOL! I don't know why we didn't get any, sooner.
~Rochelle

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They don't need moist substrate but they need a water source such as fruits, vegetables, water crystals, something like that. They like more protein then some other roaches, so you can give them dry dog or cat food. Don't keep them with any other roach species as they will sometimes eat them when they are molting. So I have heard, I've only kept them solo myself. They are hardy and breed very fast. I like them.
they are killers for other species. i feed my orange heads mangled lobster roaches and the oranges shark pack them! they also ate ALL of the first generation/brood of hissers i produced. i recently fed my little colony a full sized dead mouse and their was only fur left after 8 hours

Thanks for the info... We just got these very cool guys and really want them to flourish.
Are there any particular veggies to avoid?
They don't seem to care about the banana we gave them; just took a sniff and walked away.
Any suggestions? :?
i don't feed my roaches any leafs or greens unless they are certifed organic AND pesticide free. i try to avoid high surface area to volume stuff. think about the stuff pregnant ladies shouldn't eat, sort of. they will eat bananas if they need some water or nutrient from it.

Thanks for the info...again. We gave them some kitten chow, but didn't grind it up. They seem to be eating it just fine, though. :? I'm going to give them some cabbage tonight and see how they like that. Maybe some apple slices, tooooo These guys are so COOL! I don't know why we didn't get any, sooner.
~Rochelle
i used to crush up cat food for the babies to eat but it isn't necesary for the species i keep. in fact, the crushed food seemed more prone to molding.

zarko

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i know that roaches need more protein..but how much...?
doese dog food have enought quontiti ? around 25-30%

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Protein requirements..

We've had the best luck with kitten and puppy chow formulas...the protein levels are about 40%. We also quit grinding it up and now experience less mold problems.;) This level also seems to better satisfy the "wing biter" varieties such as B. dubia.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Orangehead food

For years and years I have kept mine on dry cypress mulch, occasionally pouring a little water on one half of it. Then I occasionally throw in any organic mattter: fruits, fruit peels/cores/seeds/rinds, chicken bones, dead mice, whats left of my sandwich, salad, cake, you name it. They eat everything and leave clean bones/fur/seeds to show for it. Every so many months I clean the tank out and put all the roaches in some fresh mulch and am amazed at the clean mouse skeletons/skulls, peach pits, apple seeds, etc. that are in the waste I put to the garden...

They will even eat other roaches so I don't recommend putting them with other species. They also eat each others wings off if they don't get enough food themselves. But arguably the easiest of all tropical roaches to keep.

2 cents.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Questions

For years and years I have kept mine on dry cypress mulch, occasionally pouring a little water on one half of it. Then I occasionally throw in any organic mattter: fruits, fruit peels/cores/seeds/rinds, chicken bones, dead mice, whats left of my sandwich, salad, cake, you name it. They eat everything and leave clean bones/fur/seeds to show for it. Every so many months I clean the tank out and put all the roaches in some fresh mulch and am amazed at the clean mouse skeletons/skulls, peach pits, apple seeds, etc. that are in the waste I put to the garden...

They will even eat other roaches so I don't recommend putting them with other species. They also eat each others wings off if they don't get enough food themselves. But arguably the easiest of all tropical roaches to keep.

2 cents.
What size enclosure do you have yours in? Aproximately how many do you have?
Thanks for the info. :D

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How fast will the E. prosticus breed?

Thanks for all the great info! Here's another "newbie" question regarding these cool little dudes; how fast will they breed? Ours are kept at around 80 degrees and have been given a 10gal tank with aprox. 7-8 inches of peat/coconut fiber. We have about 20 of them in total, including 8 adults; the rest a mix of juvies. Should I acquire more for diversity in the gene pool? :?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for all the great info! Here's another "newbie" question regarding these cool little dudes; how fast will they breed? Ours are kept at around 80 degrees and have been given a 10gal tank with aprox. 7-8 inches of peat/coconut fiber. We have about 20 of them in total, including 8 adults; the rest a mix of juvies. Should I acquire more for diversity in the gene pool? :?
i started with about 20 nymphs. i started seeing/noticing fresh babies about 5-6 months after my first few starter-nymphs had matured. the babies were only apparent when i stirred up the 4-6" of sub they were in. my temps were probably higher than yours, but i take fairly terrible care of my roaches so maybe if you are better with food and water it would even out the temp thing