Euathlus truculentus

Mara

Arachnopeon
So, the pet store I usually go to has a spider labled Euathlus truculentus. Now, the first few times I saw it, I didn't pay it much attention, it's a fairly small, scrawny and rugged looking little one.
Curiousity got the best of me, however, and I started researching the species - or, trying to. The pictures of the genus Euathlus I found showed rather cute, rugged little fellows with a nice metallic sheen to them.
Taking a closer look at the one in the pet store, I can see a somewhat golden sheen on the carapace. Other than that, it's mostly dark brown/black - but the lighting is poor. (My G. rosea looked like a rather drab orange/brown spider in the tank at the shop, but once I got her into some proper light she showed me a nice shimmering copper tone.)

I have no way of telling if this spider really is what the shop claims - I've read that Euathlus sp. gold is often being sold as Euathlus truculentus - but it's growing on me, and I find it a rather loveable.

So far I've managed to find out that they like it on the dry side, like the G. rosea for example, and that they are mostly calm and hardy. That's about as much info I have been able to dig out.
How large to the average E. truculentus get? How common are they? (Meaning, if I pass this chance of getting it, how much will I regret it later? :D )

I would appreciate if anyone with some info and perhaps a bit experience with this species could shed some light here. :)

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Judging from the pictures I just saw I would definitely snatch that up! One site I saw says they get around 10-12cm.

Mara

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I did get it :D
My fifth T!

I got it a little cheaper because it had lost a leg in a recent molt, and they gave me the old molt so I could sex it. Turned out to be a little female beauty :)

Gonna try to get a good pic of her once she's settled in, hopefully one that will make her justice.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are very beautyful T´s, and they are as calm as they come.

good luck;)

Mara

Arachnopeon
Here comes a couple of pics. They don't do her justice though, I really need to upgrade that camera :eek:

Attachments

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wish i could offer more info than what i already gave. i would like to add you've got a very nice looking lady there! :D