Euathlus sp. Red or N. chromatus?

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Yesterday I asked my mom to get me crickets from the local exotic pet store (Wild Things, REALLY great place, only run by one man but has all sorts of animals that are extremely well kept for, wish I could go there more often) And she saw some of the tarantulas he had available, two G. porteri, a small B. smithi, an A. franki (Which I know isn't a tarantula) and an adult female Euathlus sp. red for 85$, and an adult female N. chromatus for 100$ both have the cage included. So I want to decide what one I want as I'm going back there today. I can only get one since it's a birthday present, and I'm leaning towards the E. sp red for a few reasons:

- I really want to start breeding, and I think this species is a little more sought after so there's less chance of me being stuck with a bunch of baby spiders
- Since they're generally a very "docile" T, my mom might like it more than my other spiders, and she's already starting to like them (she claims my C. lividum is hers lol) Which in turn means she'd be more willing to let me get more T's with less fuss
- This species is a slow grower, so I feel like it would be better to buy it now as an adult instead of either having to wait years for one to grow or wait around to find another adult, where as N. chromatus are cheap and grow relatively fast (I think, never properly owned one) So I could just buy a sling or maybe even get one as a freebie later and it wouldn't be a choice I regret.

However, I kind of want to get the N. chromatus because all of my current T's are small, only one is mature, so I'd like an adult, big T to own

Which one do you guys think I should get?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If you have a C. lividum, then an N. chromatus is no problem as long as you don't mind the hairs. I personally want one of those, but I am taking a break from buying for a while... E. sp. red is also great, with amazing personality and curiosity (as much as a spider can have). I would go for the N. chromatus just for the amazing colors and feeding response on them ;)

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
If you have a C. lividum, then an N. chromatus is no problem as long as you don't mind the hairs. I personally want one of those, but I am taking a break from buying for a while... E. sp. red is also great, with amazing personality and curiosity (as much as a spider can have). I would go for the N. chromatus just for the amazing colors and feeding response on them ;)
I LOVE N. chromatus colors, but I really want to influence my mom to love spiders like I do, haha, and she thinks the stripes on the legs are ugly, in fact any spider with stripes is ugly to her :mad:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
That is unfortunate... wait until she sees 80% of all NW terrestrials ;) Could always ask to get both, one for her and one for you. May not work, but worth a shot :D

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It depends on what you're looking for. Based on what you've said, I think the Euathlus would be your best bet. I absolutely love anything Nhandu, but they're not... cuddly, so to speak. The E. sp. "Red" will be pretty darn docile, and they're a joy.

cold blood

Staff member
If these were all slings, the chromatus would be the easy choice. But when considering adults and the pricing, the obvious choice is that sp. red all the way. That's 3 years ago pricing.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I went with the chromatus because my mom already loves my little B. albo, who's as "docile" as they come. Also the pet store manager gets E. sp. quite frequently, this is the second time I've seen them there, so I may just wait for him to get another then buy it with my own money

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
The chromatus is a good 6" <3 I needed to put her in a better suited cages (For me personally, I like them in smaller, plastic cages that are easier to move around) I poked her, the first time she didn't react, then the second time my mom was like "Is she dead", then on the third poke, the N. chromatus I've dubbed "Pocky" swung around and gave a massive threat posture, which she continued for about 30 minutes until I moved her into her new cage. She's surprisingly calm though, didn't flick hairs or give a second threat pose, mostly did that thing where the T pretends to be a rock and doesn't budge :rofl: I love her

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I think I made the right choice, my mom thinks she looks awesome apparently hahah, and is sad that Pocky has vanished into her hide

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Nice! i have both, both juveniles. the Nhandu is very skittish, runs at the slightest disturbance. while my Euathlus is very curious (once with rehouse she grabbed the paintbrush and started climbing it). she was really good at it too.

cold blood

Staff member
The chromatus is a good 6" <3 I needed to put her in a better suited cages (For me personally, I like them in smaller, plastic cages that are easier to move around) I poked her, the first time she didn't react, then the second time my mom was like "Is she dead", then on the third poke, the N. chromatus I've dubbed "Pocky" swung around and gave a massive threat posture, which she continued for about 30 minutes until I moved her into her new cage. She's surprisingly calm though, didn't flick hairs or give a second threat pose, mostly did that thing where the T pretends to be a rock and doesn't budge :rofl: I love her
Curious...why in the world would you poke it, much less multiple times.

Nice t, enjoy.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Even if I prefer A.geniculata (if compared to N.chromatus, I mean) I love that old "Grey Zombie" of once color those itchy lovely have :)

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Curious...why in the world would you poke it, much less multiple times.

Nice t, enjoy.
I was trying to get her into the cup to move her into her new cage (Which is smaller than her previous one, so I couldn't do my favorite "put the old cage in the new one" method.) The tank she was in also had SUPER low substrate :mad: So I didn't want to risk using the not quite preferable method of getting her up the side of the old cage and into the new one.
I would never just start poking my T's randomly hahah, that would be weird

cold blood

Staff member
I was trying to get her into the cup to move her into her new cage (Which is smaller than her previous one, so I couldn't do my favorite "put the old cage in the new one" method.) The tank she was in also had SUPER low substrate :mad: So I didn't want to risk using the not quite preferable method of getting her up the side of the old cage and into the new one.
I would never just start poking my T's randomly hahah, that would be weird
Ahhh, good explanation. So you were more motivating it to move, not just sitting there prodding like I was picturing.:bored:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would get the E. sp. Red for 2 reasons.

1. If it's an adult female, that price no longer exists for them. They run 150-175$ for the past couple of years
2. Chile is no longer exporting Ts anymore according to the Chilean government official I contacted.
3. Chromatus can be found anytime.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Chile is no longer exporting Ts anymore according to the Chilean government official I contacted
And that is a damn shame. I wouldn`t be surprised if they are unreachable in a few years from now, unless someone breeds them, as i really hope someone will <3

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I would get the E. sp. Red for 2 reasons.

1. If it's an adult female, that price no longer exists for them. They run 150-175$ for the past couple of years
2. Chile is no longer exporting Ts anymore according to the Chilean government official I contacted.
3. Chromatus can be found anytime.
Dang, well surprisingly he's had this one for like half a year, I guess because there are no spider people anywhere in my area. Hopefully I can go in and snatch her up soon ;)