Euathlus sp. (Red) in Pre-Molt

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I am hoping this guy molts soon. I feel like it is refusing food, but you never can actually tell at this size. Does it look like it is in pre-molt to you all who have kept these as slings?

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
Even at this size, they will still get a very dark abdomen while in premolt. Mine is about the same size as yours and is definitely currently in pre-molt. DSC01194.JPG

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just keep waterdish full and offer prekilled if at all food. This species are masters at the pre molt waiting game :D

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Yeah, my sling that just molted got a dark spot on its abdomen that grew more and more each day, when the abdomen was fully dark and the legs were as well, it hid away until molting. After you see it once, you'll start recognizing it more and more :happy:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Agreed yours doesn't really look ready to moult yet -- they really do start looking dark and shiny rumped -- like they're ready to pop!
But I really posted just to say "Awwww! What a cutie! :happy:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am hoping this guy molts soon. I feel like it is refusing food, but you never can actually tell at this size. Does it look like it is in pre-molt to you all who have kept these as slings?
Not to me. Sam both genders can get much fatter at that size, and not molt for or eat for over 3+ months.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I guess you can't always judge by how dark they are. It never really got any darker and just now molted. :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
With the last molt of my H.sp.Red, I noticed that her mirror patch became irregular and smaller ie she was kicking hairs for the molting mat, I think. :)

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Hijacking this thread (because I think it fits the question) and your comment @WolfSoon (because I don't want to clutter the "Who molted today"-thread):

My two Euathlus sp Red slings molted for the fourth time since September. I put the predicted molt date in my calendar and was one day off. :p

View attachment 266140
What the hell do you feed them? :wideyed: Or do you have any other secrets why your slings moult so often? o_O

I got my 1" sling at the beginning of November last year and there's not even a hint it might moult any time soon... at least from what I can see. He/She is bit plump, but that's about it.

Flash_24022018.jpg

Sometimes (s)he eats a small cricket, sometimes (s)he won't, there's nothing definitive. :rolleyes: I just want her/him to grow... at least a tiny little bit, just to be sure it'll grow at all. :p:D

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I got my 1" sling at the beginning of November last year and there's not even a hint it might moult any time soon...
Seems they slow right down once they hit 1", got mine as a 3/4" sling in July and it moulted in September and November, hasn't refused a meal yet, little bugger attacks the water dish when I fill it up lol.

Freshly moulted
View media item 45878
Now
DSC00004.JPG

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Hijacking this thread (because I think it fits the question) and your comment @WolfSoon (because I don't want to clutter the "Who molted today"-thread):

What the hell do you feed them? :wideyed: Or do you have any other secrets why your slings moult so often? o_O
Haha, they do seem to molt freakishly often - every 5 weeks give or take a couple days. I don’t think I have any secrets unfortunately. I feed them mealworm chunks twice a week and have kept the temperature around 25C during the day and in the lower 20s at night.

I’d guess mine are probably both male, and they were only about 1/4” when I got them. They’re just now around the inch mark so maybe their molting will start to slow down.

Just curious, what size enclosure do you have yours in? I moved one of mine into a bigger container a while ago, and now he’s falling behind with eating because he’s burrowed down to the bottom and doesn’t seem to come up for food. I miss the little guy. :shy:
Here is chowing down back when he was above ground.

33DBDE90-7C7D-4BAB-B542-AFE5A8AB66CF.png

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Damn! I thought you had some magic cure for the "Not moulting syndrome". :p

Just curious, what size enclosure do you have yours in? I moved one of mine into a bigger container a while ago, and now he’s falling behind with eating because he’s burrowed down to the bottom and doesn’t seem to come up for food. I miss the little guy. :shy:
I have my sling in this sterilite-like enclosure:

Red_enclosure.jpg

It's roughly 9,5x7x6 cm (sorry, can't tell inch sizes right now ;)). Substrate is filled up to 4,5-5 cm, but mine never dug anyway. It also won't touch mealworms, only half-dead crickets. And red runners are way too scary, I guess. :p It's such a picky eater! :rolleyes:

Do you think the enclosure is too big? He/she is roaming its enclosure all day, so I thought, a bit bigger might be appreciated. ;)

@The Grym Reaper
Hehe, yours look exactly like my sling. So, we're probably sitting in the same boat. ;)

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's roughly 9,5x7x6 cm (sorry, can't tell inch sizes right now ;)).
A little under 4"x3"x2.5".

1 inch = 2.5cm

My enclosure is a little under 4" in diameter and a little under 3" tall, my sling hasn't really burrowed either, it uses the hide when spooked but quickly comes out again (probably expecting food lol).