Euathlus sp. Red 'Gestation' period?

retiroroberti

Arachnopeon
Hi all. Just two days ago, I acquired a beautiful pair of Euathlus sp. Red for $120 from a LPS. Just a couple of minutes ago, I had a successful pairing. The female didn't even go threatpose, she mainly just let him do his thing, which was wonderful because I've never bred Ts of any sort before. She even let him go for round two, after which he decided to bolt off back into his enclosure. Now, I'm planning on pairing them again in a week or so, but in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight/info about how long their 'gestation' period is? In other words, how long does it usually take the female to actually create her eggsac? Are there any special conditions that'd help smoothen the process? I'm very excited about this pair, they're just a lovely species.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Check out the breeding reports for this species, there are a few successful accounts.

retiroroberti

Arachnopeon
Why would you do this if you had a successful insertion? I'm assuming that's what you meant when you typed "do his thing".
Mainly just as a security measure. After all, I haven't even had them for a whole week; I'm not even sure when he made his last sperm web.

Check out the breeding reports for this species, there are a few successful accounts.
Do you mind linking me some? I haven't done any intensive searching, but I've only been able to find one non-detailed breeding report and one for E. sp "yellow", which I'm assuming is similar, but hopefully not too similar, as they waited nine months for an eggsac!

cold blood

Staff member
Why would you do this if you had a successful insertion? I'm assuming that's what you meant when you typed "do his thing".
Agreed, additional pairings will merely be putting his life in danger. Sounds like everything went perfect the first time.

Keep him hydrated and healthy and if something happens like a surprise molt from her, you will still have him to try again with.

If you put him in postion to be killed and that happens and youre out of luck.

Saving him and not re pairing would be security... continued pairing would be reckless imo.

After a successful pairing shes as or more likely to see him as food in the meantime.

She could lay a sac anywhere from 2 months to over a year from now if she doesnt molt.

Considering you just got her, you probably have little idea of when her next molt might be due.

Best of luck, the hobby needs more of these as theyre in high demand.