Euathlus Sp. Red appreciation thread

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I would love to acquire sp. "Red" after learning about them on some care videos. I like the adventurous and curious aspect of them, not to mention the fact they always seem to be doing something. Plus their smaller size is a win-win for me. Unfortunately I can't find this species locally and I doubt I'll find it anywhere soon.
They seem to be easier to obtain in the UK .

jrphoenix

Arachnopeon
Hi all!

I'm new to posting here but I just wanted to add that I'm supposed to receive a sling on Tuesday and I can barely contain my excitement. I'm on here reading about how lovely their personalities are and it's killing me not to have him or her yet. Just a wee thing - only 1/8" I'm told.

I figured some of you could relate :)

ekmonks

Arachnopeon
Hello! My first T was a Euathlus Sp.Red I got at the local pet store. Soon after I found out he was Male.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Soon after I found out he was Male. Not sure how much time he has left I got him back in March but if anyone would consider a breeding loan I'd be willing to do 75/25 as I wouldn't need that many slings
Breeding loans should be posted on Invertsonals (but make sure he is mature before sending him off).

Escaron

Arachnopeon
Just gotta show my new fella! Arrived yesterday and Im head over heels happy!!! Have no idea if its a lill guy or girl yet but no matter. Im in love!!!! And maan this small one is crazy curious, was in my hand before I even realized. All I had planned was to adjust the waterdish. XD <3 <3
2017-07-31-15-34-31.jpg
2017-08-01-16-50-55.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Not the best pic as my camera is gash for taking pics of slings, mine is a diddy little fat-arse at the moment (probably about 2cm DLS), I'd been looking for slings for months and finally found this little bugger for sale.

DSC00001.JPG

aphono

Arachnobaron
How do y'all feed the 1/4" slings? that's the only size I see them for sale at.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Pre-killed/cut up roach nymphs/pinhead crickets/mealworms.
Thanks. Might try tiny slings if I see them for sale again. I'd been passing up on several offers of 1/4" reds and yellows because most of my slings would not take prekilled.. there's no reliable source of true pinhead crickets locally so it was bit of a challenge feeding them before they reached 1"(and now those boogers are willing to accept crushed head mealworms and tiny dubia nymphs.. why now and not before?!). So that put me off the idea of getting a 1/4" slow growing sling....

p.s. I did have in mind to take immediately if 1" or larger was available. Just not happening yet.. always 1/4"...

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
After 7 months, mine went from 1/4 inch to 1/2 an inch. Definitely takes its time to grow, but it is adorable.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thanks. Might try tiny slings if I see them for sale again. I'd been passing up on several offers of 1/4" reds and yellows because most of my slings would not take prekilled.. there's no reliable source of true pinhead crickets locally so it was bit of a challenge feeding them before they reached 1"(and now those boogers are willing to accept crushed head mealworms and tiny dubia nymphs.. why now and not before?!). So that put me off the idea of getting a 1/4" slow growing sling....
No worries, I recently got 2 C. elegans slings and one of those is about 5-6mm DLS (I'd previously not had anything smaller than 1cm), it took a pre-killed red runner nymph the other day without any hassle.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
My little female has bulldozed so much, both her water dishes are buried.
20170707_181559.jpg

My 3 slings all molt around the same time.
20170729_200455.jpg
They are not even 1cm in bodylength, but have their adult colors now :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
My little female has bulldozed so much, both her water dishes are buried.
View attachment 247576

My 3 slings all molt around the same time.
View attachment 247577
They are not even 1cm in bodylength, but have their adult colors now :)
Wait, they have black bodies with red highlights at under a centimeter?
Well then, who cares about their growth rate? I'm GLAD they grow that slow! I would LOVE a miniature version of any adult tarantula! I've always thought things looked really awesome in miniature.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Wait, they have black bodies with red highlights at under a centimeter?
Well then, who cares about their growth rate? I'm GLAD they grow that slow! I would LOVE a miniature version of any adult tarantula! I've always thought things looked really awesome in miniature.
That's body length though so it'd be over an inch DLS which is technically juvenile size for them.

B. boehmei get theirs early too, my sling is less than an inch and it's already pretty dark with orange starting to show up on the legs.

Jellyfish Jenni

Arachnopeon
My 1/4" e sp. red placing a piece of substrate down as she builds her little fort. Took to construction within an hour of being rehoused.

Attachments

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Just found this thread and adding my girl. When I bought her three weeks ago, the Kritter Keeper they sold her in was filthy and ruled by large crickets and mites. About a week after rehousing her in an Exo Terra breeder box, she buried herself under the substrate (even though I provided a hide), and hasn't come out since. She's in pretty rough shape with that bulbous bald spot of hers, and might actually be a sp. yellow. But despite her terrible previous home, she's been super calm and curious. Hopefully she comes out soon, because I miss her! :)

IMG_20170722_131616.jpg

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
How have I not posted here yet?
I have two Euathlus sp. reds, a subadult female and a sling.
The subadult is my girl, Peach, and she is the most gentle spider ever. She tries to stroll out of her enclosure when I open it to feed her, and when I tap her with a paintbrush to keep her back, she'll just scrunch up and kinda make me feel bad for stopping her, unlike my other spiders who would have a panic attack. Then there's the sling who is the smallest spider I've ever cared for, which freaks me out cause it's refused to eat for 3 months now and needs to molt but apparently wants to stay a baby forever... but they're probably one of my favorite tarantulas.