Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi

bd809piercer

Arachnopeon
Good morning everyone!
So over n over again I've heard people use the fraise "true euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi" and see that allot of folks are mistaken what they thought was a euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi blue and finding out it's a Homoeomma sp, nevertheless both beautiful species but frustrating & confusing as hell when trying to get the one you really want. This misconception is obviously caused by allot of erroneous information & difference of opinions going back and fourth. So how can you tell if you have a "true euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi blue" without having to costly send a molt to a taxonomists to figure this out?

I've had my alleged euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi blue for over 2 years now bought fully matured and spent next to nothing for it, the seller obviously had no idea what kind of Tarantula it was, no scientific name, just labeled "Emerald Skeleton" i guess that's what it was referred to as its common name when bought from the whole saler. . .Being the 20 year tarantula collector veteran that I am and a huge fan of euathlus species I knew right away this was indeed a mistake on the sellers part and a opportunity not to be missed on mine and bought this "Emerald Skeleton" tarantula, think for under $40. When i finally got this possible diamond in the roth home and had a closer look I swear I'm no tarantula breeder or Arachnologist just a knowledgeable & devoted long time collector of theraphosidae but I'm 95% sure that my so called "Emerald Skeleton" is indeed the T I've been looking for a true euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi "blue femur beauty"!!
So pretty please with urticating hairs on top can someone who knows about euathlus please shed their expertise opinion on my debacle, give it to me straight and tell me what they think?

Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to read my thread and for all & any helpful informative feedback, I truly do appreciate it.

Here's some most recent pictures taken about a month or so post molt.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I'm newer to the hobby, I've never seen that species but wow it is very pretty. I myself would like to know what it is...

bd809piercer

Arachnopeon
I'm newer to the hobby, I've never seen that species but wow it is very pretty. I myself would like to know what it is...
Thank you! I'm pretty confident it's a euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi blue, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I will say outta all the species I've kept this is the only one that never likes to hide regardless of how nice of a retreat ya put in there it will always cover the entire thing with a thick blanket of webbing and stand on top of it completely out in the open, doesn't like it moist and NEVER refuses food. Absolutely stunning after a molt and stays vibrantly colored all the way until the next one. Not aggressive, but will flick hairs on occasion, doesn't move like a lightening bolt, definitely a very cool T to have! However i noticed while trying to look up information about this possible species that there really isn't allot out there so ya kinda have to figure them out urself.
I haven't had it sexed yet but plan to next molt, always hopeful for a female

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek

bd809piercer

Arachnopeon
I recently read that most likely there has never been a "true" Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi in the hobby. Currently they are being labeled as Euathlus sp "Blue"
Yours looks like my young female, but others will be better at identifying her.
There are several threads on AB about the differences. Maybe Jan will chime in as he ownes both species @Storm76
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/homoeomma-sp-blue-vs-euathlus-pulcherrimaklassi-please-help.263683/
View attachment 218708
Yeah I was reading something about that as well, cool thanks for the feedback. I'm fairly new to this site and have really only dealt with one lady when I bought my tarantulas, Anastasia from NETBUG. But she's not always good at getting back to me unless I'm buying a tarantula lol. Check her site out if you haven't already she has some of the most coolest species of T's and beautiful the most Xenesthis I've ever seen.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I recently read that most likely there has never been a "true" Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi in the hobby. Currently they are being labeled as Euathlus sp "Blue"
There won't be a "true" Euathlus pulcherrimaklassi in the hobby because the species was transferred to the genus Bumba and the spider in the hobby is not a Bumba species. The species sold on the pet trade as Euathlus pulcherrimaklassi keys more closely to Euathlus truculentus with both green and blue forms. The species sold as Euathlus trucluentus is not this species although I haven't been able to get my hands on adult males or females to determine what species they are more closely related to.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
There won't be a "true" Euathlus pulcherrimaklassi in the hobby because the species was transferred to the genus Bumba and the spider in the hobby is not a Bumba species. The species sold on the pet trade as Euathlus pulcherrimaklassi keys more closely to Euathlus truculentus with both green and blue forms. The species sold as Euathlus trucluentus is not this species although I haven't been able to get my hands on adult males or females to determine what species they are more closely related to.
Which ones do you need the Blues or truculentus?
I have one MM of truculentus as well as two immature males and one immature female

bd809piercer

Arachnopeon
Wow that is confusing lol so you definitely sound like ya know ur stuff what would you say mine is? I'd just like to officially be able to identify him or her.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Wow that is confusing lol so you definitely sound like ya know ur stuff what would you say mine is? I'd just like to officially be able to identify him or her.
I will refuse to give an ID based on a picture when it comes to Euathlus or Homoeomma because of the similarities in appearance. I take the same stance with the majority of spider ID requests as well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If only Euathlus pulcher. was scientifically classified, along w/the others in this dumping ground genus of "Ts yet to be ID". :banghead::banghead: B. smithi's genus was once Euathlus too.

Here's what Storm wrote regarding the 2. Maybe he can repost the images

Scroll down and you will see there is morphological data discussed by Esteban.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/homoeomma-sp-blue-vs-euathlus-pulcherrimaklassi-please-help.263683/

This link is within the link above, think it has the missing picture

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/euathlus-pulcherrimaklaasi-care-sheet.18095/page-2

Last edited:

bd809piercer

Arachnopeon
I will refuse to give an ID based on a picture when it comes to Euathlus or Homoeomma because of the similarities in appearance. I take the same stance with the majority of spider ID requests as well.
If I were to send you a molt would you be able to identify it? Dor you do stuff like that or know who does and what it cost? This is the first time I've had to go to such length to correctly identify one of my tarantulas so I'm not too familiar with the process.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, the species E. pulcherrimaklassi shouldn't really be used in this hobby. Just substitute it for E. sp. "Blue" or "Green". I own two of these spiders, one a subadult male and the other a mature female.

Note that they are not always blue - both of mine have green femurs, although @sdsnybny has reported that theirs actually changed colors from a molt.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Last I heard, this species hasn't been officially taxonomically described or named. So, the appropriate name to call it at this time is Euathlus sp blue femur. (Mine is still labeled pulcherrimaklaasi as that is what I received it as.)
Keep it like most of the Grammostola, bone dry with a water bowl. None of mine ever burrowed or used hides, though they did do some excavating. My captive bred remaining female is about 6 years old, about 3.5 inch legspan, still hasn't developed full color. She just started showing femoral color at last year's molt. Indigo would be the best color description.
Jan is the most up to date on info for this species.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I have one MM of truculentus as well as two immature males and one immature female
Hi Boss
Re: immature female.
Or you could send that cutie to me:astonished::rolleyes:
God I am getting sooooo addicted:eek::eek:

Note to self: visit T Anonymous

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Well, I would need males of both species actually. :)

If I were to send you a molt would you be able to identify it? Dor you do stuff like that or know who does and what it cost? This is the first time I've had to go to such length to correctly identify one of my tarantulas so I'm not too familiar with the process.
PM sent.

Looking at these photos again, there is one glaring character of Euathlus I overlooked. That would be that Euathlus species have a very hairy carapace. I'm starting to sway in the direction that the tarantula in question is not a Euathlus species. Compare to sdsnybny's photo. Sdsnybny's tarantula very obviously has a very hairy carapace which appears in all Euathlus species where-as the one in bd809piercer's does not. Of course I'm not saying either way that the tarantula in question is or is not a Euathlus or Homoeomma species though.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The colours are very bold on your specimen. I suppose my girl is very old but the colours aren't as blue or red. Are these photos straight after molt? It is definitely not 'emerald skeleton'.

I would say it is Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi. It is certainly not Homoeomma sp. blue.

Here is my adult female Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi (Blue Femur Beauty)
View media item 33430View media item 34509
One is in natural light and the other in dim torch light.

Last edited:

bd809piercer

Arachnopeon
The colours are very bold on your specimen. I suppose my girl is very old but the coulours aren't as blue or red. Are these photos straight after molt? It is definitely not 'emerald skeleton'.

I would say it is Euathlus pulcheramiklaasi. It is certainly not Homoeomma sp. blue.
Hey KezyGLA so sorry for the late response, I totally agree with you and actually I just took those pictures last night with just my phone and it's been almost over a month since last molt.
OK so I apparently I'm not supposed to use the term euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi cause the names forbidden lol or its been changed but regardless of which name ya perfect to use its still the same species it didnt just say "hey since my name is much less fun to say now I think ima just get rid of my orange stripes dude! No no its time to grow up and start acting my name" lol sorry. . . I understand the name change I'm just trying to figure out which actual Tarantula it is regardless of alliances.
After reading everyones reaponses and seeing all the comparison pictures call me crazy but that's exactly what my tarantula is blue not the green of the name that shall not be named. But it's so funny i cant understand why so many think it's not but yet wont give me another example of what other species they think it could be! I can't see any difference to the point that if ya put all the pics together and threw my Tdoe up in there ya couldn't pick email outta a line up! Just different lighting and molting stages. But im just gonna say your all wonderful and I thank you so much for your feedback! Even you "mods dont tolerate swearing" for keepin me clean
BTW KezyGLA your awesome and so are ur stunning T's!! Were some lucky s.o.b's to have these gorgeous specimens! I hope mines a female cause I'd love to enjoy her for many years to come!! Coolest temperaments of all the T's that I've ever had! Hope I don't sound like I'm ranting. . . . I am ain't I? Shit. . . .oops sorry Mods earmuffs!! well thank you all and goodnight!! ✌
Here is my adult female Euathlus pulcheramiklaasi (Blue Femur Beauty)
The colours are very bold on your specimen. I suppose my girl is very old but the coulours aren't as blue or red. Are these photos straight after molt? It is definitely not 'emerald skeleton'.

I would say it is Euathlus pulcheramiklaasi. It is certainly not Homoeomma sp. blue.

bd809piercer

Arachnopeon

Dude only if its cool with you I'd totally love to use one of ur pics as a tattoo reference for one of my client who wants a tarantula tattoo this weekend! But only if your cool with it of course