Ethmostigmus rubripes eggs due to hatch!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
So, my Ethmostigmus rubripes laid eggs exactly 32 days ago, and they're due to develop any day. Now, when the eggs develop into pedelings, do I wait for them to leave the mother before I feed them, or do I feed her once they've hatched? Also, while I am aware that pedes may eat their eggs if disturbed, is this possibility over once they've developed? Thanks in advance.

Here is an image of the pede, taken a few days ago. She's about 15cm long, which is actually rather small for her kind. Stay tuned for updates! Rubripes_eggs.jpg

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congratulations! I hope the clutch does well for you. That is one of the species with rather mild venom, isn't it? My 17-year-old son would love a centipede, but Mom has stipulated that it must be have mild venom.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Rubripes is a completely different animal from Trignopodus. Bigger, stronger venom, and with a temperament that rivals Subspinipes. Still, awesome pedes.

Edit - seeing as you aren't in Australia, I don't think you'll be getting one of these pedes any time soon anyway.

Last edited:

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, makes sense. I am still learning about centipedes...and have seen some of that genus for sale in the US...not rubripes though.

Rubripes is a completely different animal from Trignopodus. Bigger, stronger venom, and with a temperament that rivals Subspinipes. Still, awesome pedes.

Edit - seeing as you aren't in Australia, I don't think you'll be getting one of these pedes any time soon anyway.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Chances are, it was Trignopodus you saw. Btw, anyone who has had experience breeding centipedes (@Galapoheros..?), could you please let me know if you fed the mother after the pedes molted into second instar, or after they left their mother?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've messed around with that, I've seen the mother eat when with eggs, with nymphs and when the babies are running around. Babies will eat 'with' each other for a while but not in a very safe way. If one has a little bug juice on it's back, well, it better run! btw I don't recommend feeding the mom while on eggs, it's only something I tried, prob not a good idea.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't feed her anything until they start to run around on their own, I just experimented with it. I simply think to what might happen in nature and there, she is likely not to eat anything while taking care of the babies. People have different experiences with all this. Wow I didn't know those could get so big. Did she lay eggs out in the open like that?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yes she did lay them on the surface. Gave me quite a shock to be honest. And yes, Rubripes can get that big. I know Wikipedia says they only get to 16cm, but I saw a photo here of a 24cm individual, and a few years ago, I owned one at 22.5cm. I've heard of them getting to 28cm.

flatwormlover11

Arachnopeon
So, my Ethmostigmus rubripes laid eggs exactly 32 days ago, and they're due to develop any day. Now, when the eggs develop into pedelings, do I wait for them to leave the mother before I feed them, or do I feed her once they've hatched? Also, while I am aware that pedes may eat their eggs if disturbed, is this possibility over once they've developed? Thanks in advance.

Here is an image of the pede, taken a few days ago. She's about 15cm long, which is actually rather small for her kind. Stay tuned for updates! View attachment 226559
congradulations! i know i spelled that wrong :) i have a qestion, [derp] you held the centipede in your profile picture, how did you tame it?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
It's kind of a long process (usually takes about a week, less for the docile ones, more for the aggressive ones) of gentle hand interactions. Initially, when they are prone to test biting, I have my hands in the enclosure with the pede, touching the antennae and letting it walk on and off my hand (never fully handling it for longer than a few seconds at a time). Sooner or later, it will calm down remarkably, and you can handle it fully for hours without stressing the pede, and without risk of envenomation. You can even pet it, grab it quite forcefully, and even hand feed it. The user Mastigoproctus, who is rather inactive lately, has a youtube channel called ThePureLife detailing how to to this. I suggest you watch his vids of the Malaysian Tiger Centipede, which show many of the basic interaction techniques. The pede in my profile pic is a Scolopendra morsitans, but the techniques have worked on all my E. rubripes as well.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
(Insert favourite curse here)! The mother ate most of the nymphs!!! All because the pede in the neighbouring enclosure was causing a large amount of racket! After cooling down a little I noticed that she was behaving normally around the few she had left. It's just a few days before they are due to molt into third instar. Are they likely to make it?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Aargh...she ate the rest overnight. Is there a chance she will lay them again? And please tell me they don't have a breeding season. That'll just complicate things to a whole new level.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
Darn the bad luck :( I've been quietly following this story and cheering for your success from afar.

Any idea what set off the inahbitant of the other tank?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
It hadn't surfaced to my knowledge since I got it. That night, it was simply walking around, but making an amount of noise I did not believe pedes were capable of. There was a lot of tapping and scratching, and it actually woke me up in the other room! I'm frustrated beyond description.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
This sucks man!

Good experience for all of us though. Keep centipedes in a quite area when they are with eggs.