Estimate on kingsnake and cage ....

FelanMoira

Arachnopeon
I have a possibility of making an offer on a 3-4 year old kingsnake, with a 40-gallon critter cage, heat lamps, heat mat, water bowl and driftwood...plus about 8 bags of substrate (wood chips, appear to be pine or aspen - if pine, I'll be tossing it). She looks to be in good health and is active. What would be a reasonable offer for this setup? New, the cage goes for $80-100 dollars in local shops, and I only know that hatchling kings go for around $30-50 - have no idea what an adult would go for. I really can't/won't consider breeding potential in my offer as it is illegal to breed them in WV (considered a native species).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SPJ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What type of cal king? What sex is it? That will determine what it's worth.
As far as the cage goes, offer $100 for the entire setup (cage, heating, decorations, etc).

FelanMoira

Arachnopeon
Looks to be a common cal king .... The current owner doesn't know what sex it is ... looking at "her" -the tail tapers slowly, not suddenly after the vent. I saw it at the current owner's mother's house- the mother and father would NOT open the cage.

Here is a pic of the cage and snake :

And a cropped pic of the snake:

Last edited:

SPJ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Breeder common kings go for about $60-$75.

I would offer $150 for the entire thing. Snake and all. The setup needs another hide on the cool end.

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In Feb of '05 I bought a young adult banana king snake (a little over 3 ft) for I think $75, with a tiny cage that was way too small.

I ended up with around $225 in a nice tank, lamp, hides, and so on.

If I had to sell the snake today (and I dont want to), I'd figure I should be able to get $100 for it

Kings are cool snakes. Very easy to keep, and, if mine is any indication, VERY docile.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Offer 100 bucks. Sure it might be worth X new. But used cages drop there value very fast, snake is worth about $40...