Escaped Tityus stigmurus nymph chance of survival?

ph5

Arachnopeon
I purchased 4 first instars Tityus stigmurus scorps. I decided to transfer them to a little bigger container and yesterday when I woke up and decided to check up on them I couldn't find any of them. I went through their enclosure in order to find them even shaked the container but they did not appear. When I got back from work I found three of them creeping out from the substrate and harvested them to put them in a smaller container, however I couldn't find the fourth one. I went through the substrate and bark again and he is not there, the enclosure is secure but I guess he has escaped somehow, can someone with more experience and observation tell me what is the chance of that baby scorpion survive and grow in my apartament where there is no humidity and food available to him? Also is there a chance that he may got eaten by his peers? I doubt it because I have read that cannibalism is rare with that species and I doubt they will eat him so fast

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Depends on temperatures and such it may live for a while, there drawn to heat try just leaving one heat source out somewhere and check it through the night as they are nocturnal and become more active then. I can't see how it would have got out if the container was secured though maybe the other 3 have ate it after all

ph5

Arachnopeon
Depends on temperatures and such it may live for a while, there drawn to heat try just leaving one heat source out somewhere and check it through the night as they are nocturnal and become more active then. I can't see how it would have got out if the container was secured though maybe the other 3 have ate it after all
I hope so, but I read that they rarely do that

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Doubt it got eaten, Tityus stigmurus can live communally when young with little to no aggression. If you're looking for the small thing, it will hide in something with tight crevices or somewhere with a little height. These scorps are partially arboreal and enjoy some height, so I would say look somewhere a little higher and not lower. BTW, what are the room temps that they were kept in.
there drawn to heat try just leaving one heat source out somewhere
I wouldn't say young scorps are drawn to heat, especially for this species. Unless it's freezing or chilly in the room. If it's warm or hot, they tend to aim for shade to avoid too much heat. But who knows where it could be?

ph5

Arachnopeon
75 Farenheit, there is no way to find him, I just hope he doesn't survive until adult and infest my neighborhood, based on what I read there is a small chance of that happening due to the low humidity level

Last edited:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
To be clear, you found the other three in the enclosure you put them in? Unless there's some reason to think they could climb out (like something against the side) I wouldn't discount the fourth still being in there. A tiny animal in a large volume of substrate is easy to miss.

ph5

Arachnopeon
To be clear, you found the other three in the enclosure you put them in? Unless there's some reason to think they could climb out (like something against the side) I wouldn't discount the fourth still being in there. A tiny animal in a large volume of substrate is easy to miss.
Yes, the other three were found in the enclosure and today I found the fourth one on top of the substrate, thank god. It is amazing how well they can hide

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
what is the chance of that baby scorpion survive
Slim to basically non existent. Especially at that age/size/etc.

Are you sure it was not consumed by tankmates? I had a P. imperator baby get devoured by its siblings a couple years back so that kind of thing is not just an old wive's tale.

ph5

Arachnopeon
Slim to basically non existent. Especially at that age/size/etc.

Are you sure it was not consumed by tankmates? I had a P. imperator baby get devoured by its siblings a couple years back so that kind of thing is not just an old wive's tale.
Yep I found him one morning on the top of the substrate, they can hide really well. All four of them are now transfered to a smaller enclosure so that I can keep a better eye on them