Escaped sling..

Spaceman

Arachnoknight
Hey

so the beginning of January I received 3 slings.. a Poecilotheria, an cyriopagus sp, and an OBT. (All very small)(very)

I kept them in different enclosures, the OBT in a pickle jar with pre-made holes in the lid and the other 2 in plastic containers..

the last few weeks of feeding I realized my OBT hadn’t been taking food. I presumed it was in pre-molt and decided to wait. Although after the latest feeding I got kind of worried and decided to check up on the guy. I held a flashlight up to his webbing on the side of the jar and saw the little guy in a presumed death curl. I quickly opened the jar and dug through the webbing to find it was only a molt and the OBT was NO WHERE to be seen..

After I thoroughly checked the enclosure and under the enclosures around it I just sat back and realized this buggers gone..

I’ve never read about this on here and was curious if there was anything I COULD do to maybe find the little guy but I know it’s probably 1 in a million..
If anyone has simple advice I’d appreciate it..

thanks

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
How large were the holes in the pickle jar? if they are the same-ish size as the carapace then the T can escape. I can’t see a post molt T bolting around so it may have actually molted quite a while ago. If you left the enclosure unattended (even looked away for a few secs whilst feeding) the T could’ve bolted out unnoticeable (some adult T’s have done this, easy for an O/W sling) ... It may have also been the responsibility of a family member, any curious younger family members or curious friends may have opened the lid and the T could’ve left.

Now onto the finding, look for webbing around the room. The T wouldn’t self isolate in a gap without an obvious opening. Since OBT’s are such heavy Webber’s Id look for that, try behind wardrobes etc. Or even under the fridge, the web entrance should be pretty obvious... Good luck

omni

Arachnobaron
so sorry the lil guy escaped! an OBT might possibly be an easier sp. of spider to find, because the webbing they'll set up. fingers crossed you can find it!

Spaceman

Arachnoknight
so sorry the lil guy escaped! an OBT might possibly be an easier sp. of spider to find, because the webbing they'll set up. fingers crossed you can find it!
thanks for the reply, I’ll keep my eye open in corners of my room :)

Spaceman

Arachnoknight
How large were the holes in the pickle jar? if they are the same-ish size as the carapace then the T can escape. I can’t see a post molt T bolting around so it may have actually molted quite a while ago. If you left the enclosure unattended (even looked away for a few secs whilst feeding) the T could’ve bolted out unnoticeable (some adult T’s have done this, easy for an O/W sling) ... It may have also been the responsibility of a family member, any curious younger family members or curious friends may have opened the lid and the T could’ve left.

Now onto the finding, look for webbing around the room. The T wouldn’t self isolate in a gap without an obvious opening. Since OBT’s are such heavy Webber’s Id look for that, try behind wardrobes etc. Or even under the fridge, the web entrance should be pretty obvious... Good luck
I will keep that in mind when looking to look under things.. the funny thing is(not really) I actually kept the sling inside a 10 gallon tank which used to keep scorpions since I thought it could escape through the pre-made holes.. after a few months it didn’t escape and the week I leave it out on my desk with my other T’s the little guy molted and slipped out.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The problem I'm having is that the details are very vague, especially the time frame here. When did you notice it was gone exactly? Also how large is this sling? If it escaped then that means it slipped out through the ventilation holes because it wouldn't make much sense otherwise. There's not much advice to be offered from me because the information is a little vague, so a bit more clearance will help.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nothing you can do, next time make proper holes in lid