Escaped G. Pulchripes Sling. First T.

BakedReptiles

Arachnopeon
My sling escaped 2 days into his new enclosure. A Kritter Keeper. Lesson learned. Now where would I find a small sling ? The KK was located in a small desk. Well actually it's a TV Stand with a flat top that I use for my beardie tank. And I use the 5 or so shelves below the tank for the KK, and my reptile Vitamins and food. So checked the desk already and have checked shoes under bed.. i also checked the substrate. Where could this G. Pulch be? Here's some pics of him. It's only been about 3 days;
https://imgur.com/a/AwuSy

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Finding an escaped tarantula, especially one that size, will rely purely on luck. Sorry man, this is worse than a needle in a haystack.

The whole "it couldn't have gone far" idea is just false, unfortunately. I had a 1" N. incei escape in my care, and I just happened to find it alive on my bathroom floor about a week later. The bathroom was clear on the other side of the house from where it was originally kept.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
As EulersK already said, it's like a needle in a haystack. If you don't find it, it's a lesson learned.

BakedReptiles

Arachnopeon
I mean, I'd be more upset over a life lost, but I suppose there are different priorities out there.
Never said it was a priority, but it is a negative. I have carpet in my room also, and its a reptile room.. with a bed, and big bulky wooden stands or a old box tv stand for example, holding 2 50 gals. where do you think he would go considering his species? towards the warms of the tanks, under their big stands, bed. etc. I also have a cat in the room, shes a lil independant teen

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The cat? Nah. I tell you... our rooms (if I guessed well yours by the description) have millions of places where a little sling can hide. Millions.

I have (and always had) lot of cats and arachnids/inverts as well during the last 25 years and my guess is that a cat wouldn't even bother him/herself with an "ant".

Granted, lol, now a huge female P.ornata (example) crawling on the walls would be another story (and in such case, obviously, easy to spot and find).

What I suggest to you is to (re)check well the spots near the enclosure.

BakedReptiles

Arachnopeon
The cat? Nah. I tell you... our rooms (if I guessed well yours by the description) have millions of places where a little sling can hide. Millions.

I have (and always had) lot of cats and arachnids/inverts as well during the last 25 years and my guess is that a cat wouldn't even bother him/herself with an "ant".

Granted, lol, now a huge female P.ornata (example) crawling on the walls would be another story (and in such case, obviously, easy to spot and find).

What I suggest to you is to (re)check well the spots near the enclosure.
I have 2 doors connected to my room. One into my computer room with tv and carpet, and one into a cold wooden floor hallway. should I turn the temps down in nearby rooms? and Up in mine?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have 2 doors connected to my room. One into my computer room with tv and carpet, and one into a cold wooden floor hallway. should I turn the temps down in nearby rooms? and Up in mine?
I wouldn't, man. Not even mention that if I'm not wrong you keep other animals... no, I wouldn't. Sadly it's only a question of luck and nothing else, the truth my man is that there aren't sort of 'insider tricks' when an escape happens that I can share with you.

Sure, maybe turning the lights off and place a water dish on the floor could be of help, but IMO only in the case of juve/adult Theraphosidae (and btw isn't written in stone that will work). I remember a man that find his sling under the table. Another found a P.murinus (lol) in his backpack. See? Only pure luck.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm sure that will you continue to search, and if nothing good happens, well... don't beat yourself down. You only learned a lesson the bad way.

BakedReptiles

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't, man. Not even mention that if I'm not wrong you keep other animals... no, I wouldn't. Sadly it's only a question of luck and nothing else, the truth my man is that there aren't sort of 'insider tricks' when an escape happens that I can share with you.

Sure, maybe turning the lights off and place a water dish on the floor could be of help, but IMO only in the case of juve/adult Theraphosidae (and btw isn't written in stone that will work). I remember a man that find his sling under the table. Another found a P.murinus (lol) in his backpack. See? Only pure luck.
Very true, well i'll keep an eye out around his enclosure and the shelves and ill leave a pre killed daily mealworm outside of the KK, and ill mist the inside of the KK incase it comes back. Thanks for the help man