Escaped death stalker ( Leiurus quinquestriatus)

Egyking

Arachnopeon
I went to a reptile convention a year or two ago, and a man was selling these scorpions named Egyptian Yellow scorpions, I had never heard of the species but was intrigued by it since I'm egyptian myself. Anyways, i had a few years with arachnids raising different slings of tarantuals and empereror scorpions, and not once did any of them escape, so i took my chances and did my research on the Egyptian Yellow scorpions and found out it was really the death stalker, I took extreme precaution to make sure not to get stung, and made sure the cage was secure every time i opened it, anyways my roommate entered my room and left the door open and my cat took the chance and knocked over the tank and left just enough room for the tarantula to escape, on top of that my room is trashed because i had been looking for my credit card that i left on the counter, so there is a lot of debris that the scorpion could possibly be under, I'm positive that the scorpion would still be in my room because from my understanding of arachnids in general is that once they find a good hiding spot they usually dont leave it, and stay in the area, Precautions im doing thus far are keeping my dog and my cat outside of the room at all costs, I'm not to worried about myself because im a healthy adult but im positive it would kill my pets. Wearing shoes in the house, but i just dont know where to look because none of my arachnids have ever escaped, should i buy a black light and turn off the lights and search for the scorpion or... what should i do?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
UV is your best option. Good luck, and you might want to give what Cooper said some thought?

Egyking

Arachnopeon
Like I said, i was not home, i usually take a lot of pre caution when it comes to dangerous animals, I have an array of animals from Monitors, poison dart frogs, to various tanrantulas, and other animals, Once again accidents do happen, so no need to appear snarky, i asked what is my best bet to find the scorpion. I figured now that im going to keep the scorpion in my closet under lock, even though im against that because i prefer to admire it, then keep it under lock and key. UPDATE: I believe that it may also be a Egyptian yellow Fat tailed scorpion, which is the same range as the death stalker, i believe my cat may have killed the scorpion, I read that scorpions have a hard time stinging cats because of the fur and tht cats in the wild feed on scorpion, spiders, insects and small invertabrae, so it could be very possible that my cat ate the scorpion but i will look throught out my house and will use my uv bulb everywhere

misslanie29

Arachnopeon
Be Carful!

You still need to be very careful! You said that you weren't that cocerned about getting stung cause you are a healthly adult. well i have a freind that worked with these guys to get their poisons. any ways he got stung and ended up in the ICU for a few weeks on a machin that helped him breath cause he couldn't do it on his own. He got through it nbut lost his finger.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok mistakes happen I’m not gonna waste my time lecturing you on what you already know or advise you to sell your scorpion off. But in the future do research before you make a purchase, but that goes for any animal. You need a blacklight. You can try to lure the scorp to a more open area with a ceramic heat lamp or heat pad just put the heat source near something that it can hide under. Check your shoes before you put them on and make sure you check you sheets and pillows before sleeping. Good luck and keep me posted.
-Eddy
P.S let your roommate know not to get into your stuff after this is behind you.

Egyking

Arachnopeon
Thanks Abyss - I deffinately am taking every pre caution, i treat all my arachnids with care regardless of their "lethality" because you could be allergic to one venom and not the other. I never stick my hands in the enclosure and always use forceps, and trust me i grew up in Egypt I always check my shoes and sheets before putting them on just in case there is a creepy crawler inside, but thanks for the concern. At this point ive tried cleaning up the area carefully making sure to wear shoes and rawhide gloves where ever i stick my hands, i will wait until night time to look for the scorpion because thats when the black light should take the best effect. I'm really starting to believe the scorpion is the Yellow fat tailed scorpion which is a little bit less dangerous, about a 3 out of 5 on the venom scale, but regardless I need to find this bug. At this point im happy it was my scorpion that escaped and not my tarantulas because that would of been a night mare lol ;-) but i'll deff keep everyone posted, wish me luck!

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but is androctonus australis not one of the deadliest scorpions there is? I believe they kill more people per year than any other species.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, it is......Both species are highly venomous. not 3 out of 5 like the OP suggests...

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't worry Abyss, if anything happened it was "natural selection" :D

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Death stalker and Fattail are 5/5, deadly to adults. I would lay an unbrokenline of diatomaceous earth along the baseboards of all the walls in the house. Also I would keep blacklights on and lights off. Better safe than dead, you can always get another scorpion, unless it kills a neighbor and you end up in prison.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't worry Abyss, if anything happened it was "natural selection" :D

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk
Move your pets and arachnids out for a while, and nuke the place with a bug bomb. Its the only way to be sure. Human safety is number 1 concern, you can always buy another bug.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How could you take pre-cautions, but not even know the species? To believe that either L. quinquestriatus or A. australis would not be the most medically significant species would be a very big mistake, to make quite the understatement. I'm not sure where the "3 out of 5" came from either...

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sure hope you find it. This is one of the reasons why I don't mess with hots.
I do concur. I'm happy enough with my H. arizonensis. I might order some other natives but having one centipede escape was enough for me to switch all of my caging to Zilla cages that lock when you close their sliding lids. I'd highly suggest switching to one if you find it, and buying a padlock for it. Then you could still put it on display yet make sure nobody gets into the cage. They aren't too expensive for such nice features.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
I went to a reptile convention a year or two ago, and a man was selling these scorpions named Egyptian Yellow scorpions, I had never heard of the species but was intrigued by it since I'm egyptian myself. Anyways, i had a few years with arachnids raising different slings of tarantuals and empereror scorpions, and not once did any of them escape, so i took my chances and did my research on the Egyptian Yellow scorpions and found out it was really the death stalker, I took extreme precaution to make sure not to get stung, and made sure the cage was secure every time i opened it, anyways my roommate entered my room and left the door open and my cat took the chance and knocked over the tank and left just enough room for the tarantula to escape, on top of that my room is trashed because i had been looking for my credit card that i left on the counter, so there is a lot of debris that the scorpion could possibly be under, I'm positive that the scorpion would still be in my room because from my understanding of arachnids in general is that once they find a good hiding spot they usually dont leave it, and stay in the area, Precautions im doing thus far are keeping my dog and my cat outside of the room at all costs, I'm not to worried about myself because im a healthy adult but im positive it would kill my pets. Wearing shoes in the house, but i just dont know where to look because none of my arachnids have ever escaped, should i buy a black light and turn off the lights and search for the scorpion or... what should i do?
between this and the other rather stupid typo's i think this might be someone trollin' just a little....