Escaped Aphonopelma seemanni found!

MyBoyLuvsTs

Arachnopeon
Before I begin, this is my first time posting. I am a first time tarantula owner ONLY because it's something my son really wanted and he has been through a lot medically and emotionally. I had the store owner set up the enclosure and put that into a box and strap it in the seat belt to bring it home. My son has had an Aphonopelma seemanni named Aragog for 3 years and we believe she is a female based on dissecting her molt. She's been downstairs on a bookshelf this whole time. He recently got a scorpion so I put both the scorpion (Xeno after a xenomorph) and Aragog in his room. Horrible idea of mine. He's 11 years old and was in charge of feeding them. I went to check on them and the tarantula's tank lid was sitting on top of the track that it slides in with a space where she could crawl out. We searched the enclosure and she was not in there. I took 2 days off work to look through and under everything and pack things in totes to make it easier to look in small dark spaces. We slept downstairs thinking she would be upstairs still. We do not handle her so we were definitely freaked out about the idea of her loose. My boyfriend came over today to help look and started in the pantry which is downstairs...where we have been sleeping. After only a couple minutes he found her HE FOUND HER! with some webbing between two bins on a shelf about my neck level, I'm 5'3". He got grill tongs, a bucket and gloves and put her in the bucket and is now safely back in her tank with water and a cricket. We are still freaked out about it! I didnt think she was able to climb like that. She had quite the adventure and my son is happy she's alive.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Excellent she was found, they are very good at escaping when given the opportunity. Perhaps a lockable enclosure would be better to prevent this happening again.

You were very, very lucky as I'm sure you know.

mthrstt

Arachnopeon
Before I begin, this is my first time posting. I am a first time tarantula owner ONLY because it's something my son really wanted and he has been through a lot medically and emotionally. I had the store owner set up the enclosure and put that into a box and strap it in the seat belt to bring it home. My son has had an Aphonopelma seemanni named Aragog for 3 years and we believe she is a female based on dissecting her molt. She's been downstairs on a bookshelf this whole time. He recently got a scorpion so I put both the scorpion (Xeno after a xenomorph) and Aragog in his room. Horrible idea of mine. He's 11 years old and was in charge of feeding them. I went to check on them and the tarantula's tank lid was sitting on top of the track that it slides in with a space where she could crawl out. We searched the enclosure and she was not in there. I took 2 days off work to look through and under everything and pack things in totes to make it easier to look in small dark spaces. We slept downstairs thinking she would be upstairs still. We do not handle her so we were definitely freaked out about the idea of her loose. My boyfriend came over today to help look and started in the pantry which is downstairs...where we have been sleeping. After only a couple minutes he found her HE FOUND HER! with some webbing between two bins on a shelf about my neck level, I'm 5'3". He got grill tongs, a bucket and gloves and put her in the bucket and is now safely back in her tank with water and a cricket. We are still freaked out about it! I didnt think she was able to climb like that. She had quite the adventure and my son is happy she's alive.
can we see some pics of Aragog 😁

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Welcome (or rather congrats on your first post) and glad you found your spider! :D

Maybe they should be kept in a communal area and feeding supervised for now. Just a thought.

MyBoyLuvsTs

Arachnopeon
can we see some pics of Aragog 😁
Welcome (or rather congrats on your first post) and glad you found your spider! :D

Maybe they should be kept in a communal area and feeding supervised for now. Just a thought.
Thank you :) I agree. She has been in the living room for 3 years up until the last month. I will be the one that feeds them from now on and definitely checking on her more often.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Could we get a pic of the full enclosure? I'm interested that you have a fly trap in there!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Your a good parent taking off two days of work to look for your sons lost pet tarantula, I did not expect to read that! Glad you found it and please post pictures of your entire enclosure so we can make sure it is set up safely and appropriately, pet store employees are usually uneducated on proper tarantula husbandry and care.