Escape-proofing?

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I have 2 sub-adult species living in kritter keeper enclosures right now and I'm wondering what would be the "proper way" to escape-proof them? I have some rocks to act as weights on the clear door that opens but is there anything else I should be doing?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive never bothered to escape proof KKs. ive used them for years for dozens of spiders with no issues. dont bother, unless your clear lid is broken.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Upload pics if you can, of everything (T's, enclosures, holes etc) for a better judgement :-s

TRection

Arachnoknight
If I'm not mistake kritter keepers snap shut, you shouldn't have any issues with them so i don't think there's any need to add extra locking :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If I remember right, @Chris LXXIX keeps his goddess in a KK or similar.

.. If you can house the beast in one, you need not worry.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have 2 sub-adult species living in kritter keeper enclosures right now and I'm wondering what would be the "proper way" to escape-proof them? I have some rocks to act as weights on the clear door that opens but is there anything else I should be doing?
The only thing I do to modify a Kritter Keeper is I tape the small clear door shut. This is not for me but for my house mates that are arachnophobic. If I was alone I wouldn't bother. Kritter Keepers are pretty secure and the whole lid snaps on so I would not worry.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Please Deutschland gib money to us, Minghiaweisch, because we are of poor :(
in exchange Italia will send unemployed people in Germany for wash BMW cars of EU troika, for free (well, a Kebab maybe) :)
Spain seconds this statement. Though you will get no Tapas in return :mask:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Stella Maris
The only way T's escape from kritter keepers is via the air slits in the lid. But this only happens when the sling is too small for it and its carapace fits through them.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
However, in general, KK are perfect for (certain) juve/adult T's. And escape proof without the need of putting something 'heavy' above.

If the lids are closed (yes, happened that someone forgot to close those) and the T's aren't slings (happened as well to see slings housed in KK and they jumped out from those holes, a great error) there's no issues.

Besides, I will never cease to say that T's aren't the escape masters always depicted. Scolopendridae are.

This video below has written "risk" all over it, the old rule that if the head pass so will the rest of the body always is a wise one:

I have a female S.subspinipes, looks like this one + or - and I would never house a beauty beast like her in a KK, no chance.

But T's are differents, KK are fine.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tarantulas are not that strong, if you have mesh, they can "chew" through that, but they can't push open kk lids that lock properly... or at least mine never have...

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They can't get out of a KK unless the lid isn't snapped on properly or the hatch is left open, my L. difficilis randomly tries to force her way out but to no avail.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Never had to mod a KK so it would be escape proof. The lids always snap shut, if yours doesn't, it's broken. There's a little plastic tab that prevents from critters from pushing up the lid.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I use KKs all the time -- the lid snaps on over outer lip and the latch door on top 'snaps' into place to 'lock' it. Is yours named Hercules or Houdini?
I love KKs.
That said, I wouldn't put a T under 2+ inches in a KK due to air slats on tops. In fact, I tend to wait until their pushing 3" just to be sure they can't squeeze out.