Escape Artist

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey guys,
I have a simple question that will likely has an array of answers, but I could use some opinions and advice.
My AF Brachypelma boehmei will not stop trying to escape her enclosures. She’s tried cheering thru the screen top (which I replaced with a stronger metal top, nothing changed) and she’s constantly Obsessed with trying to escape she has even rubbed Off a layer on her pedipalps trying to push up the top, etc. - we have had to put a weight on top so she doesn’t. We even changed her tank and rehoused her and still no change in behavior... any ideas on how to stop her from trying to escape?? Thanks! 5E641D76-8FFB-4EAC-A082-6079E9CFC5BA.jpeg

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Change the lid to plexiglass SafeTLid 2.jpg
it may not stop her but perhaps she won't get hurt

take a picture of your substrate, perhaps there is something she doesn't like

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Where can u find plexiglass tops? @Matt Man
We have always used to same substrate, so I’m curious about that one...

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Where can u find plexiglass tops? @Matt Man
We have always used to same substrate, so I’m curious about that one...
sometimes the substrate bothers their feet, too chunky, I was just taking a wild guess.
As for plexiglass tops, most people (myself included) make their own. I just have better equipment than the average hobbyist.
What type of terrarium do you have?

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
Too much humidity? If the humidity is to high your T will try to escape no mater how many times you rehouse it (if your using the same moist substrate). If the substrate is dry, maybe not enough humidity? ( I always provide a water dish). I know that when I rehoused Curly, she hated the moist substrate and didn't even start burrowing till it had dried a little. Spent a large portion of the first week on the walls or the roof. I didn't have any other substrate so I had no choice. Eventually it calmed down, came off the walls and built its burrow.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
He makes tops for ExoTerra! J/K

Can’t change their behavior- that’s like herding fish in the ocean.
I make tops for the Creative Habitat glass terrariums mostly. DOH! missed the JK, but exoterra lid replacements are next, for arboreals.