Escape artist T's

Vindicta

Arachnopeon
Those of you who have had escape artist T 's , what 's the longest amount of time one has been missing before you found it and where / how did you find it ?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've not lost any of my Ts to escape yet.

That being said, from the posts I have seen, the time a T has been lost and then recovered varies a lot from one thread to the next. It just depends on how big the T is and if it has access to food and water on the outside.

What size T did you lose?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
My Adult p. Regalis.. found it after cca 12 hours behind the closet .. it escaped twice through the loose vent hole about which i had no idea..

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
2 hours is my record. Forgot to close the lid for my b.vagans. Checking on my T's and saw her on top of her cage.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I forgot to close the lid on my adult female A. chalcodes's enclosure .. fortunately she is the most boring tarantula ever and about a half hour I went back in the T room and there she was, just sitting there in her enclosure oblivious to the potential freedom above her XDD. That's also the first and LAST time I forget to close someone's lid. I would have been a complete mess if it would have been one of my baboon species.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
4 weeks. My B. smithi got out and I had pretty much given up on her. Then she randomly appeared in a bathroom upstairs.

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Adult A. avic escaped when I didn't close the lid properly. She had been gone for roughly 2 weeks. She was fat and happy when she escaped. I figured I would find her eventually. I was wrong. The cable guy found her, much to his horror, chillin' behind the tv. She was safely returned to her enclosure but my cable still wasn't fixed :(

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My only escape: N. incei that squeezed through a gap just large enough in the enclosure. Found her a few weeks later in the bathroom.

Quick note. Do you notice how there are no "escape artist" tarantulas? It was all errors in husbandry for all of us.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Quick note. Do you notice how there are no "escape artist" tarantulas? It was all errors in husbandry for all of us.
That's what I always said as well. If "size & logic" are respected (meaning, for instance, no sling housed where holes are huge or similar, or "Oh, I forgot the lid opened") nothing will never happens, on that sense. And another thing I love to say is that, a perfectly housed and full settled Theraphosidae (leaving MM out of this) doesn't really want to leave her house.

Seriously no jokes, I will never do this for the respect I have for my T's, but if I completely remove the top lid of the enclosure of my P.muticus for 24H or more, she wouldn't escape or feel the need for try to escape.

Escapes IMO happens for this reasons: goofy acts while performing routine maintenance, wrong rehouse-transfer-cage upgrades, little T's & bigger air holes, lid/s not closed etc

On the other hand, centipedes are for real escape artists, because that enclosure "you" viewed as escape proof, well... those sooner or later will pinpoint the slightest, impossible to consider at all, weaker point :p

louise f

Arachnoangel
I have had 10 P.regalis 1st molt, escaping the holes in a small critter cage a few years back. Haha i was sitting in the couch at the night and suddenly something was moving over there. I got very busy collecting them before they got to far away. I rehoused them in some other enclosures. Do never put Pokie slings in a critter cage. Man that was so lame. :banghead::D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have had 10 P.regalis 1st molt, escaping the holes in a small critter cage a few years back. Haha i was sitting in the couch at the night and suddenly something was moving over there. I got very busy collecting them before they got to far away. I rehoused them in some other enclosures. Do never put Pokie slings in a critter cage. Man that was so lame. :banghead::D
That makes for a lively evening. :D

Coconana

Arachnosquire
Our first P. Metallica sling escaped through a.. questionably sized hole in its enclosure when we first got it. I remember thinking to myself 'maybe we should get another container?' and then not.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Luckily, we found the tiny guy chilling on the wall above the vent three days later. Its name is now Houdini :rofl:

Inspired by Houdini, our second one was promptly named David Copperfield. I don't think we can have any more P. Mets without keeping the name theme going!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am not aware that mine has escaped yet. But that is why they create the burrows isn't it? You keep throwing food into an empty container for months without seeing your T. Meanwhile the T is relaxing in the corner laughing at you.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am not aware that mine has escaped yet. But that is why they create the burrows isn't it? You keep throwing food into an empty container for months without seeing your T. Meanwhile the T is relaxing in the corner laughing at you.
Since @Secretblackmove has disagreed with me then I guess that means my T's haven't escaped after all.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of my little ornatas once bolted so fast that I haven't even noticed it missing for a couple of days. Found it in one of the drawers of the desk my enclosures sit upon.