Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Super fat male, green bottle blue! ~4in dls

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Super fat male, green bottle blue! ~4in dls
He's lookin' good! I know you're not asking for it, but here's some unsolicited advice:

- Replace that mesh lid. There are acrylic or metal options available on the market.
- Add way more substrate to the enclosure.

See this thread for the logic behind both suggestions.

ErinE1

Arachnopeon
He's lookin' good! I know you're not asking for it, but here's some unsolicited advice:

- Replace that mesh lid. There are acrylic or metal options available on the market.
- Add way more substrate to the enclosure.

See this thread for the logic behind both suggestions.
Yes thank you!!! I’m gonna try to put tape over & under the lids of my enclosures. I recently changed his enclosure because there was mold in the dirt, that’s why I put less. Any suggestions to prevent mold? (It was yellow & spotty) I know there’s a way with clay balls but I can’t find anywhere that sells those products, thank you for the advice, anyway to be a better spider keeper is my goal. :)

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Yes thank you!!! I’m gonna try to put tape over & under the lids of my enclosures. I recently changed his enclosure because there was mold in the dirt, that’s why I put less. Any suggestions to prevent mold? (It was yellow & spotty) I know there’s a way with clay balls but I can’t find anywhere that sells those products, thank you for the advice, anyway to be a better spider keeper is my goal. :)
I'm not sure what you mean about putting tape over & under the lid, but remember that T's can get stuck to the adhesive on tape, even stuff as simple as clear scotch tape. I believe that a perforated acrylic lid that fits perfectly on your enclosure is available on Etsy for a reasonable price, so check it out.

As for the substrate, coco coir tends to get that yellow, clumpy mold, so try using something like top soil without any added fertilizers and keep it DRY! Mold is only an issue when the substrate never dries out, and GBB's are mostly an arid species. Slightly over-filling their water dish every other week (or longer if it hasn't dried yet) is all the moisture they need in their sub.

ErinE1

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure what you mean about putting tape over & under the lid, but remember that T's can get stuck to the adhesive on tape, even stuff as simple as clear scotch tape. I believe that a perforated acrylic lid that fits perfectly on your enclosure is available on Etsy for a reasonable price, so check it out.

As for the substrate, coco coir tends to get that yellow, clumpy mold, so try using something like top soil without any added fertilizers and keep it DRY! Mold is only an issue when the substrate never dries out, and GBB's are mostly an arid species. Slightly over-filling their water dish every other week (or longer if it hasn't dried yet) is all the moisture they need in their sub.
Sorry, I’m gonna put black electrical tape over and under the mesh of the lid, doing this in order to prevent him touching adhesive (since it’ll be stuck together) sorry if that didn’t make sense. Thank you, I’ll add more substrate. I think I’ve been messing up by watering his enclosure too often. Thank you for your help! I appreciate it.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
put black electrical tape over and under the mesh of the lid, doing this in order to prevent him touching adhesive (since it’ll be stuck together)
Doesn't that cover all the ventilation or will you be making holes in the tape?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Doesn't that cover all the ventilation or will you be making holes in the tape?
Also sounds like a pain in the rump. There will inevitably be spots that the T will be able to come into contact with exposed adhesive, not to mention that it'll very likely try to chew up the tape. I would suggest getting a cheap piece of plexiglass cut to fit inside the frame of the lid, then drill or melt holes for ventilation, and use some silicone to stick it inside the frame - covering the mesh, leaving vents, and definitely a more durable solution.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Don’t mess with tape just replace the lid, it will take the same amount of time but replacing the lid will last for the duration it’s in the enclosure unlike tape.