Eresus Walckenaeri

Do you think they're cute?

• Total voters

Babushka131

Arachnopeon
I own quite a few tarantulas but I've never owned a true spider before and was wondering what the care for these guys is like?
They're SUPER cute and I'm considering one!:happy:

The wolf

Arachnolord
I own quite a few tarantulas but I've never owned a true spider before and was wondering what the care for these guys is like?
I have one atm and they're super hardy,just put them in a tallish setup mostly filled with moss and spray em every now and again,mines only tiny so she loves baby roaches,baby mealworms and fffs,but yes you should totally get one,they're super slow growers so I'd recommend getting a older and so larger one,it's also worth noting they will be hidden in their webs 24/7 only coming out to eat,they aren't a show pet just one that's kinda cool

Babushka131

Arachnopeon
I have one atm and they're super hardy,just put them in a tallish setup mostly filled with moss and spray em every now and again,mines only tiny so she loves baby roaches,baby mealworms and fffs,but yes you should totally get one,they're super slow growers so I'd recommend getting a older and so larger one,it's also worth noting they will be hidden in their webs 24/7 only coming out to eat,they aren't a show pet just one that's kinda cool

Thank you!
I've read that the humidity should be kept low compared to a tarantula. We don't have roaches in Canada, would crickets smaller than the spider do? Do you use any coconut substrate?

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I'm glad to see someone else is giving these spiders the respect they need (and from Canada too, hi!).
I keep mine very minimalistic: a tall container, the substrate is 1-2cm deep dry sand, with some dry branches or shreds of leaves at the bottom for the spider to make its retreat. I do not give any water, they take it from the prey. For food I use small mealworms, but they will take anything as long as it is not too big and scary for them. Crickets and even beetles are fine, these spiders are super strong. Males will mature within 1-1.5 years and females within 2-2.5 years.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Haven't kept these but do have an adult female Gandanameno sp that I raised from a small sling. They're very similar.

Bone dry eco earth or similar. Only needs to be a 1-2cm as it won't really be used. On top of that bone moss. The spider will create it's home in that. They'll happily take decent sized prey for their tiny size (as slings). When it comes to rehousing you can transfer all the moss (including the spider)in 1 lump and surround it with more moss.

My adult female is in a setup described above but with a piece of cork bark too.

Skip to page 20 on my spider thread.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/my-spiders.286563/page-20

Babushka131

Arachnopeon
Ahh thank you both so much!
I'm looking forward to receiving my little guy soon :)
If I have any more questions I'll be back!

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have cast my vote for cute, but with the caveat, not as cute as Pippin.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Although not Eresus Gandanameno sp are pretty much the same. They out cute jumping spiders in my book.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Thank you!
I've read that the humidity should be kept low compared to a tarantula. We don't have roaches in Canada, would crickets smaller than the spider do? Do you use any coconut substrate?
Yeah totally i spray mine cus the setup has way to much ventilation and I've had dry loving sp die in it before now and now it's just in my memory to spray lmao

Crickets should work but try to crush the head and drop em on the web so they wiggle and don't bite

You can use basically any sub you want and they
I'm glad to see someone else is giving these spiders the respect they need (and from Canada too, hi!).
I keep mine very minimalistic: a tall container, the substrate is 1-2cm deep dry sand, with some dry branches or shreds of leaves at the bottom for the spider to make its retreat. I do not give any water, they take it from the prey. For food I use small mealworms, but they will take anything as long as it is not too big and scary for them. Crickets and even beetles are fine, these spiders are super strong. Males will mature within 1-1.5 years and females within 2-2.5 years.
i think they need to have moss actually to replicate their natural environment which is heathland

Please correct me if I'm wrong

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
No real need for moss. Eresids prefer the dry niches of the habitat. They are very hardy.

Babushka131

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, I was reading about someone commenting how there was a dead child, fever and/or swelling just from a bite from these guys.
Is the venom that potent..?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had moss with mine when I kept them, but I never watered because I wanted to keep it dry. I just used the moss because that's what I had at the time and it gave the spiders lots of nice webbing points. Now I have more leaves than moss, so if I get them again they can have fun webbing to that stuff (also without water).

basin79

ArachnoGod
Just got myself another 2 Gandanameno sp. Both set up with bone dry sub with a deep layer of bone dry moss on the top. Both soon webbed up and ate.

mrfang

Arachnopeon
Hoping to see Eresus walckenaeri become more available in the US. I have a couple of slings, but have been told they have not yet successfully been bred in captivity. Apparently all that are currently in the hobby are either wild caught or produced from egg sacs made by wild caught moms.

Attachments

Venom100

Arachnosquire
Hoping to see Eresus walckenaeri become more available in the US. I have a couple of slings, but have been told they have not yet successfully been bred in captivity. Apparently all that are currently in the hobby are either wild caught or produced from egg sacs made by wild caught moms.
I think pairings have happened before. It’s just not to common in the hobby. Happening on rare occasions due to inflation of females and not enough males.

Last edited:

Sam Hain

Arachnopeon
Hello
I was wondering if you got the ladybird spiders yet?

Phid Phan

Arachnopeon
I just got an Eresus Walckenaeri sling and I am wondering how to give it water in the small sling container? I can't spray it like a jumping spider enclosure. I am afraid I will kill the sling by over watering it.