Epibolus pulchripes (Kenyan Giant Red Legged Millipede)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have some sexually mature Epibolus pulchripes (Kenyan Giant Red Legged Millipede). Can anyone provide me with any helpful information concerning reproduction with this species? I have all of Orin's millipede books. I am hoping there is someone out there that has observed something not in these books. Online information on this species is minimal. Thanks in advance.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
You might try posting in the following Facebook groups:

Diplopoda or 'Millipede' - sometimes 6 legs just isn't enough!!
MYRIAPOD MAYHEM & other Inverts!

They have a lot of European members who keep African and Asian species that we don't see too often here in the US.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Epibolus pulchripes (Kenyan Giant Red Legged Millipede) just had babies. :biggrin:

I saw one yesterday and it was an inch long. I have Orin’s book and I am doing everything he recommends. I am wondering if anyone that has had this species and had them reproduce can offer any helpful hints that will help me to maximize their long term survival rate. Thanks!

Pictures of the parents will follow. When I get pictures of the babies I will also post them.

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats!!!

I've noticed nearly every photo of this species online is mating or courtship. Are E. pulchripes particularly randy or is that just a coincidence?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anyone? :)

I have Epibolus pulchripes babies :biggrin:

Orin, in his book, says babies are fragile and mainly eat wood. I noticed a dead baby already. Does anyone have this species and had babies that lived to be juveniles? If so, can you please explain (or provide pictures) of your enclosure, the enclosures environmental conditions and the food provided? Thanks in advance.

I know they are very rare in the U.S.

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh wow! Good luck raising these little guys! Sorry to hear about the loss though.

Can we get some photos?

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
If they mostly eat hardwood, perhaps sawdust and small ground up pieces may help. Just a suggestion as I dont keep many species.

And best of luck with the little ones you have already, congrats on the successful breeding as well.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If they mostly eat hardwood, perhaps sawdust and small ground up pieces may help. Just a suggestion as I dont keep many species.

And best of luck with the little ones you have already, congrats on the successful breeding as well.
THANKS!! and thanks for the reply. I have had shredded decomposing wood and a large decomposing log in with them the whole time. I think the dead baby might be related to something else. I was hoping someone with babies could comment about ventilation and humidity levels as I think it has something to do with that. Today I added 2 more decomposing logs so now they do not have to go far to get dead wood. We shall see. I also (3 weeks ago) moved the adults into a new enclosure since I had a massive amount of frass on the top layer of the enclosure. I noticed the adults of this species tunnel like crazy and I thought that maybe the adults were damaging the babies by continually walking and tunneling into them. I will get pictures if I can get the babies to at least 2 inches. Right now they are .75 to 1 inch, all dark black with a little red. Not so awesome to photograph. I need to get a good picture of the adults as I realized the one above does not show how bright their red legs are.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok. I have the enclosure loaded up with a lot of dead wood and I am not seeing an dead babies. I looked under a few decaying branches and saw two 1 inch juveniles. I also noticed some 1/4 inch babies. I must have 2 groups of eggs that were laid at different times. :)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I saw another good sign yesterday. There was a burrow hole about 1/4 of an inch on the surface. It is good evidence that at least one baby has matured to a juvenile. Anybody else have this species in the U.S. or are these the only ones?

---------- Post added 05-07-2014 at 11:15 AM ----------

You might try posting in the following Facebook groups:

Diplopoda or 'Millipede' - sometimes 6 legs just isn't enough!!
MYRIAPOD MAYHEM & other Inverts!

They have a lot of European members who keep African and Asian species that we don't see too often here in the US.
I checked out the European members groups but no one had any information on captive breeding. I then went to a few European millipede websites that sell millipedes and they were super cheap. They are just pulling them out of their natural habitat in large numbers then importing them to Europe and selling them cheap. Its just a matter of time before many of these millipede species go extinct if they continue to over-exploit them in their indigenous habitats.

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK. I just found a one inch juvenile. Some (or one) are making it through the early instar phases. I think these are the only babies/juveniles in the U.S.

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
OK. I just found a one inch juvenile. Some (or one) are making it through the early instar phases. I think these are the only babies/juveniles in the U.S.
This breed of millipede has to be one of my top favorites! Absolutely stunning and congrats on your babies! Bet they are adorable!

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This breed of millipede has to be one of my top favorites! Absolutely stunning and congrats on your babies! Bet they are adorable!
Thank you! Do you have any of this species or know anyone in the U.S. that does? Yes, they are very beautiful. Those bright red legs... :) They are very cute. I could only purchase 5 babies a few years ago and only had 3 (1 female and 2 males) make it to adulthood. My female then laid a bunch of eggs but the die off rate of the babies is very high. I am hoping that I can get at least 5 to adulthood this time. We shall see. :)

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
Thank you! Do you have any of this species or know anyone in the U.S. that does? Yes, they are very beautiful. Those bright red legs... :) They are very cute. I could only purchase 5 babies a few years ago and only had 3 (1 female and 2 males) make it to adulthood. My female then laid a bunch of eggs but the die off rate of the babies is very high. I am hoping that I can get at least 5 to adulthood this time. We shall see. :)
I don't have any of this species currently i only have AGB's with at least 4 young pedes and 1 large baby and a flameleg millipede all lonely like in his little tank. As far as anyone else having this species in the US i think you are the first because i couldn't find this species a year ago when i was purchasing my AGB's.