Ephebopus uatuman/ breeding questions

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Tomorrow I'm going to look at four W/C adult female E.uatuman it's a species that I have cared for before but I have never bred.

In fact I have never seen a male and only a hand full of Slings... So it brings me to my main questions.. Is this species female heavy and are they known for being difficult to breed?

I love the look of these Ts and would love to have a few hundred crawling around in my incubators sometime this year.. I checked the breeding reports and dug through some old threads but information was scarce or possibly I missed it..

Any info you have will be greatly appreciated!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tomorrow I'm going to look at four W/C adult female E.uatuman it's a species that I have cared for before but I have never bred.

In fact I have never seen a male and only a hand full of Slings... So it brings me to my main questions.. Is this species female heavy and are they known for being difficult to breed?

I love the look of these Ts and would love to have a few hundred crawling around in my incubators sometime this year.. I checked the breeding reports and dug through some old threads but information was scarce or possibly I missed it..

Any info you have will be greatly appreciated!
Great to see you back 14! I haven't bred these, but I'm almost positive @advan has.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Great to see you back 14! I haven't bred these, but I'm almost positive @advan has.
Thanks man! It's nice to be out of jail and male again! Lol. My question is what was the hackers point behind deleting my avatar? Smh...

Thanks I hope he can give me some pointers.. I'm excited to be working with this species even if I never find a male!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks man! It's nice to be out of jail and male again! Lol. My question is what was the point of deleting my avatar? Smh...

Thanks I hope he can give me some pointers.. I'm excited to be working with this species even if I never find a male!
Male, again? Oh dear, another surgery gone bad hahah j/k.

Advan is in the Caribbean, living the jet set life if I recall correctly. Hopefully he will see this ping and respond.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I did hatch these a few years ago. Pairing is pretty straight forward. I just cohabbed the male with the female until he was eaten(about 2 weeks). Keep them with moist substrate at all times with a lot of substrate. No need to trigger a rainy season just raise the temps a few degrees a month or two after pairing. Easy way to do this is keep her enclosure on the ground before and after pairings, wait a month or two and move her to the tallest shelf you have in the same room. These do double clutch so if you feed the female heavily after the first sac, she may drop you another one. ;) Good luck! -Chad

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I did hatch these a few years ago. Pairing is pretty straight forward. I just cohabbed the male with the female until he was eaten(about 2 weeks). Keep them with moist substrate at all times with a lot of substrate. No need to trigger a rainy season just raise the temps a few degrees a month or two after pairing. Easy way to do this is keep her enclosure on the ground before and after pairings, wait a month or two and move her to the tallest shelf you have in the same room. These do double clutch so if you feed the female heavily after the first sac, she may drop you another one. ;) Good luck! -Chad

Thank you advan. I had no idea they would double clutch.. Very cool... Also Great pics as usual.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Ephebopus murinus and Ephebopus uatuman.. One's a NW species from what I can gather, and the other is a baboon.
Two completely different genera. Pterinochilus murinus and Ephebopus murinus.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Two completely different genera. Pterinochilus murinus and Ephebopus murinus.
I know the difference between P. murinus and E. murinus, guess I just read wrong/brain early in the morning and thought E. murinus was like part of a monotypic genus that shared the same name as a NW genus, not realizing E. murinus was NW.

Sana

Arachnoprince
A quick note to throw in with this species. @AphonopelmaTX told me a while back that they need their burrow to stay moist. I lost one earlier this year to dehydration. I was keeping one side of the enclosure moist but it wasn't the burrow. Apparently this has come up for a couple of folks in the past.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I know the difference between P. murinus and E. murinus, guess I just read wrong/brain early in the morning and thought E. murinus was like part of a monotypic genus that shared the same name as a NW genus, not realizing E. murinus was NW.
10:48PM is pretty early in the morning when you originally asked the question. It is not possible to have two genera named the same, even across different orders.

The sole reason Maraca was renamed Bumba. Maraca was already in use......

Pérez-Miles, F., Bonaldo, A. B. & Miglio, L. T. (2014). Bumba, a replacement name for Maraca Pérez-Miles, 2005 and Bumba lennoni, a new tarantula species from western Amazonia (Araneae, Theraphosidae, Theraphosinae). ZooKeys 448: 1-8.

"We propose the name Bumba as a new name for Maraca, preoccupied by Maraca Hebard, 1926 (Orthoptera)."

advan

oOOo
Staff member
A quick note to throw in with this species. @AphonopelmaTX told me a while back that they need their burrow to stay moist. I lost one earlier this year to dehydration. I was keeping one side of the enclosure moist but it wasn't the burrow. Apparently this has come up for a couple of folks in the past.
Yes, always keep Ephebopus substrate deep and moist, not just one side. Keep them like Haplopelma and other Asian burrowers.

Chinverts

Arachnopeon
Im going to start pairing these soon. Ill keep notes and make sure to post em here if im succesful.