Ephebopus murinus

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I may have the chance to buy one of this species. I used the search function on here using both the scientific and common names, but aside from reading about the slings being arboreal, and them being grumpy, I couldn't find much info. So this is what I gathered so far: they're obligate burrowers, needing slightly damp substrate, 3 or more times their DLS for substrate. Temperament is high strung/
defensive, and they can flick hairs from the femurs of their pedipalps. Couldn't find anything on venom, but it being a NW species, that shouldn't be very potent right?
Enclosure doesn't need anything special other than cross ventilation to avoid stagnant conditions, piece of bark with a starter burrow under it.
Am I missing anything? What are your experiences with this species?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
You don't need that much substrate, my AF has ~8 inches and she has made an impressive burrow with it. Personally I would try to find one that is a juvenile or bigger to avoid the delicate sling stage and so you don't have to mess around finding just the right husbandry for slings.
I used a half of a cork tube and dug out the sub a little underneath so she would have room to hide in there and start burrowing. Some people mentioned on AB that their E. murinus stays out i the open more. They are not what I would call a pet hole. Use Oodles and Oodles of web anchors, my female took the pleasure of dragging all the fake leaves and moss to the mouth of her burrow and webbed them up like she is trying camouflage the hole.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The spider I'm hoping to buy is 2 or3 cm bodylength, so that's a juvenile I think.
I am looking for something a bit more feisty without having to deal with potent venom. This will also be my first obligate burrower.
Thanks for the input!

Bread

Arachnopeon
The thing that comes to mind when I see that name is this video I saw on youtube, brave little guy :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My thoughts exactly!
But then, i usually think that about the males in a mating video. Some of the differences between males and females is crazy!
@YagerManJennsen what exactly are Oodles and Oodles of anchorpoints? :p typo?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
My thoughts exactly!
But then, i usually think that about the males in a mating video. Some of the differences between males and females is crazy!
@YagerManJennsen what exactly are Oodles and Oodles of anchorpoints? :p typo?
Oddles is just a fun way of saying lots and lots of something. (oodles of time, oodles of spiders, etc etc)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I may have the chance to buy one of this species. I used the search function on here using both the scientific and common names, but aside from reading about the slings being arboreal, and them being grumpy, I couldn't find much info. So this is what I gathered so far: they're obligate burrowers, needing slightly damp substrate, 3 or more times their DLS for substrate. Temperament is high strung/
defensive, and they can flick hairs from the femurs of their pedipalps. Couldn't find anything on venom, but it being a NW species, that shouldn't be very potent right?
Enclosure doesn't need anything special other than cross ventilation to avoid stagnant conditions, piece of bark with a starter burrow under it.
Am I missing anything? What are your experiences with this species?
This is pretty accurate in a general sense, though I never provided more than 3x the amount for sub depth. I've kept its cousin Ephebopus cyanognathus basically how you described above.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This is pretty accurate in a general sense, though I never provided more than 3x the amount for sub depth. I've kept its cousin Ephebopus cyanognathus basically how you described above.
Thank you!
What's with the black typefont? I can barely read your comment...(i have the black and green bushy background)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you!
What's with the black typefont? I can barely read your comment...(i have the black and green bushy background)
I copied and pasted the Latin name, and chose black. It offers more contrast on the standard theme.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
First thing first: 0.1 are amazing, while 1.0 IMO sucks, so if you aren't interested in breeding buy a 100% sexed female I say (my advice, of course, do what you wish).

Second: IMO their poop is beyond the limit of decency, I have a female that manage to throw that 'paint' stuff even to the wall! next to her enclosure. 'Avics' poop? Nothing compared.

Third: they are fast. Really fast. My baby performed a 40 cm coast to coast in not even two seconds, once. Venom is, as far as I know (never bitten at the end) more painful than the average & lovely army of NW pet rock/s.

Overall a must have, they need lots of inches of moist substrate for burrow, they love to burrow... watching those sitting on their burrow/throne like a badass old school dictator, waiting for a cricket, is worth every cent u_u

Buy one I say.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The name of my baby is 'Lovely Bone', since she's by far cool than Glenn Danzig in his skeleton 'Misfits day' :-s

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks Chris! Will remember the poop story :p
Are they faster than Tappies or Psalmopoeus? Are they run and type of species or do they stand their ground and threatpose?

I don't see them for sale often around here so i think I'll get one indeed. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thanks Chris! Will remember the poop story :p
Are they faster than Tappies or Psalmopoeus? Are they run and type of species or do they stand their ground and threatpose?

I don't see them for sale often around here so i think I'll get one indeed. :)
I don't know now if others had this experience but I can say that their poop IMO is a nightmare :)

No, I don't think that they could been fast like those you mentioned, but trust me they are fast, no matter. In general, once they settled up, they are quite 'calm' and retreat in the burrow at noise (when I remove the top, for instance, for feeding and refill the water dish) but if they want, man they are fast, by far more than a 'GBB' for me :-s

I never saw a threat display from mine, nor hair kicking (which is supposed to be funny, they don't scratch their butt, unlike other NW ah ah). Great eaters, and not so pet holes like 'Haplos' are I have to say. Nice web around, especially if you offer a piece of cork bark & some fake leaves.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
The spider I'm hoping to buy is 2 or3 cm bodylength, so that's a juvenile I think.
I am looking for something a bit more feisty without having to deal with potent venom. This will also be my first obligate burrower.
Thanks for the input!
Looks like an awesome species.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I don't know now if others had this experience but I can say that their poop IMO is a nightmare :)

No, I don't think that they could been fast like those you mentioned, but trust me they are fast, no matter. In general, once they settled up, they are quite 'calm' and retreat in the burrow at noise (when I remove the top, for instance, for feeding and refill the water dish) but if they want, man they are fast, by far more than a 'GBB' for me :-s

I never saw a threat display from mine, nor hair kicking (which is supposed to be funny, they don't scratch their butt, unlike other NW ah ah). Great eaters, and not so pet holes like 'Haplos' are I have to say. Nice web around, especially if you offer a piece of cork bark & some fake leaves.
My AF gave a threat posture to a roach once then she realized it was food.

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I while back I rehoused my E. murinus, my E. uatuman and both C. darlingis. The murinus fought like crazy, striking several times at the paintbrush and threat-posing. WAY more attitude than the uatuman gave me, and the darlingis were both pretty easy. Granted, the darlingis are both smaller than my Ephebopuses are, so that may have played a role.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I saw a video of an Ephebopus cyanognatus kicking hairs, that looked weird, but funny indeed. Quite different from butt-scratching indeed! :D