Ephebopus murinus are considered aggressive I'm confused

Carly107

Arachnopeon
I was doing a lot of reading today when I came across several different articles saying that they're considered aggressive I'm really confused by this because I have an adult and it is the most mild-mannered thing on the planet is never never kicked hairs at me I take the lid off of its cage and clean its water dish and all of its trash it makes everyday and it literally sits there and does nothing it doesn't even care that I'm there I actually feel more comfortable working around it than any of the other spiders I never considered it as aggressive special case or is it normal

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
They typically are considered a defensive species, yes. But oddballs are all over the hobby. Just be aware that mood swings can certainly happen, so never get complacent with any spider.

And now to ensue the oh-so-fun "They're defensive, not aggressive!" debate :p

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think they are more (seriously) fast and skittish than defensive. Let's say a 'GBB' attitude on (few) steroids.

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Good to know I have been working around it as if it was a curly hair hell even she threw hairs at me in the past I will keep a guard up when around it definitely don't want to get bit had no idea it was aggressive the store it came from told me its a pink toe that lives on the ground and had different markings never thought of it as aggressive because my 3 pink toes are the nicest things on earth I don't handle any of them but still good to know I do a lot of maintenance in its cage it's quite messy well they really all are but it's okay

Attachments

Carly107

Arachnopeon
I appreciate the info guys I don't always believe everything the web says would rather ask experienced keepers thanks guys

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My adult female is quite cranky and absolutely intolerant of any sort of intrusion. She gives really good threat poses, almost on par with my P. cancerides, The Queen of Hate.

Carly107

Arachnopeon
My adult female is quite cranky and absolutely intolerant of any sort of intrusion. She gives really good threat poses, almost on par with my P. cancerides, The Queen of Hate.
Wow i never knew they where that way good to know in case its mood changes later on

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it were to flick hairs at you, they wouldn't be from the rear. E murinus type V urticating hairs are on their pedipalps. They release them with their chelicerae.

My adult female has been, for the most part, pretty easy going. Once, when I accidentally surprised her, she immediately flipped onto her back, fangs bared and flicking those pedipalps. They are individuals, some are crankier than others.

Carly107

Arachnopeon
If it were to flick hairs at you, they wouldn't be from the rear. E murinus type V urticating hairs are on their pedipalps. They release them with their chelicerae.
Thank you for the information I appreciate that good to know to watch the front not the back in regards to hair throwing I feel pretty lucky that it's easy going at least for now

My adult female has been, for the most part, pretty easy going. Once, when I accidentally surprised her, she immediately flipped onto her back, fangs bared and flicking those pedipalps. They are individuals, some are crankier than others.

AracKnight

Arachnopeon
Well, mine are pretty fast, but they just disappear into their retreats in a blink of an eye. They never faced me 'aggressively'. I guess if you keep them wrong, not offering enough substrate they can dig their retreats into (or using substrate where they can't really dig no matter how much of it you put into their enclosure), they will become 'aggressive' since fleeing is not an option.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was doing a lot of reading today when I came across several different articles saying that they're considered aggressive I'm really confused by this because I have an adult and it is the most mild-mannered thing on the planet is never never kicked hairs at me I take the lid off of its cage and clean its water dish and all of its trash it makes everyday and it literally sits there and does nothing it doesn't even care that I'm there I actually feel more comfortable working around it than any of the other spiders I never considered it as aggressive special case or is it normal
Hey @Carly107 do all humans act the same?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
As stated above, they don't kick hairs from the bum and I believe I've read they supposedly have slightly stronger venom-- for a NW anyway.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Mine is also very chill. Rehoused it few times, and it wasn't much defensive even when I was kicking him out of burrow. Never seen him spraying hairs (even thou I would like to see it;)