Ephebopus cyanognathus

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Keep in mind, that properly housed, this is not a species you will see very often at all...very shy...and adults don't look as brightly colored either.
Uhm...i think i have her properly housed, but i still see her front four legs and carapace almost every night....not sure how to take your comment on this. Is my housing off, or do i just have an oddball? Or is the term 'visibility' slightly different between you and me in this case?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Uhm...i think i have her properly housed, but i still see her front four legs and carapace almost every night....not sure how to take your comment on this. Is my housing off, or do i just have an oddball? Or is the term 'visibility' slightly different between you and me in this case?
Specimen variability that's all, all things being equal.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't give it to your boyfriend as a first T.
I'm thinking about getting one for myself because my husband expressed interest in this species. It wouldn't really be for him. I wouldn't expect him to take care of it. It would be more for me to take care of and for him to admire, if that makes sense. It's also an attempt to get him even more interested in this hobby.
Keep in mind, that properly housed, this is not a species you will see very often at all...very shy...and adults don't look as brightly colored either.
Not seeing the specimen at all is a downfall. I guess I can hope to see it as much as @Andrea82 sees hers, if I decide to get one. I think I would be happy enough with that.
Some of your information is plain wrong.
Thank you for helping me clarify the facts. That's why I made this thread. I definitely need to know the basic husbandry of this species, if I plan to get one.

1. High humidity- not true at all. I've always kept them a little bit more moist than say my scrubland species that prefer arid climates. I kept mine in somewhat moist sub in a container with holes drilled where the sub is located to provide increased ventilation to prevent mold, either from sub moisture or potential cricket parts.
I assumed that moist substrate equaled high humidity. This is not the case? So what you are saying is moist substrate and lots of ventilation to prevent the humidity from going too high? I'm just trying to make sure I understand correctly.

4. VERY FAST and VERY SKITTISH all things being equal, they are faster and more skittish than a GBB. If your GBB is not like most in that dept, then don't use that as a baseline comparison hah.
Yeah my GBB hasn't been a fast one, so far. Its only about 1.5" though, so maybe that will change.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Humidity and good ventilation is a good thing, and what this species needs. Humidity and bad ventilation causes stuffy moist enclosures, which kill spiders.
It sounds contradicting, too be able to ventilate an enclosure while keeping humidity up, but moisture is not the same as humidity.

Edit:
Oh, and i think it is really sweet to get a T your boyfriend likes!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm thinking about getting one for myself because my husband expressed interest in this species. It wouldn't really be for him. I wouldn't expect him to take care of it. It would be more for me to take care of and for him to admire, if that makes sense. It's also an attempt to get him even more interested in this hobby.

Not seeing the specimen at all is a downfall. I guess I can hope to see it as much as @Andrea82 sees hers, if I decide to get one. I think I would be happy enough with that.

Thank you for helping me clarify the facts. That's why I made this thread. I definitely need to know the basic husbandry of this species, if I plan to get one.

I assumed that moist substrate equaled high humidity. This is not the case? So what you are saying is moist substrate and lots of ventilation to prevent the humidity from going too high? I'm just trying to make sure I understand correctly.

Yeah my GBB hasn't been a fast one, so far. Its only about 1.5" though, so maybe that will change.
No problem!

Moist is a relative term as is fast ;)

Moist substrate to me, is not necessarily high humidity. I have some containers where the sub below the surface is a darker brown indicating greater water content, I use these for my N. incei, as well as Blue Fangs.

The holes provide ventilation to prevent/minimize mold growing. It's not a requirement per se, just something I do. The holes are good for people (myself at times) that add a bit too much water at times to the sub.

I'm never concerned about humidity being too high, I don't keep my Ts in such a web substrate. However there is enough moisture bound in the sub to generate mold at times without the holes at times. I like to minimize how much micromanagement I need to do. So holes are helpful in this case.

It also means one has to make sure the sub doesn't dry out too quickly.

But I'd rather be concerned about that, then mold.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
A lot of people aren't as lucky as you.:D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
'Skeletrons' if properly housed loves to do that, Andrea :)

Tell Jan (Storm76) about your specimen behavior. Or about mine. That's the same as Jan one ;-)

If housed properly they love to "appear" in front of their burrow, waiting like a Pitbull. Granted, mostly they live down under, they are burrowers after all.

cold blood

Staff member
Three only here: me, Andrea82, Storm76.
Yeah, I understand that...I should have been clearer...its pretty typical for fossorials to sit just like that at the burrow mouth....but ones I consider "out", would be ones like Ceratogryus, where the entire spider is out on a regular basis...that's pretty much what I meant, that it won't be out and about walking around or sitting there in the open for a photo opportunity....but I didn't make that very clear.:pigeon::cow::beaver::panda::pigeon:

(Is this a ghost from Pac-Man? >:pigeon:? Sure don't look like no pigeon I have ever seen):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, I understand that...I should have been clearer...its pretty typical for fossorials to sit just like that at the burrow mouth....but ones I consider "out", would be ones like Ceratogryus, where the entire spider is out on a regular basis...that's pretty much what I meant, that it won't be out and about walking around or sitting there in the open for a photo opportunity....but I didn't make that very clear.:pigeon::cow::beaver::panda::pigeon:

(Is this a ghost from Pac-Man? >:pigeon:? Sure don't look like no pigeon I have ever seen):rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yuk, indeed you're right, my (genus) Ceratogyrus * are completely pet-web holes eight legged, on the other hand, (still I saw them on a regular basis) that's why this hobby is so amazing. Same T's, different perspective :-s

* However I offered them lots of substrate inches for trigger that pet-lovely-hole attitude :p

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I swear I don't glow or anything. ;)
Uh... for now. Within a couple of years you will turn into a 'Fallout' (Bethesda™) Ghoul, but don't worry <-- read this with Hal Holbrook voice -- the hospital will give you a wrist watch :troll:

I'm joking, ah ah :kiss:

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Uh... for now. Within a couple of years you will turn into a 'Fallout' (Bethesda™) Ghoul, but don't worry <-- read this with Hal Holbrook voice -- the hospital will give you a wrist watch :troll:

I'm joking, ah ah :kiss:
I'll be lucky to get a watch from them.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I think I am going to wait to order one until weather is better. I just had some unlucky shipping this past week and I really think it's because of the cold weather. Even though doa specimens are refunded, I hate thinking they were doa because of the weather. So I plan to order once spring hits or maybe I will come across one at the monthly expo around here. In the meantime, I'm just gathering information and building my want list, which is ever growing.