ephebopus cyanognathus venom?

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
hi all,
so i was doing some maintenance in the blue fang's enclosure and suddenly she decided to teleport up the side and into the palm of my hand and curl up there :? they do behave very differently to any other t i have owned. i was just wondering about the venom on them, like was that a recipe for disaster? i got her back in no probs. i have looked in bite reports, checked online and there is no info on the venom. any advice would be great.
thanks

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I havnt kept these but if they have urcticating hairs(arnt these the one with the u hairs on the palps?) then it won't be a bad bite.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It really depends on whether you even get a wet bite.

IMO if you didn't find anything worry some in the bite reports you probably don't really need to panic.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can get very bad bites from new world theraphosids
:? :? I'm not sure I follow you here. Old World theraphosids are the ones with strong envenomations...not New World.

Once upon a time, somebody posted a chart of theraphosid venom potencies. I'll see if I can resurrect it, but from what I remember, Ephebopus and Megaphobema were at the top of the New World t's ( which isn't saying a whole lot.) I would expect a bite from E. cyanognathus to be very mild.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
:? :? I'm not sure I follow you here. Old World theraphosids are the ones with strong envenomations...not New World.

Once upon a time, somebody posted a chart of theraphosid venom potencies. I'll see if I can resurrect it, but from what I remember, Ephebopus and Megaphobema were at the top of the New World t's ( which isn't saying a whole lot.) I would expect a bite from E. cyanognathus to be very mild.
Yes of course oldworlds are much worse but newworld bites should be respected. A friend of mine got bit by a juvenile A. geniculata and he got cramps, chest pains, sweatings and a lot of pain. Besides from that you can also get a mean mechanical damage.

That chart you saw was theraphosid venom in mice and not a humans, different animals reacts differently to that kind of venom.

But you can never say that newworld bites arent bad:)

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But you can never say that newworld bites arent bad:)
"Newworld bites arent bad." Oops! I said it! ;P

And, moreover, I believe it. Whatever happened to your friend, was not a result of any toxic action of the venom. More likely he had an anxiety attack, because the biochemistry of New World tarantula venom just isn't behind such symptoms.

If you'd said those symptoms resulted from a Poecilotheria bite...I'd believe you, because there is a demonstrated reproducability to that result. But chest pains and cramps...is waaaaay off the charts for what an Acanthoscurria sp. typically does to a human, which leads me to believe there was an alternative or extenuating cause there.

Yes of course oldworlds are much worse but newworld bites should be respected.
I don't think ANY venomous bite should be taken lightly, and I'm careful to avoid bites from any and all of my tarantulas. But, realistically, if I were bitten by a NW tarantula, I wouldn't expect much to come of it.

Besides from that you can also get a mean mechanical damage.
Here you have a point. Some of the larger theraphosids...Lasiodoras, Pamphos, Theraphosas etc would punch some pretty mean holes in whatever part of you they bit. I pity the foo' who gets a 1" T. blondi fang embedded in his hands.

That chart you saw was theraphosid venom in mice and not a humans, different animals reacts differently to that kind of venom.
So what's your point? ALL venom testing is done in mice....and yet that still gives us a rough basis of comparison among venoms (though not an absolute potency rating).

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ALL venom testing is done in mice....and yet that still gives us a rough basis of comparison among venoms (though not an absolute potency rating).
Agreed, those tests show G. rosea venom to be particularly potent at killing mice but I get your drift. I don't want to be bit by any T, but I too would be more worried about taking a hit from an OW (venom wise).

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with you but, my friend who got bit is a healthy athletic person and the bite it self did not hurt much but it is true that some people can get more severe reactions to new world bites. Aprox 10 hours after the bit symptoms he was fine.