Entomophagy

Aline

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all !
I have become very interested in entomophagy starting a few years ago and would love to discuss it with fellow spider-keepers :)

I was wondering if store-bought crickets would be ok for human consumption? Does anyone here breed crickets or other invertebrates for human consumption or has ocasionally eaten some from their breeder?
I can find dryed-out crickets and cricket powder in stores close to my house and have used them for many recipies, but haven't seen any other insects for sale. Are any other spider feeders good for human consumption?

Thanks ! :)

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
I mean... my dubias get fed with Bug Grub, which seems similar to what they’re shipped and presumably fed on before reaching me. However, Bug Grub does say not for human consumption and after touching to wash hands etc. So. I dunno to be honest. Just remember whatever the feeder eats, you’re then eating, too. And there’s not really a way of knowing this unless you breed them yourself.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I ate a petco mealworm once. It tasted ok, and I'm not dead. Think they're raised on cheap grains, but who knows what else is in there, I suppose.

Raising these animals is pretty cheap and straightforward. If you wanted to try just one I doubt you'd be harmed. I don't think it's a great idea to make store bought feeder insects a regular part of your diet.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Raise them yourself and feed them fresh foods that you would eat.
I don't see any issue with it if they are cooked.

I don't eat feeders but always joke that my roach bins would be helpful in an apocalypse.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
You will have MUCH less luck with cricket palatability than roaches. Roaches are a more nutty taste like cicadas. Crickets are so ammonia based it will taste like eating a handful of cat pee. You can dry them but you will have to purge them first. Too much trouble for such a small turnout.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've tried a wide variety of dried insects (there are several online vendors and I basically got the leftovers from a class I was the TA for). Not a fan of silkworm pupae, but I liked the rest (crickets, mealworms, giant water bugs, some scarabs and their grubs, etc.). Makes for a heck of a stirfry! I think if you're farming them yourself there shouldn't be any issue. Though I've got some mealworms chewing through styrofoam that I probably wouldn't eat just in case.

Aline

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You will have MUCH less luck with cricket palatability than roaches. Roaches are a more nutty taste like cicadas. Crickets are so ammonia based it will taste like eating a handful of cat pee. You can dry them but you will have to purge them first. Too much trouble for such a small turnout.
I can't raise roaches, I am in Canada. But I have eaten store-bought crickets many time and they tasted fine !

Aline

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've tried a wide variety of dried insects (there are several online vendors and I basically got the leftovers from a class I was the TA for). Not a fan of silkworm pupae, but I liked the rest (crickets, mealworms, giant water bugs, some scarabs and their grubs, etc.). Makes for a heck of a stirfry! I think if you're farming them yourself there shouldn't be any issue. Though I've got some mealworms chewing through styrofoam that I probably wouldn't eat just in case.
Which online vendors did you get them from if I may ask? Are the vendors specific for human consumption?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@richard22 has done some rather extensive experimenting with commonly available feeder insects as human food sources, perhaps he could shed some light on your query @Aline?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Which online vendors did you get them from if I may ask? Are the vendors specific for human consumption?
I'll try to find them again, it was years ago that I did it. All were for human consumption, though with certain taxa it's hard to say how specific it really is.

Ognyen

Arachnopeon
FOUND ONE! An Entomophagy Forum! I used to be very active in entomophagy on Facebook (created group, "Missouri Entomophagy"), but dropped out of Facebook a few months back. Finishing up the last of 10 presentations this month today, and got two more in July. Love to get my fingers back on the pulse!

Ognyen

Arachnopeon
Hello all !
I have become very interested in entomophagy starting a few years ago and would love to discuss it with fellow spider-keepers :)

I was wondering if store-bought crickets would be ok for human consumption? Does anyone here breed crickets or other invertebrates for human consumption or has ocasionally eaten some from their breeder?
I can find dryed-out crickets and cricket powder in stores close to my house and have used them for many recipies, but haven't seen any other insects for sale. Are any other spider feeders good for human consumption?

Thanks ! :)
There are quite a few commercial producers out there. Amazon sells a bunch of cricket product. I'm really more of a forager, but some of those powders are mighty good. I've been eating and doing public presentations on entomophagy for probably around 15 years now. I can give you instructions for collecting your own of many species. Looking forward to hearing from you.