Enough ventilation?

Cully

Arachnopeon
Hello, I have a local guy that puts these enclosures together really reasonably from old 2.5 gallon tanks. Does this look like the ventilation is adequate? These are 2 inch vents enclosure.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, ventilation is only critical for moisture dependents and Avics....those kept dry or predominantly dry, actually require only minimal ventilation.

I will say though, plexiglass with holes drilled in them is a far far better choice and safer choice than mesh vents. Mesh events allow for the tarantula to get their claws caught in them, and there's the fact that tarantulas, given the opportunity, can actually chew through them.

Cully

Arachnopeon
Yes, and here's a great example for that: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/my-t-escaped.325709/#post-2984198

Also, is that pot you have in there cut in half? So, your T would be able to burrow down and extend its burrow if it wants to?
Thanks for that, I am looking for alternatives to the mesh screen. The screens in this enclosure are stainless steel, though, and not fiberglass. Hoping that makes a difference.

I am looking for an alternative, as i have a glass supplier locally who can cut and drill glass for less than cost of buying the same size enclosure. I have found perforated metal vents like these https://www.amazon.com/MroMax-Diame...t=&hvlocphy=9021465&hvtargid=pla-835809036384

Would these be better?

And no, the pot is not cut in half. That pot was in her deli cup enclosure when I bought her, so I just moved it to the new enclosure. She hasn't yet in 2 weeks even gone inside of it. And at the show she would not come out of it. Spiders are wierd.

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
Its suggested any piece that is used as a hide be buried halfway (like you have it) and also open on the bottom/cut in half, so they extend the burrow. I also like to make a starter burrow inside the hide

Also deep, a little moist substrate to prevent high falls if they climb the glass, as well as allowing them to burrow

My newly acquired A. seemani and T. albo are both currently digging and tunneling at the bottom of their enclosures. It is fun to watch

Last edited: