Enough ventilation for A. Avicularia?

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Hi, everyone! I am new to the world of T's and am prepping for my second T shipment, which are a. avics. I decided to make arboreal enclosures like Cycling Sam out of Hobby Lobby display cases.

I use the Hobby Lobby display cases. They are not too difficult to make. Here is a video that I did and some pictures as well:
View attachment 231634
I'm just wondering if put in enough ventilation. Each case has a large diamond pattern of holes drilled on each side, a smaller one on top, and two rows of hole down the back. The room they're going to be kept in stays around 75° and between 65% - 80% humidity (depending on the weather), so I want to make sure they've got plenty of ventilation so the humidity doesn't build up too much in their enclosures. What do you all think? Enough, or drill more?

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
It looks great! Excellent job. I love the Hobby Lobby containers. I just wish they had even more sizes.

On mine I also sometimes put a hole down low so that I can use a syringe to put water into the water dish without opening it. Of course this is an optional feature.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Very good! I love it when folks do research and plan ahead for their new tarantulas.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I just wish they had even more sizes.
I was thinking the same thing when I bought these ones. They do have one size up from this that looks like it might work for adult avics, but that's the biggest they had. Would definitely have to find something different for larger species.

And thank you, everyone! I really appreciate the input!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I was thinking the same thing when I bought these ones. They do have one size up from this that looks like it might work for adult avics, but that's the biggest they had. Would definitely have to find something different for larger species.

And thank you, everyone! I really appreciate the input!
Yes. And the same situation occurs for terrestrial T's. I also like the Hobby Lobby cases for terrestrial slings, but they don't provide quite big enough container for most full size terrestrial's that need some substrate depth and space.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Avics don't need that kind of humidity. Other than that it sounds good to me.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Avics don't need that kind of humidity. Other than that it sounds good to me.
Yeah, that's why I was worried they might not have enough ventilation, because that's just the natural humidity in my apartment, and I know the humidity inside the enclosure will be more than the room. I want to make sure they don't have too much humidity.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, that's why I was worried they might not have enough ventilation, because that's just the natural humidity in my apartment, and I know the humidity inside the enclosure will be more than the room. I want to make sure they don't have too much humidity.
Good on you for all the preliminary research. Sounds like you will have a nice set up. Check out @viper69 and @cold blood posts on Avics to get some great ideas on setting up the enclosures.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I doubt your Ts will have issues. What's important is mass air exchange IME.