Enough of the false feeding propaganda

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YheSMK3NkNw&feature=related

Once again nature has proven elitists and hobbyists DEAD WRONG! The problem with 90% of people who have tarantulas, is the fact they have eliminated the pure nature from them. Because you choose to tong feed, hand feed, or starve them with 1 frail captive bred cricket per week, DOES NOT mean this is how it should be, or how it's supposed to be. I've read comments of the dumbest degree on Youtube of people spewing the same garbage about not feeding a Tarantula small lizards, or not feeding a Tarantula frogs, even some idiot went as far on Youtube to argue about not feeding a Tarantula a Cicada because it could damage the tarantula? LMAO The illogic in today's world is mind-boggling.

When people get it through their thick skulls that Tarantulas are majestic in nature, and revered, then you will start to fully grasp what it is exactly you have captive within your home. Not just the fact that you own 25 or 100 T's makes you some elitist all-knowing. But to fully grasp the true nature and majesty of these animals will garner you far more respect than from what I've seen from many in this hobby. We capture animals, insects, and even people in this world and we immediately forget or remove who they truly are from them.

This video of a Goliath Bird Eater killing and eating a very very venomous Fer-De-Lance Snake shuts many people's mouths. On the level of over feeding. Also on the level of not feeding T's reptiles. And on the level of how a tarantula cannot attack nor defend itself against prey items. This was nature at it's best.

All I'm saying is people need to repsect what they have in their homes as display animals. Otherwise let them go so you don't have to continue feeding others false information.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful! That was just... beautiful! :clap:

We now know who the all-knowing truely is! Thank you... for sharing your life-long knowledge with us.. :worship: We all here are really unworthy.. But you.. You take the time to teach us all.. :rolleyes:

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Beautiful! That was just... beautiful! :clap:

We now know who the all-knowing truely is! Thank you... for sharing your life-long knowledge with us.. :worship: We all here are really unworthy.. But you.. You take the time to teach us all.. :rolleyes:

relax it's quite clear after reading your response you didn't watch the video. try doing so when you get time off arachnoboards.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are so many things you aren't considering. There are still plenty of things we don't 100% know about them in the wild. We don't know how often ts get a chance to eat inverts in the wild. Maybe that snake gave it a good enoug meal so that it won't even need to eat until it's next molt. Maybe it's the only invert it manages to atch all year. Maybe the next snake delivers some poison.

The biggest thing though... Just because it did soething in the wild, doesn't mean it's something we want them to repeat in captivey for the sake of our pet's lifespan.

Horses carry humans, it's frowned upon for fido to hunt in a pack, it's frowned upon for cats to go kill the neighborhood birds, etc etc.

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
And I suppose reptile keepers should ignore the dangers of feeding over sized prey because "in the wild" they will eat dangerous prey items out of necessity and instinct. Or how about letting all the Leo keepers feed nothing but king worms despite the guarantee of obesety because "in the wild" if they had access to them 24/7 they would eat them.

The practice of keeping wild animals in captivity comes with a lot of responsibility. Eliminating dangers is at the top of the list. It is a proven fact that over feeding significantly lowers an inverts lifespan. Should we all feed one unhealthy cricket to a T per week? No and that is hardly your argument. But if you would like to feed your T's Snakes and Frogs then go right ahead. I think you will find that the "Elitists" and humble keepers alike will not be doing so based on your poorly conceived post based on a foolish premise and lack of pertinent facts.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
90% of T owners have eliminated pure nature from their Ts? I'd say the figure is 100% (that includes yourself) seeing as we keep them in containers in our homes, no? Your use of the terms "starve" and "frail cricket" also seem a tad silly. Do you have evidence that all Ts fed one prey item (frail or not) a week are starving? If so, I'd be interested in seeing it.

The majority of people in this hobby do respect and admire tarantulas. Otherwise, we wouldn't keep them, no? In my opinion, that video (it's been posted here many times btw) neither proves nor disproves anything. Of course Ts will feed on a wide variety of prey items in the wild. That T came out on top...that time. Doesn't mean a snake wouldn't nail it the next time.

Look, I couldn't care less what you choose to feed to your Ts, but you are coming across just as belligerent as the people you accuse of "elitism". Are you saying that because I don't feed my Ts lizards, snakes, or rodents, I should "let them go"? That's what it sounds like to me.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This guy comes on here, asks for advice, doesn't take it, tells us we're wrong, and then calls us "know it alls". Then he posts and tells us what he knows IS right and that what we say is propaganda. I swear I've never had so much fun on arachnoboards, then reading this guys stuff. He watches one video on YouTube and all of a sudden this hobby is "wrong". I honestly think this guy believes he is the hobby's savior or something. Well I don't know about you guys, but I'm off to buy deadly snakes to feed to my tarantulas. Because after all, if it happens in nature, then we MUST do the same for ours. {D

Everyone enjoy, sit back with some popcorn, because this is gonna get good :D

Oh yeah and apparently us "know it alls" should let our Ts go, but he doesn't have to.

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Ever watch The Most Extreme on Animal Planet? They showed pacman frogs dying from eating things too big for them. In the wild. So does that mean that all pacman frog owners should kill their frogs because that is what happens in nature? I mean I saw it on a video and everthing!

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ever watch The Most Extreme on Animal Planet? They showed pacman frogs dying from eating things too big for them. In the wild. So does that mean that all pacman frog owners should kill their frogs because that is what happens in nature? I mean I saw it on a video and everthing!
But did the tarantula die from eating the snake? no

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You are a TROLL. And this is the first time I use the stupid term.

There are many things who simply doesnt make any sense with the whole thread...But just to name a few;

1.A Documentary is a well prepared,staged,bunch of events.
Depending of the nature of it, things you watch can be very well "staged", or "prepared for".

In the video, you probably have seen in fact 6 or 7 different tarantulas, in 20 diff locations. The snake scene is made , not just "sort of happen" (Not that it cant happen in the wild, but just so you understand what you see on the TV ) Thats how most of the documentaries of this nature are done.

2.As many others have pointed out, what the heck that has to do with what should we feed in captivity?
So should we all go buy snakes,rats and lizards to feed our Theraphosas?

Nature and its course,; some tarantulas in the wild might live 25 years with many broods, and some others die eaten,full of parasites,or starved.
Thats nature-We have them in captivity.

Is pretty obvious in any inteligent mind that if we want to be succesfull with them in captivity we need to take the best of their wild enviroments, not "the bad".

3. Seems like the one who didnt watch the vid is you. The video is outdated, and there are documentaries and documentaries.
A lot of the stuff said in this video has nothing to do with reality and the scientific facts that we know

To summ this up: What are you trying to say here besides start a fire? What are you trying to achieve with this?
Do you really want to educate or just insult people?

I think the only one who have to humble a bit is you, not "the elitists".If you feel like starting crap get the hell out of here, we dont need unneducated people to stirr crap around the boards with stupidity.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Look carefully at the 4:30 minute mark and you can see what looks like the tip of a pair of tongs pushing the snake towards the T to encourage it to feed . It looks more like the T was defending itself when it bit and not looking for a meal . Not to mention the fact that the whole thing it obviously shot on a very well constructed set , I would say that your entire point is completely invalid .

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Well said Fran. :clap: I dont even know what to say in this thread. Im glad someone has enough sense to put things in perspective. I think the OP is looking for a argument. Lets not give him the satisfaction. :D

possumburg

Arachnosquire
But did the tarantula die from eating the snake? no
Could have died during its next molt. Which is what people think may happen when they are fed vertebrates.

Fact is I highly doubt these spiders live anywhere near as long in the wild as they do in captivity, in a controlled environment. So who knows that spider could have died the next day, who knows. As Fran pointed out those films are staged. One once showed Lemmings jumping off of a cliff. Which they in fact do NOT do in nature.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone who is determined to feed their pets dangerous prey, go for it. Your Darwin Award will arrive posthumusly.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fran's answer was right on target. The only thing I'll add to it is that seeing ONE tarantula eat ONE meal in supposedly natural conditions is a far cry from knowing what they normally eat over the course of a year or over their lifetimes. And we don't know what the long term effects of that meal were. For all we know, the tarantula crawled back into its hole and bled to death from injuries it sustained. Or it may have lived the rest of its life without ever encountering another snake.

DawgPoundSound is running true to form here.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I guess to start at the top:

I don't see why you are accusing everybody here of tong-feeding and hand-feeding their tarantulas. (Handfeeding??) I believe the majority do not, and those that do have their reasons to do so. If the tarantula eats good food, it lives, regardless of the method of delivery. You say that this video is going to shut people's mouths and parade it as if you alone have found it. But it has been discussed on here a great deal already, and even recently at that. It doesn't shut people's mouths, it simply opens up a line of inquiry that some people pursue intelligently and others less so.
I would like to also note that Youtube is NOT arachnoboards. The majority of comments there will not be from the people here. But seriously, there are plenty of ridiculous comments on Youtube vids. If they annoy you, then why waste your time on them? And not that it is relevant, but did you consider that the person who commented about the cicada might have thought that it was caught from outside and carrying pesticides? It is possible that this wasn't the case, but really, if you are going to pick on every Youtube comment about tarantulas, you must have alooooot of time on your hands.
Moving on, Nature does not "revere" anything. Nature survives and cycles and many other cool things. WE revere aspects or creatures of our choice, and that is why there are tarantula keepers and arachnoboards. Do NOT make the mistake of thinking that you are the only one who respects these creatures. While I agree that the number of tarantulas does not measure the passion of a person for the animal, 100 tarantulas DOES speak experience...trials, failures, triumphs and variety. NOBODY has the right to judge a keeper's soul or dedication but the experience of another can be very helpful sometimes.
At any rate, the whole argument that things happen in nature, as people have mentioned, is completely invalid. A person cannot even observe a wild animal without subtley having an effect on its life and environment. We are caging these tarantulas and keeping them in our homes. Even if we tried our hardest, our homes will never be nature. We have to accept that if we keep an animal, any animal, and try to give it the best care possible. The best care possible for a tarantula is likely not trying to emulate the wild, because tarantulas die much more in the wild than in captivity. They are part of the food chain on many levels and we, because we DO love these creatures, try to keep them alive as long as possible.
There are people here on arachnoboards, if you would have looked, that feed their tarantulas mice, lizards or frogs. Also there are those that have never given their T anything but crickets in its life. That is their choice and they only speak up about it when people ask for advice or begin a discussion.
Then they are entitled to their opinions.
I am not one of those elite you talk about, but it looks to me like you are just posting and saying things to start a fight. I don't get it. If you don't like the people here, why stick around to talk to them? If you want to learn, then by all means stick around, participate in discussions, but if everyone here makes you mad and you come here to make them mad, then it is a waste of everybody's time. Look at my join date. Now look at my number od posts. I lurk alot. I LEARN alot. It's great.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Didn't you ever learn that you can't believe everything that you see on tv? What are the actual odds of a camera crew being in exactly the right place at exactly the right time to film that? Seriously?

Once again nature has proven elitists and hobbyists DEAD WRONG!
No, it has proven that you are taken in by Hollywood tricks as easily as a child.

The problem with 90% of people who have tarantulas, is the fact they have eliminated the pure nature from them.
I would almost agree with you here, because I dislike utilitarian enclosures. However, pulling statistics out of your rear end ruined that.

Because you choose to tong feed, hand feed, or starve them with 1 frail captive bred cricket per week, DOES NOT mean this is how it should be, or how it's supposed to be.
So, who decides how it is "supposed to be", or "should be"?

Correct answer: the owner of the tarantula.

There are no set in stone rules to go by when caring for tarantulas in captivity and the fact that you seem to think there is, just shows how little you know.

It is ALL personal preference, for instance: We(Mr. Gone) tong feed, so we know how much the tarantula eats; because we keep track of it in a little notebook. It helps us predict premolt and well, it gives me something to do since I can't tong feed. Others tong feed to make sure there aren't any crickets in there to munch on their T should it molt. See PERSONAL PREFERENCE!

Also, if you have evidence that one cricket a week is starving a T, I would love to see it.

I've read comments of the dumbest degree on Youtube of people spewing the same garbage about not feeding a Tarantula small lizards, or not feeding a Tarantula frogs, even some idiot went as far on Youtube to argue about not feeding a Tarantula a Cicada because it could damage the tarantula?
Do you realize how nasty that bolus would be? That's enough reason right there! However, since we are trying to provide a home that is better than what they would have in nature, why would expose them to other animals that actually have a chance at killing them? Illogical to say the least.(and to channel my inner Spock)

LMAO The illogic in today's world is mind-boggling.
and yours is purely mind bottling.

When people get it through their thick skulls that Tarantulas are majestic in nature, and revered, then you will start to fully grasp what it is exactly you have captive within your home.
Once you see a pack of roaming A. hentzi males walk across the street to your yard, you have a pretty good grasp of it.(psst.... that story is about me)

Not just the fact that you own 25 or 100 T's makes you some elitist all-knowing. But to fully grasp the true nature and majesty of these animals will garner you far more respect than from what I've seen from many in this hobby.
No, the number of tarantulas has nothing to do with your knowledge, but with the experiences you have had with them. I wonder if you truly grasp what you are griping about.

We capture animals, insects, and even people in this world and we immediately forget or remove who they truly are from them.
Broad generalizations seem to be your forte. I see no reason to feed my tarantula vertebrates to allow them to get in touch with their 'roots'.

This video of a Goliath Bird Eater killing and eating a very very venomous Fer-De-Lance Snake shuts many people's mouths.
Wait, I thought the goal of posting this video was to make people's jaw drop in disbelief......... and how do you shut people's mouth on the internet?

On the level of over feeding. Also on the level of not feeding T's reptiles. And on the level of how a tarantula cannot attack nor defend itself against prey items. This was nature at it's best.
So, it is you personal preference to present prey items to your Ts that have the ability to hurt/ maim/ kill it? If so, no one is going to stop you, because they are yours!

All I'm saying is people need to repsect what they have in their homes as display animals.
If you don't, you will most likely end up in the bite report section rueing the fact you didn't.

Otherwise let them go so you don't have to continue feeding others false information.
That is a quick and easy way to.....

1) kill the tarantula
2) kill some small neighborhood animals
3) kill the hobby

So, great advice, so glad you posted this thread.:rolleyes:

Edited to add: boy howdy I didn't realize it was this long of a post!

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's nice to have this all put into perspective for me. Thanks DawgPound. I knew that I hadn't learned anything at all about tarantulas in the 4 years I've been keeping them. Neither has anybody else here, especially the ones who've kept them for 10+ years.

Thanks for reminding us that we are all fools who know nothing about our hobby. It's a good thing you were around to set us straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.