Encouraging non-dangerous spiders on outside of house to control insects + compete with the more dangerous ones

jaybasi

Arachnopeon
(This is my first time posting, so please let me know if I'm doing something against the norms of the board.)

I live in south-eastern NSW (Australia), in a more rural area. I have encountered a few (hundred) spiders while doing work on the land, most have been huntsmen, although some I believe have been funnel webs (encountered while digging). Luckily I haven't seen the funnel webs for a while, so fingers crossed. My issue is: I have a house + shed that I would like to encourage 'nicer' spiders to live on the outside (I encourage harvestmen inside the house). I have researched a bit, and have found sheet weaver spiders (a name I believe encompasses a whole group of spiders) seem to not pose a risk to humans/animals, but also compete with other spiders for location/food.

1. Am I right in my understanding of sheet weavers? If so, are there any species native to SE NSW that I could find and encourage?
2. Do you have any other ideas/different species native to Australia that might help with my aims?

Thanks for reading, and I'm always open to advice.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
(This is my first time posting, so please let me know if I'm doing something against the norms of the board.)

I live in south-eastern NSW (Australia), in a more rural area. I have encountered a few (hundred) spiders while doing work on the land, most have been huntsmen, although some I believe have been funnel webs (encountered while digging). Luckily I haven't seen the funnel webs for a while, so fingers crossed. My issue is: I have a house + shed that I would like to encourage 'nicer' spiders to live on the outside (I encourage harvestmen inside the house). I have researched a bit, and have found sheet weaver spiders (a name I believe encompasses a whole group of spiders) seem to not pose a risk to humans/animals, but also compete with other spiders for location/food.

1. Am I right in my understanding of sheet weavers? If so, are there any species native to SE NSW that I could find and encourage?
2. Do you have any other ideas/different species native to Australia that might help with my aims?

Thanks for reading, and I'm always open to advice.
Hi, out of curiosity, do the funnelwebs you have encountered look anything like this, perhaps darker or lighter but with the same metallic shine on their head?
IMG_20210727_222453.jpg IMG_20210727_222759.jpg IMG_20210727_223317.jpg IMG_20210727_222001.jpg
IMG_20211002_174945.jpg
IMG_20211002_174819.jpg
IMG_20210928_091848.jpg

Their burrow is a perfectly circular open hole with no triplines extending from them.

I ask this because some of most funnelweb-mistaken spiders we have in the country are borderline harmless armoured trapdoors and wishbone spiders, which many people kill due to being similar in appearance. In actuality these are perfectly safe to have around the house, they are only mildly venomous and like almost every other primitive spider in the country, rely on powerful jaws to kill prey instead of strong venom. Do you have any photos on hand that may assist us in finding out if they are indeed funnelwebs?

If you do indeed have them, the best bet for managing wandering males that may enter the house is, surprisingly enough, redbacks. Redbacks are very shy and will not bite unless you basically force your fingers in their face, and do an excellent job snagging mature male ground dwelling spiders in their web triplines that connect to the ground. Daddy long legs also do a good job, but since they mostly occur inside and have very flimsy web, they may not be suitable for catching a strong funnelweb male.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Hi, out of curiosity, do the funnelwebs you have encountered look anything like this, perhaps darker or lighter but with the same metallic shine on their head?
View attachment 402045 View attachment 402046 View attachment 402047 View attachment 402048
View attachment 402050
View attachment 402049
View attachment 402051

Their burrow is a perfectly circular open hole with no triplines extending from them.

I ask this because some of most funnelweb-mistaken spiders we have in the country are borderline harmless armoured trapdoors and wishbone spiders, which many people kill due to being similar in appearance. In actuality these are perfectly safe to have around the house, they are only mildly venomous and like almost every other primitive spider in the country, rely on powerful jaws to kill prey instead of strong venom. Do you have any photos on hand that may assist us in finding out if they are indeed funnelwebs?

If you do indeed have them, the best bet for managing wandering males that may enter the house is, surprisingly enough, redbacks. Redbacks are very shy and will not bite unless you basically force your fingers in their face, and do an excellent job snagging mature male ground dwelling spiders in their web triplines that connect to the ground. Daddy long legs also do a good job, but since they mostly occur inside and have very flimsy web, they may not be suitable for catching a strong funnelweb male.
I want those spiders in my house

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@RezonantVoid Better get the low down on what is meant by 'sheet weavers'.
Interesting that Latros snag those chunkers.
OP, your 'daddy long legs', pholcids, harmless of course, are mostly useful catching insects but pose a minor threat to salticids and sometimes huntsmen. If they bumble or rappel into the pholcid webs they are usually history.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
@RezonantVoid Better get the low down on what is meant by 'sheet weavers'.
Interesting that Latros snag those chunkers.
OP, your 'daddy long legs', pholcids, harmless of course, are mostly useful catching insects but pose a minor threat to salticids and sometimes huntsmen. If they bumble or rappel into the pholcid webs they are usually history.
You're correct, I did forget to mention sheet weavers! If it's what I think they are, they do not do anything particularly useful in regards to managing mygalomorphs, the webs are far too flimsy and they themselves far too small.

What is cool though, is when large numbers of them band together
images - 2021-10-20T171319.747.jpeg images - 2021-10-20T171304.763.jpeg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@RezonantVoid I'd have hated living in that place. Afraid I'd stomp one with every step.
But not, I was thinking of a guy up Queensland way that called funnel webs sheet webs.

@jaybasi BTW, pholcids, jumpers - salticids, and huntsmen, all harmless, are not only your best friends against the hordes, but also good indicators of a healthy environment. If they aren't present over a period of a couple of months somebody is going crazy with the pesticides.