Enclosures

Popolo

Arachnopeon
What are the best looking cheaper enclosures. Right now I just the clear model car cases from hobby lobby and those work for my juveniles but I and need something for adults that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. I have given thought about picking up some glass and cutting and making my own I just don’t have any experience doing so. Thank you all

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Acrylic is pricey. Plastic will dull overtime. Glass is the best but needs some assembling skill.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Tarantula cribs has some nice looking enclosures, I haven’t personally used them but they are nice looking for the money.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
If you want something that will last then glass is the best option. It would require some time and skill with setting everything up but it won't really scratch or lose its transparency.
I recommend you check out european style of those glass enclosures and make the same one or similar.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I use Hobby Life tubs, they're similar to RUBs but cheaper, much clearer, and come in a bigger variety of shapes/sizes. Not sure if these are available on your side of the pond though.

For arboreals I use the cheaper European glass enclosures shown above, the equivalent of an Exo Terra nano tall is about £25 here.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
If you want something that will last then glass is the best option. It would require some time and skill with setting everything up but it won't really scratch or lose its transparency.
I recommend you check out european style of those glass enclosures and make the same one or similar.
You got any plans for these? I wouldn’t mind building a few.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
You got any plans for these? I wouldn’t mind building a few.
That's all I could find, it not exactly the same design as it's made for glass door sliding left and right which isn't optimal (big tarantula can actually slide the glass panel but can't raise it).
You'd have to adjust dimensions according to what size you actually want it to be. And don't forget about glass thickness. What I bought most likely has 4mm thick glass in it.
If you need some real life pictures to see how they placed them together so they fit well then let me know.

To be honest it uses so called 'gravitational' ventilation and I'm not really fan of it, so I'm working on my own project that has better ventilation and removable top lid as well.

I realized I didn't attatch the picture.

Last edited:

Coradams

Arachnoknight
It you like the model car display cases (I use them myself) then Hobby Lobby also has larger display cases for basketballs and footballs. I like these because they are very clear and I can drill as many ventilation as I like. I can also make them where I want. I just picked on up for a T. albo and I think they are half price through today.
2.jpg

Popolo

Arachnopeon
I recently saw this style in some European videos and I really like how they make the air flow vents. It would definitely just take me some practice

It you like the model car display cases (I use them myself) then Hobby Lobby also has larger display cases for basketballs and footballs. I like these because they are very clear and I can drill as many ventilation as I like. I can also make them where I want. I just picked on up for a T. albo and I think they are half price through today.
View attachment 368025
Do you think that this would be an okay size for a full size T albo? I have a few younger ones in my collection and have been thinking about full grown enclosures

Gertz

Arachnopeon
Take this with a grain of salt, just starting in the hobby but I got some of these from The Container Store in the US

Clear, Stackable, and Easy to Drill Holes. The sizes vary, I dont think the largest size will fit larger adult species but will likely be good for a lot.

In terms of cutting glass, I used to work part time as a picture framer, I would gather you may be able to stop into a picture framing place and buy glass to size if youre not comfortable cutting it yourself. If your fine cutting it, you can buy sheets at home depot, get a cutter, and do it yourself. Its pretty straight forward

Hope this helps a little

- Gertz