Enclosure????

Khoa

Arachnopeon
I'm planning on making a new enclosure for my asian forest scorpions (heterometrus laoticus). Here is my plan:
- 21 gallons tank
- A foam background cover with peat moss and coco fibre
- Some decorarions (woods, rocks, moss...)
- False bottom (pebbles) so i'm going on a mini-waterfall and a thin shallow moat instead of a water dish (i'm quite hesitate about this)
- Substrate is peat moss and coco fibre and husk, cover the top with a layer of sphagnum moss and some leaf litter (chopping from tree without any bugs)
- Microfauna: springtails and isopods
- Light: daylight???? (i need some advises)
nightlight (infrared bulb or normal red bulb?)
Pls give me some advises about this plan. Thank you!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Seems pretty good. No light is needed with scorps, may even make it to where they won't want to come out during the day. Also, be careful with foam backgrounds. A scorp could climb up and fall off of it. Make sure to post some pics of the finished product though, it would be better to see it set up first ;)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sounds like a nice set up for them! They don't need light, but if you want to check them out at night, a red bulb should be fine. If it gets chilly at night, you can use an infrared bulb to bump up the temp a bit and still be able to see them.

Khoa

Arachnopeon
Actually i want some daylight because they provide circadian rhythm in the wild, and with the daylight effect, it will be a great decoration for my house :happy:

Khoa

Arachnopeon
Seems pretty good. No light is needed with scorps, may even make it to where they won't want to come out during the day. Also, be careful with foam backgrounds. A scorp could climb up and fall off of it. Make sure to post some pics of the finished product though, it would be better to see it set up first ;)
Sure i will, but there is a problem that i'm in grade 11 and my parents don't allow me to build one (although i knew exactly what i'm going to do) UNTIL going to university :(. So it will be 1 and a half year to go :(, but i promise i'll post my product when it finish :)

Last edited:

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
I would avoid the waterfall personally and go with natural Viv with leaf litter. Just imo . What you could do is go with only partial background and only go up 4 -5" with foam and put some nice wood pieces on the back, that way they cant get up to top and wont fall either.

Khoa

Arachnopeon
I would avoid the waterfall personally and go with natural Viv with leaf litter. Just imo . What you could do is go with only partial background and only go up 4 -5" with foam and put some nice wood pieces on the back, that way they cant get up to top and wont fall either.
should i put foam background in it?

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
should i put foam background in it?
You can, just dont go over half way up the glass, just do 4"-5" of foam with some wood and then apply silicone and cocofiber it.

I will be building a very similar one this weekend i can send you pictures @Khoa

Khoa

Arachnopeon
should i use hight output lamp (the lamp for planted aquarium) for my plants in scorpion terrarium?