Enclosure size

Aleksa

Arachnopeon
Hi Everybody,

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out. I am interested in getting a 4" Panama Blonde but I am not sure what size enclosure to get, and where I could opt for some nice clear DIY enclosures, instead of getting the typical exo terra,zilla... But if I have to get that I will :) Thanks!!

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
The floor space should be about 2.5 times your tarantula’s leg span and height should be about 5 times as much.
you can look at tarantula cribs treehouse or etsy.
most true DIY enclosures do not have good enough quality plastic to be completely see through,
they mostly have film or cloudy feature, or are warped at corners or turns. i didnt think id mind it myself but it bothered me a lot. i ended up ordering enclosures anyway

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi Everybody,

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out. I am interested in getting a 4" Panama Blonde but I am not sure what size enclosure to get, and where I could opt for some nice clear DIY enclosures, instead of getting the typical exo terra,zilla... But if I have to get that I will :) Thanks!!
DIY is exactly that, you source the acrylic and build.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
The floor space should be about 2.5 times your tarantula’s leg span and height should be about 5 times as much.
you can look at tarantula cribs treehouse or etsy.
most true DIY enclosures do not have good enough quality plastic to be completely see through,
they mostly have film or cloudy feature, or are warped at corners or turns. i didnt think id mind it myself but it bothered me a lot. i ended up ordering enclosures anyway
I ended up doing the same thing. Built my first DIY about a year ago for one of my T's and 11 months later... Warped edges. I noticed for the price of a large sheet of thick quality acrylic, might as well just buy an enclosure already made, no warping whatsoever and I'm happy I did.

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
DIY is exactly that, you source the acrylic and build.
its so expensive to buy acrylic and then make it yourself though, unless youre going to make a lot of enclosures :dead: didnt think theyd want to build with acrylic for one T

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I ended up doing the same thing. Built my first DIY about a year ago for one of my T's and 11 months later... Warped edges. I noticed for the price of a large sheet of thick quality acrylic, might as well just buy an enclosure already made, no warping whatsoever and I'm happy I did.
Use glass, it won't scratch nor warp.

Tree years later still like new 😂😂😂
IMG-20200817-WA0006.jpg

Last edited:

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Use glass, it won't scratcht nor warp.

Tree years later still like new 😂😂😂
View attachment 399818
Ya it looks nice. I like acrylic though. Weighs a lot less. I know how to buff out scratches in acrylic as well, if need be! Probably when I get my final mature molt from some arboreals I'll do the exo Terra. For now acrylic has treated me very well!

Those setups are very nice tho 🤘

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Ya it looks nice. I like acrylic though. Weighs a lot less. I know how to buff out scratches in acrylic as well, if need be! Probably when I get my final mature molt from some arboreals I'll do the exo Terra. For now acrylic has treated me very well!

Those setups are very nice tho 🤘
But for the thickness needed to not warp, it almost weight the same like glass, if not more.

With the 1/3 price of an exo terra you can build a much better enclosure using 4mm glass, with a more clean look. I had an exo terra before, and those are far superior imo. They are pretty easy to build, right one was made by me.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
But for the thickness needed to not warp, it almost weight the same like glass, if not more.

With the 1/3 price of an exo terra you can build a much better enclosure using 4mm glass, with a more clean look. I had an exo terra before, and those are far superior imo. They are pretty easy to build, right one was made by me.
Ya.. that's why I bought the new acrylic cages. I stopped building them. They don't warp at all. I love them. As far as weight, glass is definitely heavier.. I don't have too much time on my hands to build multiple glass enclosures. I would prefer buying one, but to each their own. I like that all the ones I have are the same brand and all match. I am a neat freak. I wouldn't be happy with my own constructed enclosure. I'd spend too much time perfecting it when I can just buy one ;)

When my arboreals get to be mature I'll just go with a nice exo Terra for all of them.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I think the same as you hahahaha xD, that's why a build the last enclosure by myself, if not I had to travel 900km again...

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
8x8x12 exoterra nano tall. They are like 35 bucks at petco.