enclosure size question

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
For slings that are 1/8 of an inch to 1/6 of an inch in length, what size of enclosure is sufficient for them? Are vials or tubes (such as "medium storage tubes" you can buy at Hobby Lobby in the U.S.) of a size of 1in. x 3.875in. too big or too tall for such tiny slings?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Definitely vials at that size. Much bigger containers and they may have trouble coming across food, and you might have a little trouble finding them somewhere in all that substrate. I don't think the height of the vial matters as much as the diameter when the Ts are that small. Just fill it up so there isn't a huge gap between the lid and substrate.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Definitely vials at that size. Much bigger containers and they may have trouble coming across food, and you might have a little trouble finding them somewhere in all that substrate.
I'm going to shop around at Hobby Lobby tomorrow and see what I can find. They apparently have even smaller plastic storage tubes (5/8in. x 3 1/2in.) but I'm assuming that is still too big?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
5/8 inch diameter sounds a little TOO small to me. I'd go for the 1-incher and just fill it 75% full of substrate. Should last you 2-3 molts with most species if you start with slings that small.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
What species is it, out of curiosity? If it's arboreal, I'll defer to someone who knows about them. I just know they need tons of cross ventilation to survive, and terrestrials do not.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
What species is it, out of curiosity? If it's arboreal, I'll defer to someone who knows about them. I just know they need tons of cross ventilation to survive, and terrestrials do not.
Nope they are definitely not arboreal; they are terrestrial species. From what research I've been doing I'm reading that ventilation holes on the sides are difficult to do so most tubes/vials have ventilation holes on the top.

My main concern with ventilation holes is a 1/8 to 1/6 inch sling squeezing through even needle-thin holes. Is this certainly possible?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My main concern with ventilation holes is a 1/8 to 1/6 inch sling squeezing through even needle-thin holes. Is this certainly possible?
Just make the holes smaller than the carapace and you'll have no issues.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
For slings that are 1/8 of an inch to 1/6 of an inch in length, what size of enclosure is sufficient for them? Are vials or tubes (such as "medium storage tubes" you can buy at Hobby Lobby in the U.S.) of a size of 1in. x 3.875in. too big or too tall for such tiny slings?
Nope they are definitely not arboreal; they are terrestrial species. From what research I've been doing I'm reading that ventilation holes on the sides are difficult to do so most tubes/vials have ventilation holes on the top.
You can buy a sleeve of 2oz condiment cups with lids (jello shot cups for party peeps) at wally world for cheap. They work great for terrestrial slings the size you described. When they are bigger move them in the 4oz cups and then on to 16oz deli cups. That should hold you to 2.5 to 3 inches.

I use a needle to poke the hole and a toothpick to widen it until it is the size need.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

what species?

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
They are N. chromatus.

For humidity in vials/tubes, do you only want to wet the substrate enough towards the surface?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
They are N. chromatus.

For humidity in vials/tubes, do you only want to wet the substrate enough towards the surface?
Those like to burrow given the chance so I'd start them out in the 4oz condiment cups and add in some extra substrate. Straw pieces make good hides till they burrow. I just lightly dampen one side of the vial/cup (careful though cause it doesn't take much) and the moisture will spread out.

Here are some of the cups in action. The slings in them were the size yours are when I put them in. They have molted 3 times since then and don't look look so tiny anymore.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Those like to burrow given the chance so I'd start them out in the 4oz condiment cups and add in some extra substrate. Straw pieces make good hides till they burrow. I just lightly dampen one side of the vial/cup (careful though cause it doesn't take much) and the moisture will spread out.

Here are some of the cups in action. The slings in them were the size yours are when I put them in. They have molted 3 times since then and don't look look so tiny anymore.

I'm actually thinking of re-housing them into 2 or 4 oz deli cups now that you mention it.

I'm very excited for this species. I can't wait to see them mature because I love their wackiness and apparent teleportation powers.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm actually thinking of re-housing them into 2 or 4 oz deli cups now that you mention it.

I'm very excited for this species. I can't wait to see them mature because I love their wackiness and apparent teleportation powers.
Let us know how it goes. Good luck. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thornton Vials are best. All you need are a few holes in the white lid, nothing else for vent.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Last edited: