Enclosure size for Psalmopoeus irminia and cambridgei

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yup! Fast spiders amaze and fascinate me, I’m excited for it to be honest! Doesn’t bother me
irminia are photosensitive more than the others, more secretive etc. also, more nervous.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would you suggest other species over irminia for those specific reasons?
Depends- are you fine seeing your irminia once a month etc? I'm exaggerating a bit. They are the most pretty of the Psalmos to me- well only the females are- the males are ugly.

I have had a female P. pulcher- out WAY more.

And P cambrid.-- never owned, but they are the largest and def out a lot. Personally not for me because the orange isn't as striking as the Venezuelan Sun Tiger (coolest common name ever hah)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Depends- are you fine seeing your irminia once a month etc? I'm exaggerating a bit. They are the most pretty of the Psalmos to me- well only the females are- the males are ugly.

I have had a female P. pulcher- out WAY more.

And P cambrid.-- never owned, but they are the largest and def out a lot. Personally not for me because the orange isn't as striking as the Venezuelan Sun Tiger (coolest common name ever hah)
Yeah I think that is something to think about, but I agree only the female irminia are really the good looking ones. I have a local person selling both irminia and cambridgei they just sold out of pulcher.
The irminia’s are only about .5in at most 1in bigger then the cambridgei but $25 more expensive so I’m not sure if it’s even worth it. Personally I really love the look of the cambridgei and the adult sizes as well plus the visibility habits

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I think that is something to think about, but I agree only the female irminia are really the good looking ones. I have a local person selling both irminia and cambridgei they just sold out of pulcher.
The irminia’s are only about .5in at most 1in bigger then the cambridgei but $25 more expensive so I’m not sure if it’s even worth it. Personally I really love the look of the cambridgei and the adult sizes as well plus the visibility habits

25$ more-- not worth it. Irminia are always available and pretty inexpensive for such a pretty T. Even sexed females aren't that expensive for a FEMALE. The only reason I often slings is I like to learn the behavior of the individual I'm going to care for over the next 5-10 yrs, particularly the faster species.But, for irminia, I might get a female at some point.

Good luck

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
25$ more-- not worth it. Irminia are always available and pretty inexpensive for such a pretty T

Good luck
Yeah when I got quoted it seemed really expensive for the size of irminia. $55 for a 1.5-2in sling

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Way over priced. who was that?
Nature’s exquisite creatures in San Antonio I like buying from local businesses, it’s what I did back in jersey. and they are local one town over from me. But I don’t plan on spending 55 for a sling of that size. Maybe it’s just one of another quarantine price gouges 🤣

Hey you guys do irminia and cambridgei slings look pretty similar? I got a deal on them today so I went and picked them up. They look really similar at this stage is that normal?, I googled it and they look similar but I don’t know if google is just pulling up pictures for psalmapoeus in general.

@viper69 is this too big of an enclosure for this cambridgei?
5F7E0A81-E4FD-49AA-83F2-6DC91AD3577A.jpeg

cold blood

Staff member
I laugh at the "have to have good visibility" comment with regards to deli cups...they have the same 360 degree visibility as any clear enclosure....sling enclosures are temporary, that's how I see them, for me its all about ease of use...I love deli cups. Its a big advantage to be able to only open small areas to seed by peeling back a small part of the top...I despise those rigid tops because you don't have as much control over the open spaces....but its all user preference and they work just fine for lots of people of course....just sayin', deli cups get a bad rap for how convenient, cheap and clear they are.

OP, you can go with pretty much anything and be fine...you could start them in 4oz condiment cups, 16oz deli (sized) or 32oz deli (sized) set ups and do just fine in each and every one of them...Psalmo's aren't picky about much.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I laugh at the "have to have good visibility" comment with regards to deli cups...they have the same 360 degree visibility as any clear enclosure....sling enclosures are temporary,
It’s totally not soo much about the visibility, I just kinda like having better looking enclosures even at sling sizes. Just preference. Plus my girl doesn’t like the deli up look, I keep everything out on display and she cares about that kinda stuff and prefers them be in little bit nicer enclosures. But don’t get me wrong delicups would be much easier and even cheaper!!!
Plus I don’t keep a whole lot so I don’t mind putting them in enclosures like this even at sling stage for the few I do keep.

OP, you can go with pretty much anything and be fine...you could start them in 4oz condiment cups, 16oz deli (sized) or 32oz deli (sized) set ups and do just fine in each and every one of them...Psalmo's aren't picky about much.
Okay awesome! I’ll pop this little guy in there tonight. Thanks man I was actually going to hit you up soon to see what you’ve been breeding and Have for sale

cold blood

Staff member
Hey you guys do irminia and cambridgei slings look pretty similar?
As slings, theyre virtually indistinguishable....as MMs they are simpliar...as adult females, they look markedly different.
But I don’t plan on spending 55 for a sling of that size.
I sell slings for between 8 and 12 bucks each when I have them...irminia are only slightly more....awesome species, especially cams (my favorites).....They are the greatest (or right up there) slings one could ask to raise.....just fantastic...fast growers, excellent hunters, amazing growth per molt, and can be pretty active....irminia is the most reclusive in the genus, and frankly, as they grow it gets worse...they may just be the most reclusive species I have ever seen....but do they look great when you see them,.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
As slings, theyre virtually indistinguishable....as MMs they are simpliar...as adult females, they look markedly different.

I sell slings for between 8 and 12 bucks each when I have them...irminia are only slightly more....awesome species, especially cams (my favorites).....They are the greatest (or right up there) slings one could ask to raise.....just fantastic...fast growers, excellent hunters, amazing growth per molt, and can be pretty active....irminia is the most reclusive in the genus, and frankly, as they grow it gets worse...they may just be the most reclusive species I have ever seen....but do they look great when you see them,.
Okay awesome! Thanks for the clarity on their looks!! I was taking a closer look at them and was like wow they are almost looking the same.
I sell slings for between 8 and 12 bucks each when I have them...irminia are only slightly more....awesome species, especially cams
Well if I really like raising my cam, I will definitely be contacting you! Just from what you are saying about them sounds like that day will definitely come when I get at least one more sling to raise. So if you remember let me know!

I have to say so far I am amazed and in love with the speed of both of them the cam and the irminia. Fast spiders are just the best! Watching the irminia do laps around the enclosure when I transferred it in was just amazing!!

@cold blood I felt bad for them they both had bone dry substrate and only about half an inch of it to burrow or make dirt curtains with.

But yeah I just put that cambridgei into its enclosure and he is extremely active, exploring the whole thing

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay I’m actually headed to the container store right now lol so I’ll get some with low profile lids for the new enclosures. I’ve got the bark.

Anything else I should keep I mind when keeping these species?
They are fast that's it, and water dishes too.

cold blood

Staff member
@cold blood I felt bad for them they both had bone dry substrate and only about half an inch of it to burrow or make dirt curtains with.

But yeah I just put that cambridgei into its enclosure and he is extremely active, exploring the whole thing
They're actually very drought tolerant and can handle a wide range of husbandry...one of the things that make them such a good learning tool.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
They're actually very drought tolerant and can handle a wide range of husbandry...one of the things that make them such a good learning tool.
This is good to know all I was reading was they needed damp substrate, but I will feel much better knowing they’ll adapt if things don’t always stay exactly the same

Well the cambridgei overnight has dug it’s self a little burrow with a Messy dirt curtain entrance and the irminia has began to web the area behind the bark.

@cold blood @viper69 how will these slings molt? will they molt out in the open? or in a burrow as slings? or up in a "nest" of some sorts?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
usually behind dirt curtains
okay cool I just wanted to know what I should look out for, the irminia just starting digging a burrow behind the bark, and wasnt sure if I should expect it to molt in there or not.

cold blood

Staff member
okay cool I just wanted to know what I should look out for, the irminia just starting digging a burrow behind the bark, and wasnt sure if I should expect it to molt in there or not.
yep, that will be the place