Enclosure size for jumping spider...

AlexVevo

Arachnopeon
I have a Phidippus Regius that is the size of a penny and I'm wondering if a 4x4x8 enclosure is big enough for her?

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have a Phidippus Regius that is the size of a penny and I'm wondering if a 4x4x8 enclosure is big enough for her?
When I kept Phidippus regius I used 20cm square tubs. Jumpers like to have a wander.

Pepper

Arachnosquire
Yeah i think you should go for a lot bigger enclosure, like a ten gallon or something that size. Alternately you could take it out to play every single day (risky) or just let it go in your house to clean up the fruit flies cause i rarely do dishes ;)

Jadestone

Arachnosquire
I keep my slings in 32oz deli cups with some fake plant decor. Once they get bigger I put them in Kritter Keepers.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
I keep my slings in 32oz deli cups with some fake plant decor. Once they get bigger I put them in Kritter Keepers.
I think a Jumper needs something a bit more vertically oriented than a Kritter Keeper but if it works then it works.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
I think it should be big enough as long as you give her plenty of climbing surfaces and places to hide. But if she gets bigger I would consider something taller.

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Whatever enclosure you get, be very careful when you close the lid. It's better to slide it over carefully, at least being very careful when you close it, and keep an eye on the spider.

A member on here had an accident where the little Hoppy jumped just when he closed the lid and Hoppy was cut in half. :bigtears:

Cororon

Arachnoknight
That was me :sad: I’m still having flashbacks
I have flashbacks as well, and I only read your post. :sad:

The human empathy is mostly a good thing, but it's also a struggle of keeping a balanced mind. Empathy helps us learn by experience in a social context. Too much or too little of it and we can't function normally.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
I have flashbacks as well, and I only read your post. :sad:

The human empathy is mostly a good thing, but it's also a struggle of keeping a balanced mind. Empathy helps us learn by experience in a social context. Too much or too little of it and we can't function normally.
A similar incident happened once before but the jumper survived and I learned my lesson but when that same jumper died of unrelated causes I forgot about the previous lesson and focused on making sure no one else died in the same way. Then it happened a again with the sling.

Cororon

Arachnoknight
A similar incident happened once before but the jumper survived and I learned my lesson but when that same jumper died of unrelated causes I forgot about the previous lesson and focused on making sure no one else died in the same way. Then it happened a again with the sling.
Maybe a bigger enclosure would be better, then. But that's not always feasible, like when separating slings.

I guess we can't do better than be careful and learn. And think positive. In nature some spiders will always be harmed and killed by predators, after all. Not to mention cannibalism.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Maybe a bigger enclosure would be better, then. But that's not always feasible, like when separating slings.

I guess we can't do better than be careful and learn. And think positive. In nature some spiders will always be harmed and killed by predators, after all. Not to mention cannibalism.
It is just worse when you know there was something you could have done to prevent it.

Cororon

Arachnoknight
It is just worse when you know there was something you could have done to prevent it.
I know. I remember the last spider I killed on purpose back when I was on my way to cure my arachnophobia. It was a little brown crab spider, and it raised its front legs to protect itself just before I squished it. It makes me sad even now, years later. These little crabbies are just as sweet as jumping spiders, just less active. Now I'm trying to make up for my mistakes.