Enclosure setup for Nhandu Chromatus?

sergiom

Arachnopeon
IMG_3645.JPG Hi All,

I haven't even had my 1st ever Tarantula (Brachypelma Vagan) for 2 weeks and I already have my 2nd one on its way a Nhandu Chromatus.
I was pretty fortunate to experience a Molt within the 1st 2 days of owning the Vagan. :)

Attached is a pic of the new enclosure for the Nhandu Chromatus, I have the same setup for the Brachypelma Vagan and its seems to be pretty happy in there.

Do you guys suggest I change the setup for the Nhandu Chromatus or try it out and see how it settles in & adapts to its new home ?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I like to minimize hard things such as rocks in the enclosure. If a T falls onto something hard from the lid or high up on the side, splat. Ruptured abdomen. Done. Also, they can give prey more cracks to hide in where the T can't reach it.

Anything more than substrate, hide, and a water dish is only for your pleasure. The T doesn't care.

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Oh jeez. Get those rocks out of there. But aside from that, everything looks totally fine. The plants look very nice and I like that hide.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yep, kill the rocks. Or at least take some out - there isn't anywhere for the tarantula to just spread out and relax. They're not like lizards that enjoy basking on a warm rock.

boina

Lady of the mites
Well those rocks... my N. chromatus at least likes to dig a bit. Assume your tarantula digs under a rock, rock shifts, squishes T --> dead T. Take at least the larger rocks out.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I agree with everyone else on the rock issue. I only put the basics in my setups: substrate, cork bark, water dish and every single tarantula is comfortably spread out right now.

Pmuticus704

Arachnopeon
May big female is a climber so I really have very few objects in her cage so if she falls she will not be injured. Just have to see how your Nandu behaves.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Is that enclosure an Exo Terra? Those are generally more suitable for arboreal types of species rather than terrestrial. Everyone else covered the rock issue so there's no need for me to continue the repetitiveness. Def give it a good amount of substrate to dig/burrow. How big is the tarantula you are getting?

sergiom

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the advice guys I've removed the rocks. My N,Chromatus has really settled in well.
It loves the hide, I had about 2-3cm substrate under the hide and its dug it all out.
@ goodlukwitthat the T I got is about 6-8cm,no it not an ExoTerra one its one that the local pet shop stocks (no name brand).
I must say its def got an good appetite I fed it 2 medium roaches yesterday and gave it another one today :) People weren't joking when they said they have a good appetite :). that

cold blood

Staff member
@ goodlukwitthat the T I got is about 6-8cm,no it not an ExoTerra one its one that the local pet shop stocks (no name brand).
I must say its def got an good appetite I fed it 2 medium roaches yesterday and gave it another one today :) People weren't joking when they said they have a good appetite :). that
Does it have front opening doors? The brand matters not, its the style that's the issue.

And its vagans...with an s;)