Enclosure recommendations?

CyborgVulture

Arachnopeon
I'm almost ready to rehouse my B. albopilosum, but I'm having some issues choosing an enclosure upgrade that will be safe and good for her size. I was wondering if you guys would have any recommendations for a safe, secure enclosure for a juvenile tarantula (I'd say she's around 3 inches) without any kind of mesh lid/accessories! I've heard they can chew through mesh or get hurt from it-- she'd most likely target it, so I'd like to avoid that material if possible.

Thanks!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AO27TDY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll need to drill or melt some air holes, but it's a nice container for that size T and would probably last through a couple of molts. The only thing to be aware of is that the lid flips open on a hinge, so you'll need to make the end away from the hinge secure to prevent a potential escape. There are a few ways to do it...books on top, drilling holes in the lid and end and putting some kind of loop in there to keep it from opening, or my solution - gaffer tape. It holds strong, leaves no residue, and the same piece can be undone and re-fastened a zillion times.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/20008-REG/General_Brand_Gaffer_Cloth_Tape.html

If you're less concerned about having an acrylic display enclosure, something like a plastic shoebox from Lowe's/Home Depot/Wal-mart will work fine too. It's easy and cheap, but the downside is that you have to take the lid off to see the T.

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Hey there, I would use an exo-terra breeding box, if that's what what your looking for, all plastic, with flip lid, google search them, you get a good range of sizes at a good price, but if you want to go down the DIY route, I would suggest a display case from Hobby Lobby, easily changed to your requirements, drill vent holes etc, they make lovely enclosures at a great price and a little creativity, for the exo terra I've added a link herehttps://www.amazon.com/Small-Angled-Ventilation-Slits-Breeding/dp/B01CK86T6I/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1496734161&sr=1-2&keywords=exo+-+terra+breeding+box.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I can confirm those enclosures @nicodimus22 recommends. They're great. Minimal, clear, and stack well with the containers of that brand.

In addition to the air holes, I added some clear hasps to allow for easy transport:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Critter Keepers work well also. Another thing, every B albo I've ever had was a big earth mover. A little extra floor space isn't going too bad either.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I like the breeding boxes as well. I currently have 4 of them. A neat little feature is the side window on the lid. You can access for feeding and watering through that window without needing to unstack your enclosures. There was obviously good thought that went into the design of these things. And the prices are surprisingly reasonable.