Enclosure Question for 3 inch Psalmopoeus irminia

Avery579

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
Just want ya'lls opinion on something. Would a 12x12x18 enclosure just be way too big for a 3inch Psalmopoeus Irminia? My thought process was, put it in its adult enclosure and not have to rehouse it. I don't have the Irminia yet, but wanted some people's opinions on it. Thanks!

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Just want ya'lls opinion on something. Would a 12x12x18 enclosure just be way too big for a 3inch Psalmopoeus Irminia? My thought process was, put it in its adult enclosure and not have to rehouse it. I don't have the Irminia yet, but wanted some people's opinions on it. Thanks!
Yes way too big. I have my 6 inch P. irminia in Exo Terra 8x8x12 and it's a perfect fit.

If, underlined, my irminia reaches 7 inches dls I have it's next enclosure waiting. That one is a 12x12x18 Exo Terra but it looks a tad big even for a 7 inch dls arboreal.

A 10x10x24 would of been better if it reaches 7 but I can't find those dimensions in an enclosure.

Avery579

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I was honestly thinking it was too big. Even a 8x8x12 sounds too big for a 3 inch irminia, so my thinking seems to be correct in starting off in something like a 6x6x8 and just moving up to an 8x8x12 once needed.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Yeah I was honestly thinking it was too big. Even a 8x8x12 sounds too big for a 3 inch irminia, so my thinking seems to be correct in starting off in something like a 6x6x8 and just moving up to an 8x8x12 once needed.
No you are on track with an irminia. When mine hit 3 or 3.5 inches dls that's when I rehoused it into the 8x8x12.

From 1.5 inch, (size I got mine) to 5 inches was quite a quick growth rate. So 8x8x12 might seem like too big it'll grow into it rather quick.

8x8x12 is really not a huge enclosure for arboreals.

Also it's common for some keepers to rehouse their irminia when smaller into their adult enclosure. This is for a couple reasons they are fast and can be bold and defensive.

Keepers unaccustomed to fast defensive arboreal T's usually will rehouse them into an adult enclosure early to limit the rehouses with them.

Last edited:

Avery579

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
No you are on track with an irminia. When mine hit 3 or 3.5 inches dls that's when I rehoused it into the 8x8x12.

From 1.5 inch, (size I got mine) to 5 inches was quite a quick growth rate. So 8x8x12 might seem like too big it'll grow into it rather quick.

8x8x12 is really not a huge enclosure for arboreals.

Also it's common for some keepers to rehouse their irminia when smaller into their adult enclosure. This is for a couple reasons they are fast and can be bold and defensive.

Keepers unaccustomed to fast defensive arboreal T's usually will rehouse them into an adult enclosure early to limit the rehouses with them.
OK nice! Thanks for the info.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
OK nice! Thanks for the info.
You're very welcome.

I do love my irminia very much. It's such a beautiful T with the jet black and tiger stripes on the abdomen to the orange lightning bolts on it's legs, (and those aren't for nothing).

Out of all my T's this one amuses me the most. The way it's always chilling at the top of it's round corkbark hide.

If you could put a beer in one of it's front legs the image would be perfect.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
In general, Psalmos are excellent, active hunters, so larger enclosures aren't detrimental the same way they may be for species that prefer to sit and wait for prey to stumble into them.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have my 3.5" irminia in an 8x8x12 and it's great. Particularly once she "moved in" and set up her web fortress in one corner, she hasn't been defensive at all. She does walk around and explore the whole enclosure, and hunt down food when she's hungry. And if I accidentally startle her, she bolts for her web tunnel rather than throwing any kind of threat pose like she did in the sad pet store bin.

PXL_20230219_211541354.jpg

My 1.5" irminia sling is in a 6x6x9. A little more prone to just hiding in its fortress, but pretty reasonable:
PXL_20230308_014629454.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
is it really bigger than it needs to be at that size? Yes. But if it’s decorated properly it could probably work if it needed to be, but that being said you could avoid all that by going into an 8x8x12 enclosure or a 8x10x15 like k have been using.