Enclosure pic--aesthetically pleasing look

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We did this sort of by accident. We mix our substrate about 70/30, sphagnum peat/vermiculite. We also put a layer of vermiculite under the mixture, this creates a "drainage" layer for water run-off, misting, etc. The vermiculite layer helps maintain humidity when necessary by allowing evaporation to slowly leach to the surface (of course in Florida it isn't as necessary as often). It works quite well for us and we noticed something we did when we started to press down the top layer of substrate, it created a "scalloped" edge around the glass-facing sides of the tank. It looks nice. Just thought this might give ideas to some other people who set some of their T's up for visual display.

Attachments

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good work! Never thought of that!

Pretty setup - you should be proud of it!

LCDXX

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Our Greenbottle blue, Mimi, lives in there and she knows that the entire enclosure is hers. If you want to see more pics of the Greenbottle enclosure and T look at our post "Gravid Greenbottle???" For a Greenbottle she is OK with some contact but not with being handled.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
does she live in the cinder block, under the card board, or both?

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's no cardboard, I think you may be referring to the reflection of light off the wall behind her enclosure. Our walls in the spider room are painted a Terr Cotta colour. The "cinder block" is actually a type of shelter I make for Exotic Pets. I do sell them and everyone is different. I make them small enough for mini KritterKeepers and big enough for 10 g tanks. Check out some of our other postings to see other shapes of the shelters. Every single T we introduce to these shelters takes right to them. Here's another pic of one of our T's in their burrow also if you want we have a web page with pictures of other shelter I've made: http://www.geocities.com/tarantulakeepers/ . Here's the pic--

Attachments