Enclosure mold

Kira

Arachnopeon
I'm new to tarantulas. I lack the tricks of the trade at the moment.
I was wondering how I avoid mold in an enclosure? I found some in my t's enclosure the other day. There's coco fiber in his enclosure. Is there something better? I currently have two they're a gbb sling and a B. Albopilosum.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Both of those (when they are older) do really well on dryer substrate (coco fiber is fine) with a water dish. If you keep the substrate dry and the left over prey/bolus cleaned up you shouldn't have to much trouble with mold.

As slings I keep them on lightly moist substrate (not too wet) and keep the prey items cleaned up. Check that you have adequate ventilation in the enclosure. I've not had much trouble with mold with my slings.

If you post a photo we might be able to tell you if the enclosure is vented enough. Good luck.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Coco fiber is what most people use. Usually, mold is caused by too much sustained moisture. The trick I use for slings is to moisten one side only. Let that side dry out completely, and moisten the other side. Keep that routine going. This way, the mold won't get a chance to grow.

If the mold is on the surface, you can pick it out to minimize spore dispersal.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Both of those (when they are older) do really well on dryer substrate (coco fiber is fine) with a water dish. If you keep the substrate dry and the left over prey/bolus cleaned up you shouldn't have to much trouble with mold.

As slings I keep them on lightly moist substrate (not too wet) and keep the prey items cleaned up. Check that you have adequate ventilation in the enclosure. I've not had much trouble with mold with my slings.

If you post a photo we might be able to tell you if the enclosure is vented enough. Good luck.
Agreed! Ventilation is extremely important.

Kira

Arachnopeon
They're both in what they came in. Don't judge my makeshift hide. I didn't have much option. Pointers for enclosures would also be greatly appreciated.
(Perfumes are not sprayed in there. They're just kept in there when they're not ones I use. When they are used, they don't go back into that room.)

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Those are great Ts -- I have them both also.

if you have adult Ts (or Ts at least 2") -- mould is cured by simply letting enclosure dry out. For your two species, a water bowl is all that's needed.
If you have small slings -- then you've already received good advice to just let one section be moist at a time (it's a balance: slings don't dessicate but mould growth isn't encouraged either).
And ventilation makes a big difference! Damp is fine but if an area always remains damp... you risk mould. (In small enough amounts, mould isn't the end of the world and generally won't harm a sling -- but still, not ideal). You can also wipe out small amounts of mould with a paper towel or something (but know -- millions of mould spores will still remain).
Good luck!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
They're both in what they came in. Don't judge my makeshift hide. I didn't have much option. Pointers for enclosures would also be greatly appreciated.
(Perfumes are not sprayed in there. They're just kept in there when they're not ones I use. When they are used, they don't go back into that room.)
Both of those are large enough to be on dry substrate with a water dish. Keep an eye out for leftover food pieces. That should fix any mold issues you may have.

Good luck. :)

Kira

Arachnopeon
Even with the gbb being as small as he is? What size water dish?
Both of those are large enough to be on dry substrate with a water dish. Keep an eye out for leftover food pieces. That should fix any mold issues you may have.

Good luck. :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd add about 3" more sub to that B albopilosum cage and get rid of that paper box. That's where your mold issues are coming from most like. I'd pick nothing over that box, it looks young enough to still want to burrow too. That's what I let my younger albopilosum s do.
Can't see anything in the other cage.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Even with the gbb being as small as he is? What size water dish?
How long is he from the tip front leg to the back leg? Maybe I was looking at him wrong.

I'd use a gatorade bottle cap for them if room is limited or a 2/4oz condiment cup if it's not.

Kira

Arachnopeon
I'd add about 3" more sub to that B albopilosum cage and get rid of that paper box. That's where your mold issues are coming from most like. I'd pick nothing over that box, it looks young enough to still want to burrow too. That's what I let my younger albopilosum s do.
Can't see anything in the other cage.
Done deal. Thank you.

Kira

Arachnopeon
How long is he from the tip front leg to the back leg? Maybe I was looking at him wrong.

I'd use a gatorade bottle cap for them if room is limited or a 2/4oz condiment cup if it's not.
He's still very tiny. I'm not sure of his size. I'd say 2 1/2 inches.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
2.5" is leaning towards juvenile stage and may be a little big for that cup.

I have one about that size and I keep it in a veggie container like this:

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dampness does not cause mold, prey items and organic material in addition to dampness do, assuming enclosure has good ventilation

Leila

Arachnobaron
Is my AF B. albo an odd ball then?

She seriously hovers over her water dish when I do not keep an opposite corner of her sub slightly damp. Even when I do keep a corner damp (about 2 thimbles full of water down one corner of her enclosure,) she is prone to hanging out in the damp spot or beside the water dish.

I keep her substrate totally dry besides that...but my gal is a fan of a teensy teensy bit of moisture (besides just the dry sub + water dish combo.)

Just relaying my personal experience here ;) Have none of you witnessed this sort of thing? I see everyone saying 'dry sub' for albos...

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They both would benefit from larger Enclosures. You can usually get Rubbermaid containers or similar products for very cheap.

Kira

Arachnopeon
They both would benefit from larger Enclosures. You can usually get Rubbermaid containers or similar products for very cheap.
Thank you. I was planning on re housing my B. Albopulosum Friday. But, I will re home my gbb as well.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
He's still very tiny. I'm not sure of his size. I'd say 2 1/2 inches.
I give anything over 1" a water dish, they won't drown.

She seriously hovers over her water dish when I do not keep an opposite corner of her sub slightly damp. Even when I do keep a corner damp (about 2 thimbles full of water down one corner of her enclosure,) she is prone to hanging out in the damp spot or beside the water dish.

I keep her substrate totally dry besides that...but my gal is a fan of a teensy teensy bit of moisture (besides just the dry sub + water dish combo.)

Just relaying my personal experience here ;) Have none of you witnessed this sort of thing? I see everyone saying 'dry sub' for albos...
Mine is the same, she wouldn't even burrow until I moistened the substrate near the back of her hide, I think it's a common misconception that they require "bone dry" substrate, probably easier to just tell newbies to keep them dry though.

Kira

Arachnopeon

I've just noticed my guy does that too, hovers over the water dish.
Also, does the substrate need to be a bit wet for them to burrow?