Enclosure Modification for Slings (C. Versicolor and B. Albopilosum)

pbenner

Arachnosquire
https://www.containerstore.com/s/gift-packaging/gift-boxes/clear-amac-boxes/12d?productId=10003497

Team,

Please see the above link. I searched through a few pages and did not find these referenced. I'm almost positive that these are the containers that are being sold with modification commercially for slings.

The reason for my questions is this; My GF has expressed a desire to get yet another Tarantula species for outr growing collection. After digging and searching, I want to get a few C. Versicolor slings for her/us as a Christmas present. I would be purchasing the enclosures now and shipping them to my office, and then setting them up for Slings with the intention of ordering 4 or so Slings. I'd like to have enclosures to get them through at least their first year as part of her gift so she doesn't have to worry about them otherwise.

How would you modify these to be safe for Arboreals? Some tiny ventilation holes is good, I've got a 3/32" bit that I use for other projects that might do it, but don't have an issues getting a 1/16" bit if better.

Then it's just substrate, a small piece of cork and a few fake leaves, yes?

Also, I'm looking at these as maybe a better option for my other Slings too, would you see an issue going this route? These look like they'd be very nice for a shelf setup...

Thanks in advance! This forum has been awesome to me!

Lmarie

Arachnopeon
My C. Versi is in something similar to that as well. I just put the substrate in the smaller half so that she can web the top half without me ruining her webbing every time I open the enclosure. Also, I heated up a safety pin and burned air holes on each side for cross ventilation.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
https://www.containerstore.com/s/gift-packaging/gift-boxes/clear-amac-boxes/12d?productId=10003497

Team,

Please see the above link. I searched through a few pages and did not find these referenced. I'm almost positive that these are the containers that are being sold with modification commercially for slings.

The reason for my questions is this; My GF has expressed a desire to get yet another Tarantula species for outr growing collection. After digging and searching, I want to get a few C. Versicolor slings for her/us as a Christmas present. I would be purchasing the enclosures now and shipping them to my office, and then setting them up for Slings with the intention of ordering 4 or so Slings. I'd like to have enclosures to get them through at least their first year as part of her gift so she doesn't have to worry about them otherwise.

How would you modify these to be safe for Arboreals? Some tiny ventilation holes is good, I've got a 3/32" bit that I use for other projects that might do it, but don't have an issues getting a 1/16" bit if better.

Then it's just substrate, a small piece of cork and a few fake leaves, yes?

Also, I'm looking at these as maybe a better option for my other Slings too, would you see an issue going this route? These look like they'd be very nice for a shelf setup...

Thanks in advance! This forum has been awesome to me!
AMAC makes the boxes, I know one of the manager's there. They know Jamie's. Plus I think the boxes read AMAC on the bottom.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I have one of those too. Mine is a bit too big, but I think she's doing OK so I haven't rehoused her. The smallest one would have been better.

20190924_200951.jpg

pbenner

Arachnosquire
Hi Team,

Based on all the feedback here, I am going this direction. I am thinking of ordering:

Arboreal Setups:
(Intention on 4 C. Versicolor Slings + have extra for a future impulse buy)
(6) 2 5/16" square by 4 3/16" tall
(6) 4" square by 7 1/4" tall

Terrestrial Setups:
(Intention to re-house my B. Albopilosum Slings (4), and acquire (4) G. Pulchripes and (2) G. Pulchra Slings + future impulse buys)
(12) 2 5/16" square by 3 1/16" tall
(12) 4" square by 5 1/16" tall

I'm tempted to order more "extras" but I think a pair of each type of enclosure extra will be enough temptation when we attend reptile shows coming up. I've got a brick of Eco Earth at home ready to get hydrated.

Again much thanks and love to the helpful. You're wonderful!

Paul

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi Team,

Based on all the feedback here, I am going this direction. I am thinking of ordering:

Arboreal Setups:
(Intention on 4 C. Versicolor Slings + have extra for a future impulse buy)
(6) 2 5/16" square by 4 3/16" tall
(6) 4" square by 7 1/4" tall

Terrestrial Setups:
(Intention to re-house my B. Albopilosum Slings (4), and acquire (4) G. Pulchripes and (2) G. Pulchra Slings + future impulse buys)

I'm tempted to order more "extras" but I think a pair of each type of enclosure extra will be enough temptation when we attend reptile shows coming up. I've got a brick of Eco Earth at home ready to get hydrated.

Again much thanks and love to the helpful. You're wonderful!

Paul

If these are your first Ts, you MIGHT just want to see if you are capable of raising them successfully, and actually enjoy them before getting more. We see tons of people lose interest, only the animals suffers, the human animals don't give a crap.

pbenner

Arachnosquire
If these are your first Ts, you MIGHT just want to see if you are capable of raising them successfully, and actually enjoy them before getting more. We see tons of people lose interest, only the animals suffers, the human animals don't give a crap.
Hi bud!

I 100% understand where you're coming from. I'm not the type to fall out of liking something and have had animals in my care most of my life. I started a Dubia colony 8 months ago with the intention of being able to feed multiple spiders so here I am.

I've got a whole room of my house dedicated to animals at the moment. I've got 16 ball Pythons and raise all the rats that they eat in house. I've also got Mealworms, Wax Worms, Super Worms and Madagascar Hissers.

The ultimate goal behind getting multiples was to insure that we got at least one female to have as a long term pet. Eventually seeing babies might be cool but we are a long way from that.

Best,

Paul

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Terrestrial Setups:
I have (well, had) slings in both of these sizes. The smallest one makes me just a little uncomfortable because from the opening to the top of the box is quite tall for my littlest terrestrial baby (1/2" B. smithi). I was going to rehouse, but she seems to have settled in fine and doesn't climb so I'm going to just keep an eye on her. The larger ones worked perfect for my 1.5" GBB and my 1" G. pulchra. I thought they were a little too big, but both molted twice pretty quickly and now they've both been rehoused because they outgrew it.

And I have extras too "just in case." We have two expos coming up in November and I have housing and decorations for ANY size T. lol I just don't have enough substrate, but there's no shortage of that at expos.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I've used those, they are what Jamie's Tarantulas sells with the round vent placed on them. I just use a soldering iron to make a bunch of ventilation holes, easier than a drill.