Enclosure lid

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Here's a photo of my AF C. paganus's enclosure. No holes in the top, just on the sides. A lot of holes aren't really necessary, just enough for an air exchange. Keep them above the sub and small enough that the feeders can't escape. Too many and you'll be drying out the substrate quickly. Once a month I'll add around 6-8 ounces of water to each enclosure.
Welcome to fossorial T keeping.
Wait that's all the holes you needed? This is what I did
So.....you got another tub available? :banghead:
why did I mess up?

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Take a look at Red Eunice's tub pic...that's exactly how it should have been done.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
are you joking?
what part of "holes above sub level" dont you get ?you literally did the opposite. you need a new tub now, that ones wrecked.
Look I had people tell me different stuff and it got really confusing

Last edited:

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
we're telling you the same thing over and over. ;)
holes in the side, putting holes above the sub level is just common sense.
I had some tell me put way more holes so that's what I did and now it's messed up. I'll get a new tub but that was completely confusing to me. I didn't see anyone's post till after I did it

Last edited:

Kayis

Arachnopeon
we're telling you the same thing over and over. ;)
holes in the side, putting holes above the sub level is just common sense.
I assumed it was "common sense" as well to not slap the holes where substrate was. My apologies to the tub:sorry:.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Okay what do you think about this?
Euhm...are you poking holes in there while the spider is already in there? It seems as though i see a very angry spider sitting on top of the substrate....

Don't strain your back. I'd leave it be for now, make sure she has water, buy a new tub after christmas, and start over.
Holes placement:
__________________0
Line is top of the substrate, 0 is where the holes should be.
Tamp the substrate firm, keep it moist but not soaking. Start a hole for burrowing, add a waterdish. Make sure everything is good, THEN rehouse the C.lividus. This rehouse could be easier since you probably won't have to dig her out, but she'll be even more pissed off at you, so be prepared. If you feel she is too defensive to rehouse, quit and try the next day.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Nope. I don't know who to listen to because everyone keeps telling me different shit
Slow down and take a deep breath!
Look at the photo I posted, enlarge it, and mimic it. Doesn't need to be as large a tub that I used, she's full grown.
Cyriopagopus require moist substrate to be comfortable. Deep enough to feel secure. I keep 17 fossorial species, spanning 10+ years, take my advice.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Slow down and take a deep breath!
Look at the photo I posted, enlarge it, and mimic it. Doesn't need to be as large a tub that I used, she's full grown.
Cyriopagopus require moist substrate to be comfortable. Deep enough to feel secure. I keep 17 fossorial species, spanning 10+ years, take my advice.
I am man. I really just did what I did because I saw a bunch of different posts and it really confused me:/

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Euhm...are you poking holes in there while the spider is already in there? It seems as though i see a very angry spider sitting on top of the substrate....

Don't strain your back. I'd leave it be for now, make sure she has water, buy a new tub after christmas, and start over.
Holes placement:
__________________0
Line is top of the substrate, 0 is where the holes should be.
Tamp the substrate firm, keep it moist but not soaking. Start a hole for burrowing, add a waterdish. Make sure everything is good, THEN rehouse the C.lividus. This rehouse could be easier since you probably won't have to dig her out, but she'll be even more pissed off at you, so be prepared. If you feel she is too defensive to rehouse, quit and try the next day.
If I get bit I probably deserve it

cold blood

Staff member
I'm going to. I had to take a break because it was hurting my back when I sat in an awkward position and that alone took 30 minutes just to do that many. I fractured my back recently from a motorcycle wreck. It's not that I'm lazy, I'm just pretty weak right now
Work smarter, not harder. Use a drill, you will literally be done start to finish in under 60 sec.
If I get bit I probably deserve it
Bad way of looking at it...just be smart....thetes no reason to be in danger of a bite if you are smart about things...in 16 years im still waiting on my first close call.

As said, ventilation should be on 5he sides, above the sub level....holes on the top just cause things to dry fast. Add a secpnd ring of holes.

Judging by this confusion, im assumming youre pretty new....this is an advanced species that ONLY belongs in the hands of advanced keepers....you could have made 200 significantly better nw choices....the choice you made in species was imo, an awful one in every respect.

My advice is to sell it and get a NW species thats not over your head.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Work smarter, not harder. Use a drill, you will literally be done start to finish in under 60 sec.

Bad way of looking at it...just be smart....thetes no reason to be in danger of a bite if you are smart about things...in 16 years im still waiting on my first close call.

As said, ventilation should be on 5he sides, above the sub level....holes on the top just cause things to dry fast. Add a secpnd ring of holes.

Judging by this confusion, im assumming youre pretty new....this is an advanced species that ONLY belongs in the hands of advanced keepers....you could have made 200 significantly better nw choices....the choice you made in species was imo, an awful one in every respect.

My advice is to sell it and get a NW species thats not over your head.
I've already tried really hard to get the enclosure right with this species and I have just this morning. When I rehoused him it went smoothly because I put a lot of thought into it. I'll learn from any mistakes I make and compared to what I went through yesterday today went great.

Attachments