Enclosure ideas for centipedes

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
I like acrylic because it allows for holes to be drillen, plastic can do that but just doesn't look as nice. Glass is fine but the enclosures usually have mesh as ventilation which can cause T's to get their tarsal claws stuck in them.

Brandon smith

Arachnosquire
I like acrylic because it allows for holes to be drillen, plastic can do that but just doesn't look as nice. Glass is fine but the enclosures usually have mesh as ventilation which can cause T's to get their tarsal claws stuck in them.
I was leaning towards acrylic I'ma get some acrylic cubes tomorrow

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Acrylic all the way. Especially since most commercial ones tend to have a place for locks, making them by far the most escape proof enclosures. Glass works too, in a pinch. I would never use plastic. Acrylic is expensive, but 100% worth it in my experience.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
I prefer glass, nothing beats the visibility of a glass tank (imo). And I have acrylic enclosures for comparison, I still prefer glass. But for centipedes the key is escape proof vs glass or acrylic.

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
I prefer glass, nothing beats the visibility of a glass tank (imo). And I have acrylic enclosures for comparison, I still prefer glass. But for centipedes the key is escape proof vs glass or acrylic.
Agreed, I don't know why though I think T's and centipedes look so good in acrylics, probably just from everyone using them and it's kinda like the meta.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Looks aside, I do want to mention that with smaller centipedes, there is a risk of them being able to climb up the silicone edges of a glass aquarium/terrarium if present. I have not personally experienced this with the larger centipede species (they seem to have no interest in climbing up the silicone), but I have seen on YouTube videos of smaller, more spastic species being able to climb up the silicone, so please keep that in mind if you decide to go the glass route. If it's an exo-terra terrarium, then those don't have silicone edges (they are pretty good about keeping that out from the seams), but are usually better suited for larger species.
Zilla makes glass critter cages with a nice snap lock top which can be used as-is or can be modded to use an acrylic top. There are some creases of open spaces on that lid, but again it's not a problem for larger centipede species, but could be for smaller ones.
Thrive (PetSmart's brand) also makes a glass terrarium that's sealed very well, but the latch for the lid seems to be low-quality and can break easily (as I have experienced), but still works fine.

You may not have to worry about these things with an acrylic enclosure as it should be magnet sealed and usually does not have silicone edges (but they do cost more). Just some things to think about given the size of your specimens and how well you want to sleep at night.

Last edited: