Enclosure for new sling?

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Since I'm only used to dealing with more mature T's, what would be a great enclosure to house my new sling? I already know how to care for them, I just need some ideas on what to put them in.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Go to a craft store... they have different sized cubes for sale. They are cheap and sturdy. I love them for ground or tree dwellers.
Ill go snap some pics.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So here are the cubes......

Or try these if they are really small slings.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
talkenlate, you rock! i will go check those out at my local walmart ASAP. i hope they have them.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Check for salt and pepper shakers to, they are good for small slings and provide built in ventilation. I have all my pokie slings in those at the moment. They had a sale on them they were 56 cents each at the store how could I resist.:rolleyes:

wallmart should have tons of makeshift containers that could be used. (wallmart is evil though)

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've never been able to find those at Wal-Mart. Hobby Lobby has them, though. I also use powdered sugar shakers. The holes are already there and they screw shut. You can find the shakers at Wal-Mart.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
in the future, if i get an arboreal sling, should i include a piece of tree bark or something for it to climb on? even if it is housed in a small container like that?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya a piece of fake plant or a couple sticks should do the trick. They like to have something to web onto and climb on. Just cut them so they fit.

JenNJay

Arachnopeon
shakers

Too funny. We buy the Dollar General store out of all the salt and pepper shakers they have about once every couple of weeks or so. haha.. They sell them 2 for $1 and they work awesome for our slings.

We only have one of the powdered sugar shakers and have been looking for more of them but can't seem to find them anywhere. They are bigger than the salt and pepper shakers and work GREAT for larger slings.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also use the small cubes for my terrestrial slings. I buy them at Michael's craft store for about 1.79 each, then drill 4-5 tiny holes in the top for ventilation. They work very well for 3/4" to 1" slings. I also found some teeny little clay flower pots that I use for hides :p. I'll have to post a picture later on.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can use a little bottle of mayonnaise or something (perfectly clean) and make some holes in the lid, put the peat moss or vermiculite (60/40) and ready, dont forget the humidity. :razz:

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also use the small cubes for my terrestrial slings. I buy them at Michael's craft store for about 1.79 each, then drill 4-5 tiny holes in the top for ventilation. They work very well for 3/4" to 1" slings. I also found some teeny little clay flower pots that I use for hides :p. I'll have to post a picture later on.
I so wanna a see a pic of those little pots! How cute that must look!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can use a little bottle of mayonnaise or something (perfectly clean) and make some holes in the lid, put the peat moss or vermiculite (60/40) and ready, dont forget the humidity. :razz:
this is essentially what i ended up getting. something similar to the size of a mayo jar, but it was plastic. only 1.79 or something like that at walmart

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
in the future, if i get an arboreal sling, should i include a piece of tree bark or something for it to climb on? even if it is housed in a small container like that?
go to michaels they have them...this is how i use them for aboreals, I drill a hole in the center of the bottom and screw a peice of cork bark to it, then i make sure the bark doesnt extend past the rim, because i then turn it over so its suspended from the top. that way i can remove the top and sit it on a flat surface and do maintanence without having to worry about the T escaping. then the bottom half put some strate in there and a smaller rock or bark so crix can climb up to the other peice of bark and make for a happy T at diner time

Warren

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heres the kind of container i use for TR slings, i get them from Nightmarecreats but im pretty sure I Just bought the last of them that hes willing to let go...

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The smallest slings need really small enclosures. For 1/4 to 1/2 inch I would recommend something with a floor space of around 1 inch no more than 2. Film canisters work great. Then specimen (urine cups). Then Deli cups. Then small critter keepers.

Reason-When you drop in a cricket with will land really close to the sling and they will jump right on it.

Also they feel more secure with less open space around them.