Enclosure for C. versicolor

Budget Bio

Arachnopeon
I have a large sling/young juvenile C. versicolor that is unsexed. I would like to get her set up in a bio active enclosure. I was thinking about using the Exoterra mini tall that is 12x12x18 inches. Are there cheaper and more efficient enclosures that have similar dimensions as the Exo terra mini tall? And is a bio active setup a good idea for my C. versicolor?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I have a large sling/young juvenile C. versicolor that is unsexed. I would like to get her set up in a bio active enclosure. I was thinking about using the Exoterra mini tall that is 12x12x18 inches. Are there cheaper and more efficient enclosures that have similar dimensions as the Exo terra mini tall? And is a bio active setup a good idea for my C. versicolor?
the 12 x 12x18 might be too big for a juvie. FWIW I have kept an adult female in one of those for years with much success

Budget Bio

Arachnopeon
Ok. I have a nice cork color that would cover most of the enclosure. And I have a lot of plants that would cover up all the space making a lot of anchoring points for wedding and a plenty of hiding spots. What is a FWIW?

Hollow* webbing*

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Ok. I have a nice cork color that would cover most of the enclosure. And I have a lot of plants that would cover up all the space making a lot of anchoring points for wedding and a plenty of hiding spots. What is a FWIW?
For What it's Worth. Lots of plants and a crowded large enclosure means it could starve (it may never find the food) as there is too much space for a small spider, small prey which reduces their odds of meeting. I would start with something smaller and allow it to grow before putting it in an enclosure that big
something 4" x 4" x 8" +/-

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Enclosure size for a tarantula is highly dependent on how large it is. What's the leg span of this specimen? Its size will determine it's enclosure size needed for it.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I’m not sure
So you're unsure of the size of your specimen? Can you at least try to give an estimate on how large it is. Normally people would be able to know or give an estimate just looking at their specimens.

Budget Bio

Arachnopeon
For What it's Worth. Lots of plants and a crowded large enclosure means it could starve (it may never find the food) as there is too much space for a small spider, small prey which reduces their odds of meeting. I would start with something smaller and allow it to grow before putting it in an enclosure that big
something 4" x 4" x 8" +/-
I primarily tongue feed her. Either by dropping it into her web entrance or giving it to her directly. Her current enclosure is 6 1/2 inches tall 8 inches wide and 5 inches long. This is the enclosure I bought her in a few months months ago. I have a spare 5 gallon enclosure but I do not have a lid for it.

So you're unsure of the size of your specimen? Can you at least try to give an estimate on how large it is. Normally people would be able to know or give an estimate just looking at their specimens.
Ok maybe 3-3.5 inches then

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Ok maybe 3-3.5 inches then
that is more than a large sling then. Juvenile. So here are some of my arboreal. Smallest Container has a 3" +/- Avic Avic. (visible)
Outsides are the 12 x 12 x 18, left one has the AF Versicolor. Right as a 5" F P Rufilata. Medium Size Exoterra has a 4" P Regalis
Arboreals.jpg

Budget Bio

Arachnopeon
I primarily tongue feed her. Either by dropping it into her web entrance or giving it to her directly. Her current enclosure is 6 1/2 inches tall 8 inches wide and 5 inches long. This is the enclosure I bought her in a few months months ago. I have a spare 5 gallon enclosure but I do not have a lid for it.
that is more than a large sling then. Juvenile. So here are some of my arboreal. Smallest Container has a 3" +/- Avic Avic. (visible)
Outsides are the 12 x 12 x 18, left one has the AF Versicolor. Right as a 5" F P Rufilata. Medium Size Exoterra has a 4" P Regalis
View attachment 366941
Your enclosures are very nice. Thank you for send showing me this picture. Would the Exo Terra nano be more suitable? It is 8“ x 8“ x 12“ tall

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Your enclosures are very nice. Thank you for send showing me this picture. Would the Exo Terra nano be more suitable? It is 8“ x 8“ x 12“ tall
yes. I think that is what the medium size is. If you don't want that much $$ invested there are some that are 4 x 4 x 8 and 7 x 7 x 11 @ Jamies

Budget Bio

Arachnopeon
Thank you a so much for your help. I’m new in the hobby and still learning. I will get the exo terra mini. We that last for its whole life?

Jess S

Arachnobaron
For what it's worth, I don't think a bioactive setup should be attempted for a species like C versicolor, or even Avicularia, or Y. diversipes. Unless you are both very experienced with raising these species and maintaining bioactive setups.

Reason being, these are notoriously sensitive to humidity and poor ventilation and quickly die in humid, stuffy enclosures. To have a bioactive enclosure you will have plants, springtails, isopods that all need moisture to be added. Whereas you'll be safer keeping a C versi on dry substrate with a water dish.
I'm sure a very experienced keeper could pull this type of setup off, but for someone relatively new to keeping, I'd advise against it. There are too many things that can go wrong.

Budget Bio

Arachnopeon
For what it's worth, I don't think a bioactive setup should be attempted for a species like C versicolor, or even Avicularia, or Y. diversipes. Unless you are both very experienced with raising these species and maintaining bioactive setups.

Reason being, these are notoriously sensitive to humidity and poor ventilation and quickly die in humid, stuffy enclosures. To have a bioactive enclosure you will have plants, springtails, isopods that all need moisture to be added. Whereas you'll be safer keeping a C versi on dry substrate with a water dish.
I'm sure a very experienced keeper could pull this type of setup off, but for someone relatively new to keeping, I'd advise against it. There are too many things that can go wrong.
I am new to tarantulas but I’ve been doing bio active setups for awhile. I plan us a exo terra mini with a desktop fan on the top to add air flow.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Thank you a so much for your help. I’m new in the hobby and still learning. I will get the exo terra mini. We that last for its whole life?
no, it will outgrow it and then you'll need the 12 x 12 x 18

PoeciIotheria

Pokie Collector
I don't think that a bio active setup would benefit an avic much. Not only are they sensitive to humidity and air quality (which become harder to maintain at optimal levels with the requirements to keep a bioactive clean up crew going), but I don't think they would even demand the necessity for one. Avics aren't pokies or psalmos so you don't really have to worry too much about getting in there to clean up the occasional bolus and wipe up poop.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
I am new to tarantulas but I’ve been doing bio active setups for awhile. I plan us a exo terra mini with a desktop fan on the top to add air flow.
Even with a fan I doubt it’ll be dry enough, avics are incredibly finicky with humidity and their optimal care conditions simply do not align with those of springtails, plants etc.

The fan could also disturb the T if strong

If you wanted to do a planted viv it could work with plants with tolerance to low humidity and drought but you simply couldn’t create a completely bioactive enclosure witch aligned with the conditions required for an avic.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fans can disturb Ts I’ve seen it.

Bioactive- waste of time IMO

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I don't know if it can be done with Avics, it can be done with Versicolor. Whether you would want to is another question. Whether it is worth risking the spider is another. As a new T owner, I would skip that and just start with basic husbandry. Biting off more than one can chew at the get go can be problematic