Enclosure for Aviculara versicolor

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Doable. Changes I'd make

1. Decrease sub by at least 50%
2. Make setup arboreal in design, currently it's really setup for a terrestrial.

Avics don't need much to thrive. When I raise slings and even juvis. I drop slings in a Thorton vial with a rectangular slab of cork and a bit of sub-- that's it. I've done the same w/ juvi's or uses plastic plants instead.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
There's an angle I didn't take a picture of, but that cork bark pretty much goes from bottom to top. You may be right on the substrate though...the last enclosure I had this little guy in was webbed up a lot around a small hole in a cork bark I drilled for him. Pretty much stayed there unless I offered food.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's an angle I didn't take a picture of, but that cork bark pretty much goes from bottom to top. You may be right on the substrate though...the last enclosure I had this little guy in was webbed up a lot around a small hole in a cork bark I drilled for him. Pretty much stayed there unless I offered food.
Trust me on the sub. I've raised a lot of Avic slings, they don't need that much. Decreasing the sub level, INCREASES the amount of vertical height they have.:D

wabbitGTI

Arachnopeon
I will also add that I housed my avic in an almost identical enclosure and he/she webbed along the top and onto the opening portion of the lid. As mentioned elsewhere this caused the webbing to be torn anytime I needed to open the enclosure. That's also where the sling hid out, so over the side it would go whenever the lid was opened.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I will also add that I housed my avic in an almost identical enclosure and he/she webbed along the top and onto the opening portion of the lid. As mentioned elsewhere this caused the webbing to be torn anytime I needed to open the enclosure. That's also where the sling hid out, so over the side it would go whenever the lid was opened.
Yes, its referred as "the jack-in-the -box effect ". A problem with top opening enclosures, 16&32 oz. deli containers, used by many keepers.
I use inverted ones, they bolt up, I remove the bottom, do maintenance or whatever and replace. Simple and no escapes.
P. reduncus sling just spins new silk when the bottom is removed and destroys its webbing. I keep the soil dry the bottle cap full at all times. Haven't had problems feeding live prey, arboreal are excellent hunters.

Attachments